WiFi automatic reconnect suddenly stopped working

anon(10103970)

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi!

I'm on Windows 10 Mobile (1607) 10.0.14393.576. I've got my Lumia 950 just a few weeks ago and everything was running fine.

Since a few days WiFi suddenly seems to be completely broken out of nowhere. It doesn't automatically reconnect to known WiFi networks. Manually it works to connect to WiFi, but I don't get internet access. All other devices on the same network are working fine.

Also the device doesn't seem to find any WiFi networks when going to Settings - Network and WiFi - WiFi. Sometimes it properly detects WiFi networks, sometimes not or only the known WiFi network. When I'm looking on the WiFi settings screen, some weird stuff happens. Known WiFi, while not connected, suddenly shows "No internet access", WiFi gets deactivated automatically, then reconnects and the message "No internet access" disappears even though in fact internet still doesn't work.

I've also tried different settings i.e. enabling/disabling setting a random MAC address or autotconnect to ISP Hotspots etc All to no avail. Usually I'm connecting to only two different WiFi networks. My 5 GHz ac-network at home and a 2.4 GHz network at work. That's it.

Tried the search, but what I found didn't fit to my issue. Any advice?

Last edited:

anon(10103970)

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Unlikely that two different routers in two different locations are producing the same issue with WiFi on my Lumia, don't you think? So no router reboot, but I will try it at home. On the router at work I don't have access.

A soft reset would be my absolute last step since I don't want to setup the whole device from scratch.

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Note that WiFi issues have been reported for a long time. Just this morning, I noticed that my 950 on insider build 14977 had disconnected from WiFi overnight and did not automatically reconnect. When I opened the WiFi settings, all the local access points were visible including mine. While I was watching (and a couple minutes after unlocking the phone) it suddenly connected. This issue was much worse for me on the previous insider build. Today was the first I saw it on 14977.

This is more than an annoyance.... it can cost real money. If WiFi is not connected when you expect it to be, you can use significant cell data without knowing it. Yes, you can see that it is disconnected but it is easy to forget to look. And of course you should not have to.

You are on the production build 14393..... good luck. The issue is still present in the current insider build 14977 and your production build is many many MANY builds behind 14977 :(

Paul

jlsl

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Any news in fixing the problem with automatic wifi connection?
It happens to me every day, several times a day and it is wasting my allocation of data and costing me money.
I keep my phone constantly updated to see if there is a new built that fixes this but none has come so far.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Since it does not happen to me, ever, I do not expect any fix. My L950 (and 2 of my friends) does not have any problems with automatic WiFi connection...

anon(10103970)

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Soft reset didn't help. In the meantime I noticed that while over the last days it successfully connected automatically with my home network, but unfortunately it does only occasionally auto-connect with my work's WiFi even though it's the same router as my private one at home.

I tried removing the saved WiFi networks and re-adding them, but to no avail. Maybe it has something to do with Whatsapp especially when using Whatsapp Web, because I noticed that WiFi internet access got lost when I connected my Whatsapp client on W10 with Whatsapp Web, but that might just be a coincidence (most likely).

At this point I tried everything I can imagine of (except for a factory reset, but really want to avoid that). No more clues over here how to tackle this. Really disappointing.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Do you stil have problems connecting manualy as you wrote in first post:
"Manually it works to connect to WiFi, but I don't get internet access." ?

Does, in this case, turning phone WiFi OFF for 10 seconds and then ON help you get to internet?
Similar behaviour I have with my L830 always on some routers, on many others it works as expected...

anon(10103970)

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, this did the trick. At least temporarily.

I deleted the network information from my 950, then deactivated WiFi for 10 seconds, reactivated it and then re-connected to the WiFi network with entering the password once again. Now it seems to work, but the question is for how long. Something is definitely absolutely broken with the WiFi implementation in W10 Mobile.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
This is the sad result of an ongoing game to improve wifi security, and some routers have problems to answer to the needs. It does not happen only with W10, it happens with new Linux distros also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro