Do not buy a lumia 950

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Not all phones are perfect. The ones that are certain, watch or read video reviews on the phone, do their research b4 their purchase and are satisfied at the end of the day. I've had my L950 for a lil over a year and I had my hiccups here and there, that's why they have updates and feedback to listen to the users and make them satisfied with their experience. I still stuck with the phone and the platform since the W7 days with my L800.

Jonahtheblaze

May 26, 2017
Visit site
Are you sure that it was certified refurbished? Used to have lot with Iphone and seems working well. Microsoft is trying to pulling all of it, so you might have some problems.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I was saying that now, at THIS time, I was probably not that smart to buy a Lumia 950 in spite of all the reasons I shouldn't.

Has anyone had good luck with aftermarket batteries?

I'm running the latest firmware and non-Preview OS.

Usually with a refurbished model, they'll swap the casing, the screen and the battery. I've had issues with refurbished models, due to the battery not being quite right, especially with pin alignment. Sometimes jamming a bit of folded paper under the battery can make the fit firmer. But with my last phone this caused endless frustrations.

Does the battery hold charger? Does the pin fitting seem firm, or a bit loose?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Having looked at this ->

https://forums.windowscentral.com/m...8938-crashing-battery-issues.html#post3667748

This appears to be a battery pin connection issue. Folded paper, inserted under the battery to force it up a little might provide a temporary solution. Another worthwhile thing to do is to clean the "pads" where the pins connect to with an ear bug, and give the points of the pins themselves a scrub with something metal, like perhaps a coin - make sure there's no build up interfering with the battery contact on either side of the connection.

I had very similar problems on my last reburbished phone a) because there was build up on the pins b) because there was build up on the battery pads. Unfortunately I couldn't find an original battery to replace it, so I jerry rigged it as above, and it was passable.

And might also be worth finding a new battery though, given apparently its still possible (according to above thread).

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Probs an after market battery would work, but you'd have to be a recommend I think on that. This is of course the problem with removeable batteries, especially second hand - lithium batteries build up gunk on the contacts over time, and the pin springs become less springy.

It might also be possible to replace the pins IDK.

maciej paczuski

May 18, 2017
Visit site
Is it not strange that all models have similar problems, I try to find same problems on other brands and it's not as easy as on Lumia, is it sh#* assembly or parts or is it all software

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it not strange that all models have similar problems, I try to find same problems on other brands and it's not as easy as on Lumia, is it sh#* assembly or parts or is it all software
Models, being mass-produced and all tend towards seeing more kinds of issues, whether design etc. It's all perspective. Here are some, to varying degrees that I remember off the top of my head...

iPhone 4 - Antenna Death Grip
iPhone 5 had a battery replacement program early on
Palm Pre - Slider assembly
HTC One (I forget which) - Purple tinted photos?
Nexus 5X, similar era LG phones - bootlooping
Lumia 535 - touchscreen
HP TouchPad (not a phone) - case corner cracks, difficulty reviving after a dead battery
The Galaxy Note 7 had two sizable battery defects and we know what happened there.
BlackBerry Priv's tended to have heat issues.
Nexus 5 had some GPS quirks, whether software or the back cover.

Look hard enough and you will find. Beware the availability heuristic!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

In the case of issues with battery to pin contact with removeable batteries no. I've had the same issues on other reburbished products from other brands with removeable batteries, and I use an e-cig and the battery contacts need constant cleaning or the product ceases to work. The combination of build up on the connectors, and loosening of the springs on the pins, tends to produce issues over time where the contact is not as good.

I had a phone at one point I had to drop, on its side, from a specific height, to get it to boot because of this, lol.

This is more or less just a problem with removeable batteries versus device age, AFAIK. It is very worth using alcohol and giving your lithium battery products a good clean around the battery contacts whether its an e-cig or a phone, and using something slightly abrasive to clean the ends of the pins.

And as far as lose pin springs go, well the best you can really do without replacing them, is to try and put something in there to push the battery up firmer into the springs. A new battery might help too, if they contacts on the existing battery are uncleanable.

As for firmware issues, also not particularly strange. Unfortunate, but not strange. Firmware issues with various products on shipping are not uncommon, and are usually patched over time.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Is it not strange that all models have similar problems
Its not strange for some of a model sharing an issue, but it is pretty rare for those problems to effect a high percent of the phones. Remember, they are field tested before release and the makers know a problem that hits a high percent can cost them billions in sales, repairs and reputation. Most of what is perceived as a common problem only effect a small percent of the phones. The problems are highly visible (which is good) because people complain on forums about problems and join just for that, but almost nobody joins a forum just to praise a perfect product.

I would use these kinds of problems as a tie breaker when choosing between possible new phones (or anything else) but wouldn't absolutely refrain from buying one unless its one of those problems so common it hits the news, has recalls, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea