From Lumia 950 to Moto Z - what will I loose?

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Due to I need an Android phone at work I am switching from Lumia 950 to Moto Z.

I know what I gain with android - a lot of apps. But what would I lose? Of course I will be missing excellent Windows 10 Mobile UI and very good design of Lumia 950. But do I loose anything else after switching?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
They're different OS's but I mean they're all technically designed to do similar things in call, text and be smart devices. Yes, there's a lot more apps.

Like the above poster said give android a try, you may just like it. Or you may come scrambling back to w10. You never know unless you try.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It depends on what you use from Microsoft.

Outlook on Android only syncs contacts and not your calendar but even with that, an Exchange setup is required. Cortana is comparable but not as deep as she is on Windows 10 devices. You'll miss those two things. I don't know how up to date Groove Music is on Android.

I ditto the people above me in saying that you should just give it a try.

Charles Rice

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I've owned a Lumia 950 since launch day and a Moto Z Droid since black friday. The moto is definitely faster all around, gets better battery life even with a smaller battery. The Lumia camera is better by a long shot(better than the hassleblad mod as well except for zoom). The screens are comparable, but Windows Mobile UI looks so damn nice on an AMOLED display. Everything for the most part on Android has a white background, be ready. You will lose wireless charging unless you get a mod for it. You will lose removable battery unless you buy a mod(not truly removable, but really nice feature). You will lose your headphone jack unless you get the Z Play. You will lose double tap. You will lose always on glance as the moto display only turns on for a second like peek mode on glance. I ******* MISS READIT SO MUCH. Well and myTube! and I prefer Huetro to the native Hue app. You literally gain alllllll teh apps. Anyway, if you need any more help, check out my subreddit /r/microsoftandroid

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Your privacy and sanity? Sent from mTalk on my SP4

^^^ exactly this! can't stand my crapdroid phone... what's the use of having ALL THOSE APPS when ur literally afraid you might get hacked of sensitive data stolen from all those nice apps?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
^^^ exactly this! can't stand my crapdroid phone... what's the use of having ALL THOSE APPS when ur literally afraid you might get hacked of sensitive data stolen from all those nice apps?

That certainly depends though. Android has really improved the last couple builds and really allows you to tweak your privacy settings. You can now give permissions to what you want in the apps so it's ultimately your decision what you do now.

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I am not really concerned about privacy because I will install only trusted apps and will certainly check privacy settings in the phone. Thank you for your feedback! So here is teh summary of what I loos and gain

Gain:
+ apps
+ speed (though I am happy with 905 speed)
+ battery life
+ fingerprint sensor (I believe this one much better then Lumia eye recognition)

Loose:
- Excellent windows UI :(
- Excellent Camera quality :(
- Glance screen :(
- Good Lumia design ( I personally prefer it over Moto design)
- AMOLED screen colors
- Wireles charging (no prob. I plan to get the mod with it)
- headphone jack (no prob. I use BT headphones)
- removable batter (no prob. because I will buy battery mod)
- double tap (no prob. never used it)
- Cortana (no prob. Never used it anyway)

Uh, oh. It is not a disaster but I will report back after using Moto for some time. My GF will still use Lumia 950 because she absoluytelly hate Android and iPhone and she is happy whith what Windows mobile provides to her.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
That certainly depends though. Android has really improved the last couple builds and really allows you to tweak your privacy settings. You can now give permissions to what you want in the apps so it's ultimately your decision what you do now.

no not really, because the apps in question want permission to all your contacts and photos and videos and other stuff that they really shouldn't be asking for permission for... so there is only 1 decision and that's to refuse... and that's every app and game that I have come across in the google play store... every single one!...

Last edited:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I am not really concerned about privacy because I will install only trusted apps and will certainly check privacy settings in the phone.

any person who is not really concerned of their privacy is a fool, because its not only YOUR privacy that's at risk but every single person in your contact list and everyone you call or interact with... and all these "trusted" apps you call, is also asking to have access/permission to your private life and all your contacts private life... people need to open their eyes to all these apps that ask to have access too... and if you still don't care then I feel sorry for your friends and family who you have as a contact...

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
no not really, because the apps in question want permission to all your contacts and photos and videos and other stuff that they really shouldn't be asking for permission for... so there is only 1 decision and that's to refuse... and that's every app and game that I have come across in the google play store... every single one!...

Yeah but you can refuse to give them permission to that and then they don't have access to it. Say facebook for example or the windows central app all want access to your location. I mark it as no or refuse and they don't have access to it. The apps still work and that's fine. Some may not function if you don't give access to certain things but they usually have the information as to why they're asking for it.

Do some ask for more than they need? Sure. It's like anything though in that you need to be smart in what you download and add to your device.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I am not really concerned about privacy because I will install only trusted apps and will certainly check privacy settings in the phone. Thank you for your feedback! So here is teh summary of what I loos and gain

Gain:
+ apps
+ speed (though I am happy with 905 speed)
+ battery life
+ fingerprint sensor (I believe this one much better then Lumia eye recognition)

Loose:
- Excellent windows UI :(
- Excellent Camera quality :(
- Glance screen :(
- Good Lumia design ( I personally prefer it over Moto design)
- AMOLED screen colors
- Wireles charging (no prob. I plan to get the mod with it)
- headphone jack (no prob. I use BT headphones)
- removable batter (no prob. because I will buy battery mod)
- double tap (no prob. never used it)
- Cortana (no prob. Never used it anyway)

Uh, oh. It is not a disaster but I will report back after using Moto for some time. My GF will still use Lumia 950 because she absoluytelly hate Android and iPhone and she is happy whith what Windows mobile provides to her.

You have a smart GF.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
You gain apps, but you also lose apps. Windows might not have every Android app, but Android doesn't have every Windows app either.

Yeah, but many major companies do not make apps for Windows Mobile. I imagine I would have better control of my home theater, file servers , IoT if I buy Android phone. It remained to be seen. Even company I work for develop apps only for Android and iPhone. We dropped Windows a couple of years ago as there are barely any users for it.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've recently switched back to iPhone 7 plus but I still can't stop picking my 950xl back up at every opportunity. Definitely miss the UI, Glance and double tap to wake but one of the weirdest things I'm missing is the sounds lol. The keyboard 'pops' as I type and the lock and unlock sounds are strangely satisfying for some reason? Really miss the camera UI too and the dedicated camera button

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I have ordered Moto Z to replace mine 950 and 2 Samsung A5 to replace fathers 920 and mothers 650. Let's see how it turns out moving the entire family to Android. Except the wise GF who stays with 950

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have ordered Moto Z to replace mine 950 and 2 Samsung A5 to replace fathers 920 and mothers 650. Let's see how it turns out moving the entire family to Android. Except the wise GF who stays with 950

Good luck with the transition! Please let us know how it goes for you.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Negative: You'll gain full screen pop ups, and the monetization of your personal data.
You'll lose the exact degree of interopability with windows pc, although retain some. Some degree of Cortana ability.

Neutral to positive: You'll also get a vast selection of different apps, some of which are good, many of which are terrible. Advice - select your apps well, be picky. While win10 mobile has some dodgy apps, android has them in oceans - and pretty much everything in android is monetized, even the most half-assed code you can dream of. Some of android disadvantages here in terms of ad saturation, freemium and datamining can be mitigated by being very choosey - go for paid apps without ads, trials/demos, over free with ads where offered the choice or in app purchases.

Positive: Device manufacturers make android apps. If you have a lot of connected stuff, android is easier. Of course if you have windows 10 mobile, in most cases you can choose your gear on the basis of which apps are available, but if you already have it, that don't work. I think this is probably the greatest advantage, that and banking apps (pretty much everything else you can do on win10mobile, except for niche stuff).

Google assistant is arguably marginally ahead right now, although siri, alexa and Cortana updates are all incoming this year AFAIK. Of course if you use PC, you'll probably want to stick to Cortana for timeline etc.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss