Taking Leap to the 950

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well.....have had the Nokia 1020 for about 3 years, and while it is still working quite well for me, since I can't seem to update to Windows 10 on it, decided to make a move. Seems like more and more apps are requiring the Windows 10 platform (Garmin, for example) so figured maybe it was time. I kept waiting for a new Microsoft based phone to come out, but doesn't seem to be anything on the immediate horizon. Am I missing some news? Otherwise, hopefully the 950 @ $199 is a good deal and will be a relevant phone for a little longer. I also had a heck of a time finding a 950 which wasn't a refurbished phone. Good move?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yup, that is a very good price. Locked? Either way, a great price.

Only thing that seems certain at this point is a HP elite x3 refresh in the fall. Could be a alcatel, maybe, could also be a wiley fox. No MS phones likely this year- next year at the earliest. And when it comes, it won't be a slab. Maybe a detachable clamshell. Something a bit different.

I've also purchased a 950, just recently, waiting for it in the post.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well.....have had the Nokia 1020 for about 3 years, and while it is still working quite well for me, since I can't seem to update to Windows 10 on it, decided to make a move. Seems like more and more apps are requiring the Windows 10 platform (Garmin, for example) so figured maybe it was time. I kept waiting for a new Microsoft based phone to come out, but doesn't seem to be anything on the immediate horizon. Am I missing some news? Otherwise, hopefully the 950 @ $199 is a good deal and will be a relevant phone for a little longer. I also had a heck of a time finding a 950 which wasn't a refurbished phone. Good move?

Great deal as long as you know what's up with the feature2 and the app situation in Windows Store! Congrats on your new phone!

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1020 myself and you can definitely upgrade to W10M on them, just follow these steps - it's a two-part process, you first need to upgrade from 8.1 to 10586.#07, then you need to decide which of the three available branches of W10M you want to run and apply the update to the latest build on that branch: https://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-how-guides/452310.htm

Well, that is good to know for sure. However, I went to your instructions link and briefly read it and decided that might be above my computer knowledge/pay grade. Maybe I'll give it a go once I get my 950 and it is working well just in case the 1020 implodes when I try it (what usually happens when I try such things). But thanks for letting me know of this option.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for recommendation on the Mozo case....will check it out. The 950 arrived and had a little issue with the battery at first. After sitting overnight it was at 37% and when I unplugged it, it dropped to 0 and cut off. Did a reset, plugged in again and it went to 64% and stopped. Unplugged and tried again later and this time it charged to 100%. I have heard that this often happens with new batteries, so hopefully just a temporary thing.

2 other issues that maybe someone can help on is getting Google calendar to show up on the calendar app. It reads as "Outlook Calendar", but can't find where I change that. Thought I found it, but didn't seem to do the trick. And finally, where do the settings for Quiet Time hang out? Can't seem to find those, grrrrrrrrr.

On a plus side, my Garmin now works with the app AND the notifications work on emails and texts. That was one of the features I really miss with my Band 2 (still wish I had that, grrrrrr, torn band issue) and wouldn't work with Garmin on the Windows 8 OS. Fingers crossed that all else goes well.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Your calendar is one calendar (Outlook Calendar app) and integrates all accounts into one calendar with different colors. If you go to the top where the hamburger symbol is. Touch that and you can see all the calendars added and then long press each one to change the color.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for recommendation on the Mozo case....will check it out. The 950 arrived and had a little issue with the battery at first. After sitting overnight it was at 37% and when I unplugged it, it dropped to 0 and cut off. Did a reset, plugged in again and it went to 64% and stopped. Unplugged and tried again later and this time it charged to 100%. I have heard that this often happens with new batteries, so hopefully just a temporary thing.

2 other issues that maybe someone can help on is getting Google calendar to show up on the calendar app. It reads as "Outlook Calendar", but can't find where I change that. Thought I found it, but didn't seem to do the trick. And finally, where do the settings for Quiet Time hang out? Can't seem to find those, grrrrrrrrr.

On a plus side, my Garmin now works with the app AND the notifications work on emails and texts. That was one of the features I really miss with my Band 2 (still wish I had that, grrrrrr, torn band issue) and wouldn't work with Garmin on the Windows 8 OS. Fingers crossed that all else goes well.

If the battery had never been charged or depleted actively then it just needs to calibrate itself. So keep charging until you get to 100%. Then run it down as much as you can and recharge to 100% again. Hopefully it will be fine.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Beautiful phone. I recommend grabbing a Mozo case. I have the black/silver for my XL and the red/gold for my little guy.

Zachary....did you get the Mozo case that allows for wireless charging? Haven't had a wireless charging set up since my favorite phone the Palm Pre! LOL But figured if I can find a case that will protect my phone some, wouldn't mind being able to charge wirelessly.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Your calendar is one calendar (Outlook Calendar app) and integrates all accounts into one calendar with different colors. If you go to the top where the hamburger symbol is. Touch that and you can see all the calendars added and then long press each one to change the color.

Ended up having to delate the google email account from the phone and reinstalled it and "poof", my calendar was working correctly. It's amazing how you stumble into things. I had deleted another email account and all my contacts were gone, which gave me the idea to delete and reinstall the google email account. Anyway, slowly getting the phone up and running and so far (knock on wood) enjoying the change (although, haven't compared the camera yet to the 1020).

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ended up having to delate the google email account from the phone and reinstalled it and "poof", my calendar was working correctly. It's amazing how you stumble into things. I had deleted another email account and all my contacts were gone, which gave me the idea to delete and reinstall the google email account. Anyway, slowly getting the phone up and running and so far (knock on wood) enjoying the change (although, haven't compared the camera yet to the 1020).

Google tends to do that to me too. Quite a lot actually. I tend to move between Windows phones though...

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If the battery had never been charged or depleted actively then it just needs to calibrate itself. So keep charging until you get to 100%. Then run it down as much as you can and recharge to 100% again. Hopefully it will be fine.

Yup, absolutely right. Other thing with these phones is they only charge when on, AFAIK, not when switched off. So to get the most juice, jam it in flight mode so the battery aint draining.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yup, absolutely right. Other thing with these phones is they only charge when on, AFAIK, not when switched off. So to get the most juice, jam it in flight mode so the battery aint draining.
On the older ones (Nokias) there was a hack to allow them to charge while the OS is shut down. I miss that some times. But I never tried your trick.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well.....having an issue that is troubling. The phone keeps shutting off and going through a reboot....and I mean doing it fairly often. My wife has a 950 as well, so I'm going to try her battery in my 950 and see if might just be a battery issue. I hope this isn't a phone issue as I had a heck of a time finding a 950 to buy. Is anyone aware of similar issues with a reboot? Not doing anything with the phone out of the ordinary that I can figure out. Thanks.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Well.....having an issue that is troubling. The phone keeps shutting off and going through a reboot....and I mean doing it fairly often. My wife has a 950 as well, so I'm going to try her battery in my 950 and see if might just be a battery issue. I hope this isn't a phone issue as I had a heck of a time finding a 950 to buy. Is anyone aware of similar issues with a reboot? Not doing anything with the phone out of the ordinary that I can figure out. Thanks.

That does sound like a known issue. Which I believe is related to the battery/pins and such.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss