Groove auto-open with headphones?

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to get Groove to auto-open when I plug headphones in? I've tried it locked and unlocked, and it won't do it. Also, the headphones don't show up in "Devices" when I plug them in. I'm running stock W10M, and audio does actually play through the headphones. Is that only in Insider Preview? I had Preview Release on my 640, and I'm almost positive it worked on there, and that it said "Gadgets" instead of devices. I would check it myself, but the 640 is at home, and I'm impatient, in addition to being absent minded... Just been one of those days!

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Use the Gadgets app. It's an actual built in app not a setting. Then you can customise it to open a certain app like Groove when they're plugged in. I've just tested it using wired headphones to make sure. The headphones show up as Wired Accessory in the app and I clicked 'Customise' and set it to open Groove when plugged in and it worked perfectly. I use the app everyday to automatically launch TuneIn Radio when my phone connects to my car Bluetooth system. It even shows you on a map the location of your car etc when it disconnected which is handy if you forgot where you parked your car

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Use the Gadgets app. It's an actual built in app not a setting. Then you can customise it to open a certain app like Groove when they're plugged in. I've just tested it using wired headphones to make sure. The headphones show up as Wired Accessory in the app and I clicked 'Customise' and set it to open Groove when plugged in and it worked perfectly. I use the app everyday to automatically launch TuneIn Radio when my phone connects to my car Bluetooth system. It even shows you on a map the location of your car etc when it disconnected which is handy of you forgot where's you parked car

Great tip...thank you!:^)

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! The location thing is cool, may come in handy! I'm not sure how I managed to forget that, but I set up my 640 months and months ago, just got the 950 about 3 weeks ago, and that was driving me nuts, lol

JMX777

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Use the Gadgets app. It's an actual built in app not a setting. Then you can customise it to open a certain app like Groove when they're plugged in. I've just tested it using wired headphones to make sure. The headphones show up as Wired Accessory in the app and I clicked 'Customise' and set it to open Groove when plugged in and it worked perfectly. I use the app everyday to automatically launch TuneIn Radio when my phone connects to my car Bluetooth system. It even shows you on a map the location of your car etc when it disconnected which is handy if you forgot where you parked your car

Were can I found that app? Link ? Thx!!!!

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Gadgets app isn't really a system app since you can reinstall it, meaning you can download it from the app store. I did it before with my 830 and my current 950, but that was many months ago before AU was even released. Maybe MS had changed the way Gadgets app works, as in they may have made it into a system app.

Anyway, it should be on your phone by default. I've done a few hard reset on both my phones, and the Gadgets app seems to be present all the time. There are only a few times that the Gadget apps have been problematic for me, and that is when the app is there, but it won't detect when I plug in my headphones.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Gadgets app isn't really a system app since you can reinstall it, meaning you can download it from the app store. I did it before with my 830 and my current 950, but that was many months ago before AU was even released. Maybe MS had changed the way Gadgets app works, as in they may have made it into a system app.

Anyway, it should be on your phone by default. I've done a few hard reset on both my phones, and the Gadgets app seems to be present all the time. There are only a few times that the Gadget apps have been problematic for me, and that is when the app is there, but it won't detect when I plug in my headphones.

I have check the MS Store....twice, and both times it doesn't show a GADGETS app. Am I losing my mind?

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have check the MS Store....twice, and both times it doesn't show a GADGETS app. Am I losing my mind?

No you're not losing your mind. It's just not listed in the store generally as it's only for Lumia phones and if you do have a Lumia it's probably already in your apps list. If not I've included a link in this reply (it may only be in the 'links' over there on the left <<<<)

Gadgets https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...e%2Fp%2Fgadgets%2F9wzdncrfj3df&token=NrxyCLvi

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely nothing happens when I plug in the headset, weird.

For what it is worth; the last two days (after reading the tip from dov1978) I was able to turn my Groove App on via my Bluetooth Headset, but this morning I had to go to Gadgets, and manual connect to the headset I use for running (because it was connected to my Desk's BT Headset), the running headset in turn opened Groove, I was then able to hit play to start the music over BT. So.... you may need to go into Gadgets and disconnect one device for the other...just a thought?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb