From Lumia 950 to Moto Z - what will I loose?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You'll lose a phone that can't stay on. Microsoft pulled these off the shelves for a reason.
As I said the phone's had run their course, being released in 2015.

Anyways, I'm sorry to hear you had a poor experience but it's one of many risks we take when dealing with phones with a past. I once had an 830 that randomly rebooted (not inherent to the phone though), but thankfully it was still under warranty and was replaced.

Craig Montgomery

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
As I said the phone's had run their course, being released in 2015.

Anyways, I'm sorry to hear you had a poor experience but it's one of many risks we take when dealing with phones with a past. I once had an 830 that randomly rebooted (not inherent to the phone though), but thankfully it was still under warranty and was replaced.

They were pulled pretty suddenly, when they hadn't been out very long. You know it's not just me, right?

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
They were pulled pretty suddenly, when they hadn't been out very long. You know it's not just me, right?

Sorry, your conspiracy theory doesn't hold water.

I understand that you are having issues, and others have as well, but Microsoft didn't stop selling this phone (and the 950XL, 650, and 550) because of that.

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Ok, finally I got Moto Z and after 1 day of usage here is the difference:

Moto Z minuses in comaprison with Lumia 950:
- Design - I prefer rectangular Lumia 950
- Volume keys - those are so small on Moto Z that I cannot press them. Terrible.
- Browsing - page scrolling is not as smooth as in Lumia
- UI - Stock Android UI is crap. I installed Nova launcher and it is slightly better but still not as good as Lumia Windows 10 UI
- Cases - there are only 2!!! Moto Z mod friendly cases on the market. One is sold only in USA and other is sold in Europe. No selection.

Moto Z pluses in comparison with Lumia 950:
- Apps - a lot of Android Apps of excellent quality :)
- VR - have not tried that but excited that I have it
- Moto HW features like do not disturb when you put phone up side down, or switching camera on shaking the phone etc.
- Finger print sensor - WAY better and faster than eye recognition on Lumia

Overally, if both phones would have the same amount and quality of apps I would choose Lumia. But this is not the case so I am sticking with Moto. It is a great phone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, finally I got Moto Z and after 1 day of usage here is the difference:

Moto Z minuses in comaprison with Lumia 950:
- Design - I prefer rectangular Lumia 950
- Volume keys - those are so small on Moto Z that I cannot press them. Terrible.
- Browsing - page scrolling is not as smooth as in Lumia
- UI - Stock Android UI is crap. I installed Nova launcher and it is slightly better but still not as good as Lumia Windows 10 UI
- Cases - there are only 2!!! Moto Z mod friendly cases on the market. One is sold only in USA and other is sold in Europe. No selection.

Moto Z pluses in comparison with Lumia 950:
- Apps - a lot of Android Apps of excellent quality :)
- VR - have not tried that but excited that I have it
- Moto HW features like do not disturb when you put phone up side down, or switching camera on shaking the phone etc.
- Finger print sensor - WAY better and faster than eye recognition on Lumia

Overally, if both phones would have the same amount and quality of apps I would choose Lumia. But this is not the case so I am sticking with Moto. It is a great phone.

Definitely try Chrome or Firefox if you haven't already. I've found those to be superior to Edge on mobile.

You can also try 10 Launcher or my personal favorite Evie to mix things up.

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
You can also try 10 Launcher or my personal favorite Evie to mix things up.

Thank yu for suggestion! I installed "10 Launcher" and it is very close to Metro UI. In some areas it is betetr like adding several desktops and making app menu smaller. In some areas it has shortcomings in comparison with Lumia but I am extremely happy with a end result!

My Moto Z feel like Windows 10 phone now :) So it has both strengths of Android apps and Metro launcher.

123.jpg

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I continue using my Moto Z and I found out I could configure Metro UI on it. So the only thing I am missing from Lumia 950 now are:
- Great camera (Moto Z has so so camera)
- Great navigation keys (I hate Android navigation)

The rest Moto Z is better. Look how my Moto Z look now :)
m1.png

m2.png

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I continue using my Moto Z and I found out I could configure Metro UI on it. So the only thing I am missing from Lumia 950 now are:
- Great camera (Moto Z has so so camera)
- Great navigation keys (I hate Android navigation)

The rest Moto Z is better. Look how my Moto Z look now :)
View attachment 137077

View attachment 137078

Does it even display info like the tiles do on Windows Mobile? Im honestly surprise developers don't get sued by Microsoft for this. Just saying. Cause dang that looks very close to Windows Mobile 10. Though im sure there something about it that doesn't make it like the full blown Windows Mobile shell...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does it even display info like the tiles do on Windows Mobile? Im honestly surprise developers don't get sued by Microsoft for this. Just saying. Cause dang that looks very close to Windows Mobile 10. Though im sure there something about it that doesn't make it like the full blown Windows Mobile shell...

It depends on the individual app. There's ways to handle tile info like going off of notification count, widgets...

And these probably are flying under Microsoft's radar since MS has better things to do and going after some small-time developer who I'm sure is a fan to some degree would be too heavy-handed.

EDIT: Not to mention, pretty darn unproductive.

Last edited:

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site

Yeah, that particular "Launcher 10" launcher does have Live titles for Photos, Messages and some other apps. It works exactly the same as on Windows 10. But! The battery usage is much higher with Live titles activated on Android. So if you are after battery life then I recommend to disable them in app settings.

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
It depends on the individual app. There's ways to handle tile info like going off of notification count, widgets...

And these probably are flying under Microsoft's radar since MS has better things to do and going after some small-time developer who I'm sure is a fan to some degree would be too heavy-handed.

EDIT: Not to mention, pretty darn unproductive.

Funny fact is that Microsoft actually developed Android launcher that you can install from Google Play that looks nothing like Metro UI. It is just same generic Android launcher with icons. IMHO I would really appreciate if Microsoft will bring Metro UI to Android. Then we are talking :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs