If you were to switch phones today...

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
... what would you go for, and why?

FWIW, I plan on sticking with my 950 for two years total (I've had it for about 8 months). But recent news has me thinking about the future.

Camera is my number one desire in a phone.

Apple cameras have always seemed too soft and painterly to me. Sony phone cameras always seem crazily over-enhanced and artifact-laden. Samsung makes a heck of a camera, but their phones are soooo expensive and loaded with crapware.

I've been looking at Huawei's Leica-branded phone cameras. They seem pretty close to 950 quality.

What else would you guys be into and why? Samsung? Google? LG? Apple? Huawei? Sony? Something else?

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the Huawei Mate 9.
The camera on the Mate 9 in my opinion is just this side of perfect.

Nokia cameras were very hard to beat in the past.
This is no longer true.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a L950 as well which is my 5th Windows Phone (L800,900,920&830) I love the camera and the easy to use OS. If I were to switch to another phone I would lean towards a Sony Xperia or a android Nokia (Nokia 6/8).

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a L950 as well which is my 5th Windows Phone (L800,900,920&830) I love the camera and the easy to use OS. If I were to switch to another phone I would lean towards a Sony Xperia or a android Nokia (Nokia 6/8).

My history is L900,1020,950. I also have a 640 that I purchased as a music player/W10M testbed, and a Honor 5X that I received from Amazon to review. The 1020 camera is the best of the bunch, but the 950 is close and is certainly WAY faster.

The Nokia 9 will be on my radar next year and I will watch it closely.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I already have. I would choose the Google Pixel again. I no longer take pictures using any of my other phones, including the 950.

Performance is good and it makes a great point and shoot which is how I shoot.

Additionally the 950 is kind of big. I'm into the smaller phones.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I too would switch to the Pixel that is in my closet right now, but I like the W10M experience better so I will stick with my 950.

Yeah I can get this.

I like the W10M experience better too but it's not worth the battery life tradeoff for me. I really value battery life and size together so I can't imagine doing such a tradeoff that would inconvenience me and my lifestyle.

The iPhone SE nails it for me and the Pixel generally nails it. I wish there was a smaller Windows phone that have really good battery life. That doesn't exist though.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is for sure a tradeoff, but it always gets me through the day (though some times just barely), so it is still good enough. The Pixel did great on battery life, always had 40-60% left at the end of the work day, and back to 100% on the drive home.

I was really close to getting the SE. I like the design (mainly for the nostalgia) and the battery life, but I kept thinking I would miss the larger screen.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Battery life is for sure a tradeoff, but it always gets me through the day (though some times just barely), so it is still good enough. The Pixel did great on battery life, always had 40-60% left at the end of the work day, and back to 100% on the drive home.

I was really close to getting the SE. I like the design (mainly for the nostalgia) and the battery life, but I kept thinking I would miss the larger screen.

Ohh okay. At least it is getting you through the day. Even on battery saver, it barely did for me. That's so true.

It's funny that you say that about missing the larger screen. I went the other way, I'm basically giving up my 950 for the 650 because of size. It's a downgrade sure but not as much as going to the 550 will be.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Camera tops my list too so still riding the GS7 wave at 13 months in, best all-around phone I've ever owned in regards to functionality, tweak ability and reliability. Did not even consider the 8/8+ as IMO it wasn't a worthy upgrade for my type of usage. As well, I'd rather have a phone that is a smidgen wider than taller which brings to mind the Lumia 650, still the most comfortable handset for me w/case I've chosen. Not into the "edge/curved" type screen either, call me old fashioned or whatever but that aspect does little for me.

Coming in second is my LG L4, the most fluid phone we've ever used even though it's now aged. Had mine for 17 months and so far little to complain about with only one hard rest in that time, thankfully it hasn't succumbed to the elusive boot-loop issue that many have reported.

Still use my L950 from time to time and it's a decent phone, the problem is the OS has a tenancy to mar its performance capabilities which is pretty evident when I compare it against my G4. Daily usage highlights this fact and soon I find myself becoming annoyed with it.

Use iOS on my iPad Mini 4 and love it, just not for me on a phone... My wife uses it on here iPhone 6/6S Plus and iPad's (1st, 4th and NEW gen iPad), works for her.

Haven't seen or heard of anything as of late that has me yearning for anything different. If something does come along, decent camera, expandable storage and removable battery will be high on my list as "must-haves", and most probably it'll be of the Android variety.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Whatever it ended up being I know one thing, I'm done paying exorbitant prices for a smartphone. It has to be affordable.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually did cry when I sold my L1020

I wasn't too unhappy when I dumped my 1020.
Sure would have been so kool to have an updated version of it.
If I ever spot another like new or actual new one for the right price I'll most likely re-grab it for my camera arsenal.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Whatever it ended up being I know one thing, I'm done paying exorbitant prices for a smartphone. It has to be affordable.

I'll agree with you that pricing is getting out-of-hand. Obviously these manufactures finally took notice that Apple is able to sustain itself at a premium price so why can't we. Personally I'm not finding the $$$ coinciding with whats being offered, but then that's just me.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'll agree with you that pricing is getting out-of-hand. Obviously these manufactures finally took notice that Apple is able to sustain itself at a premium price so why can't we. Personally I'm not finding the $$$ coinciding with whats being offered, but then that's just me.

You're right, there has to be demand or it wouldn't be sustainable. Apple, Samsung, even Google now with the Pixel are taking advantage of the market. In the U.S. the carriers have come up with plans where people make payments or I doubt half of them would purchase the phones. I purchase outright so am less inclined to settle for higher prices.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Yeah. I want premium camera performance, but I think $400 is about my limit (I paid $300 for the 950). So I may get a premium phone a year into its sales life.

I frequently miss the final results my 1020 could produce, but I don't miss the laggy camera performance, and the Microsoft apps are better in W10M.

The 950 gets too hot after 20 minutes of use. The battery should perform better. It seems clear that the OS is still not getting the most out of the phone hardware. But, it's $300, and its camera still hasn't been surpassed by the iPhone 7 or Galaxy S7, which retail for twice as much or more. Matched, probably. Surpassed, not in my opinion (and I judge my pics against my wife's iPhone 7 pics all the time, as well as my friend's S7).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb