Smart Watch/Fitness Tracker for a 950?

neutropia

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
My wife walks a lot for her job and has expressed interested in a fitbit for her birthday. That got me looking into the MS Band but based on reviews that's a huge gamble on reliability which I won't be doing.

So are there any smart watches that would work well with her phone To where she can read texts, etc.? Also, does the fit bit work well with her phone or does anyone have a better suggestions that can track her steps, distance, etc?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The FitBit is better as a fitness tracker. I believe that the Vector Luna watch will allow her to read texts and notifications. However, FitBit now owns Vector so i'm not sure how long the Vector app will continue to receive updates.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My wife has the Fitbit Alta. Hers is paired to an iphone, but she gets text alerts, etc. I'm not sure how this is on W10M. If she wants more of smart watch, the Fitbit Blaze has a larger color screen.

There is a sub-forum here for smartwatches you may want to check that out.

Smartwatches

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to reaffirm your decision to not go the Microsoft Band route. I have owned both the Band and Band 2 which work well as a fitness tracker but do not hold up well over time. The build quality just isn't there for me.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I love the band 2. Just a fantastic smart device but it does have some build quality issues others have experienced.

Definitely enjoying all the features though.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I love the band 2. Just a fantastic smart device but it does have some build quality issues others have experienced.

Definitely enjoying all the features though.

Mine lasted a year and stopped charging. I sent it to MS and they sent it back unfixed and claimed outside damage had caused the issue. I had a chip on the screen the size of a rice grain which did not hinder the touch screen at all.

My wife stopped using hers so i stole hers for my work outs.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Mine lasted a year and stopped charging. I sent it to MS and they sent it back unfixed and claimed outside damage had caused the issue. I had a chip on the screen the size of a rice grain which did not hinder the touch screen at all.

My wife stopped using hers so i stole hers for my work outs.

Yeah definitely some durability issues which is too bad considering how nice of a wearable it is.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately there aren't any MS Bands left, unless MS has started the production back up. It's unfortunate, the features were terrific and it worked very well. When the rubber on my band recently split, I did a little research and bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR. It doesn't have the features that the MS Band2 had, but it will count steps, calories, sleep monitoring, and will alert texts and emails. There is a Win10 mobile app from Garmin that works with the Vivosmart HR.

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Anyone have any success using a 950 with a Garmin vivoactive HR? I currently have a L640 and while I was able to initially pair the watch with the 640, I can seldom connect with it. Since I'm considering upgrading to the 950, connectivity with my Garmin will be another feather in the 950's hat.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth LE is very unreliable on W10M. I have not had any of the build issues on my Band 2 and I've had it for about a year and a half. I've tried Fitbits and Pebble Time Steel on Windows over the years but their connection is miserable. The Band 2 stays locked on like a guided missile but the range is deplorable.

Frank DiGiorgio

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a Fitbit Blaze which I needed for phone/text notifications which worked great on my iPhone 6+. Having recently moved to my 950, I no longer receive the phone/text notifications which I verified on the Fitbit website. Still, it works great with the 950 and maybe someday, phone/text notifications will be available on the 950.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs