05-15-2017 01:27 PM
34 12
tools
    I know this is a somewhat old thread, but it came up during a search so I figured I would post my experience. I recently started using a 950 I purchased during the last Black Friday BOGO deal. I've probably been using it for three weeks, maybe. Last night it fell out of my coat as I was getting out of my car. It fell from approximately waist height, so probably 3-4 feet. I did not see how it landed on the asphalt parking lot, but the screen cracked in the far upper right corner, and there is a crack running almost the entire length of the screen down the right side. I'm kinda bummed. It was the first time I had dropped either the 950 or the 950XL. My 920 survived God knows how many drops. Some of those drops may have contributed to its demise, but it never really seemed to sustain any damage from a drop. The 950 must have landed right on the corner. There are no visible marks on the case.

I've just started searching the forums for information, but has anyone had a screen successfully repaired, or replaced one themselves? The phone seems to be fully functional, so I guess it's just the outer glass lens that is cracked. I'm going to chat with Microsoft and see what they have to say. I've been searching for parts online. I found some glass lenses that are pretty cheap, varying from 7-12 bucks, but I have no idea whether they are OEM. They probably are not.

Anyway, I'm a bit bummed. I would love to hear some uplifting experiences from others that have dealt with a damaged 950. I probably prefer my 950XL, but I was really liking the 950 as well. It fits a bit better in my hand compared to the XL.
    04-08-2017 02:58 PM
    the glass part is pretty tough, but the plastic part is just, meh, so here's mine after 1 yrs of use

950 - Album on Imgur

Later, i replace it with this case

green 950 - Album on Imgur

which make the phone feel a lot better and it felt welt built compared to the oem one
    Last edited by farhanaxiq; 05-02-2017 at 02:14 AM.
    05-01-2017 11:17 PM
    NO, only models that were under Nokia design control (until Lx30) were tough enough to work flawlessly after numerous drops...
    Completely untrue.

My Lumia 822 was a brick house, but my Lumia 830 was less sturdy than any iPhone I've had.

My Lumia 950 is very tough. I couldn't tell you how many times I've dropped it on tile, concrete & asphalt, works great and the screen has never cracked.

I use no case, only a tempered glass protector that I've changed several times and I've gone through a couple of Mozo back covers that have cracked around the chrome-ish band.

Other than the bricks of yesterday like the 822 and my old Casio tough flip phone, the Lumia 950 is the toughest modern smartphone I've had... and I've bought about 2 dozen phones over the 5 years.
    05-02-2017 12:06 AM
    My wife dropped her 950 into the toilet - fished it out and dried it off after removing the back and battery - it's working perfectly. She uses a Mozo flip cover. I use a Tech21 Evo Check case, which provides protection and gives good grip in the hand. It's a small investment versus the price of the phone. https://www.tech21.com/en_us/evo-che...soft-lumia-950
    05-04-2017 05:07 AM
    But does it smell funny??
    LOL

... !!
    05-04-2017 05:10 AM
    There are tough phones. Then there is the 920, they don't call it a brick for nothing. I've dropped mine, skidded on the floor more times than I can recall. Mine went naked but with a plastic screen protector. Eventually, that came off too and I couldn't find replacements.
    It's one tough cookie.
    Legend has it that it stops bullets and save lives. ...

... !!
    05-04-2017 05:15 AM
    The 950 is similar in design and build materials to a 640. I'd say it would be similar in "toughness".

However, I have had one with a case and used it for a year without any problems. Comparing a phone breaking with a drop is tough, because even when you experience a drop, it could drop a thousand different ways that could it would survive without harm, but if it fell on a pebble, that would almost certainly crack the screen. It doesn't matter at that point how much engineering went into the phone. Getting a lightweight case that protects the edges of the glass would be a better option.
    This is something I haven't had to deal with, with my current blackberry q5. It's got a plastic screen. Never really understood the decision to use glass.
    05-04-2017 06:36 AM
    There are tough phones. Then there is the 920, they don't call it a brick for nothing. I've dropped mine, skidded on the floor more times than I can recall. Mine went naked but with a plastic screen protector. Eventually, that came off too and I couldn't find replacements.
    It's one tough cookie.
    Legend has it that it stops bullets and save lives. ...

... !!
    Hmm, curious, any other still vaguely up to spec "tough" nokia windows mobiles?
    raycpl likes this.
    05-04-2017 06:38 AM
    It's a pretty durable phone. I think in part because of the removable back. I've dropped my 950 so many times and have gone through 2 mozo backs already because they broke upon impact. I have a tempered glass screen protector on the front and that seems to do its job well. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th glass protector. I've had them shatter completely before but the screen was always pristine underneath.

Check out this JerryRig YouTube vid where he stress tests the 950XL, even he was surprised at its durability.
    05-15-2017 01:27 PM
34 12