950 or 950XL

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
just got a 640 love it, just wondered is the 950 much different in speed cant make my mind up if i want another 5" screen or the huge 950XL, any advice would be helpful.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
the 950 series is miles ahead of the budget snapdragon 400 installed in the 640. It is immediately noticeable in speed and performance.

Between the 950 XL and 950 I guess it'll be just preference in terms of the size.
I've read though that the Lumia 950 XL beats it in terms of the battery.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree. Speed is no comparison. I was keeping one foot in W10M with the 640, but decided to jump back in with a 950 due to the speed. You really don't get the best experience with W10M without the extra power of the 950. It didn't use to be the case, but sadly now you need better hardware to really get the most out of the OS.

I also like the size of the 950 best. It is pretty much the perfect size for me. I had the 1520 a while back and don't want to go back to devices that size, that is why I didn't splurge for the Elite X3. I know the 950 XL kind of falls in the middle, but I really like the size of the 950. That is also why I bought a Google Pixel instead of the XL. At least in Microsoft's case you really aren't losing anything spec-wise between the regular 950 and the XL. You will get better battery life with the XL though.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have both a 950 and 950XL. If I could only have one, I would probably choose the XL, but I have been enjoying the 950 as well. It fits a bit better in my hand. Unfortunately, I dropped it a couple of days ago and the screen cracked. The phone still works, but that was a bummer to say the least.

I haven't done any close side by side comparisons between the two phones. I bought them back in November during the last BOGO deal, and I had only been using the 950 for about three weeks. I didn't really much difference in terms of performance between the two, even though the XL has a faster processor. I would say that the battery life on the XL seems better.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Right ok, so I did it today, exchanged my 640 for a 950. Wow what a fantastic device, the screen is far superior and everything speeds along nicely, battery is draining relatively fast, but then its doing its setups so hopefully will settle down. Love the dedicated camera button.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yeah the battery drain could be caused by apps updating in the Store (check them out)
Also, your Messaging History being pulled from the server (if you chose to restore from backup)

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I owned a 950 and found the battery to drain fast for me. I dropped it and smashed the screen shortly after getting it and replaced it with a 950xl and the battery was much better and the phone isn't really much bigger than hand the regular 950. It's noticeably faster too in my opinion.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Battery life has settled down very well now everything has finished setting up, seems a lot better than my old note 5, still using an iPhone 6 for some gaming, but the battery life on that is terrible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon