Upgrading from Lumia 930 to Lumia 950: Is it worth it ?!

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
It's already leaking that Restone 3 and Cshell won't run on the chipsets in the Lumia 950 devices, so no, it's not worth it. The baseline for Cshell will probably be the SD820 and above.

Since the HPx3 devices aren't really consumer retail phones, and the Alcatel Idol itself is also old (and from what I've seen, the camera kinda stinks) I'd recommend moving on from the platform.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys,
A couple of days ago, my 3-year-old Lumia 930's screen was shattered. Now I'm thinking of buying a new phone, but I can't decide between the Lumia 930 itself and a new Lumia 950. I had a Lumia 950 for a couple of hours, I installed the creators update. The UI is beautiful but the UX wasn't the best. The OS is laggy, my Lumia 930 running Windows 8.1 (denim update) is snappier. Is it a problem with the device I tested or every Lumia 950 has this lack of snappiness ??? Can you share your experiences with your Lumia 950? Are you satisfied? Or should I just stick with the Lumia 930 ?
Thanks in advance.

I upgraded to a 950XL from a 930 and haven't looked back, I have given my 930 to my mom which is quite a step up from her 630. The 930, IMHO, is still a fantastic device and the fact that updates for it have only recently been stopped officially is a testament to how well it handles W10M.

vzzbuckz

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded from a 930 to a 950XL. Initially (a year ago) it was a bit flaky but now I couldn't think of going back to 8.1. Some of the UWP apps like myTube, London Travel etc are things I'd miss going back.

Everything appears to work now, wifi, battery life, Bluetooth etc. I did change the back to a mozo wooden back and that looks good (but each to their own). I also have a magnetic car mount so I put a magnet inside the back case, and it 'sticks' to the magnetic wand attached to my windshield like glue. Very nice.

USB-C and Continuum are very nice but I don't use them a lot - nice to have though. I also like the glance screen. I use the phone as an alarm clock and the glance screen sits in a USB-C charging cradle. Looks good.

Orlando Grillo

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,
A couple of days ago, my 3-year-old Lumia 930's screen was shattered. Now I'm thinking of buying a new phone, but I can't decide between the Lumia 930 itself and a new Lumia 950. I had a Lumia 950 for a couple of hours, I installed the creators update. The UI is beautiful but the UX wasn't the best. The OS is laggy, my Lumia 930 running Windows 8.1 (denim update) is snappier. Is it a problem with the device I tested or every Lumia 950 has this lack of snappiness ??? Can you share your experiences with your Lumia 950? Are you satisfied? Or should I just stick with the Lumia 930 ?
Thanks in advance.

I have also a 930 and the screen shattered. I thought the 950 would be a good option but, due to all the uncertainties regarding the future of the OS, I thought there would be the risk of it not being supported on next updates latter this year or next year. I don't change phones yearly, just if it really breaks (that's because it is a better use of natural resources and it is better for the planet in general if we don't throw away a perfectly functional device just because it is a year or two old). So, instead of buying a new phone I decided to buy a new screen from eBay, which costed about 10% of the price of the 950 xl, not including import duties (I live in Brazil so it would be 50% more in the value if I bought the 950).
That's the second time I replace the screen if my 930. This time however, I bought the screen plus chassis so that I don't face again the problem of the screen separating from the chassis due to poor adhesives.
Now I have a new 930 with light metal frame, black buttons (which I recovered from the old black frame) and black cover. This combination of colors is different to any other 930 on the planet so it is all exclusive now ;) And I also gained time till Microsoft shows what's next in the mobile department.

victorbblanco

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I was already on Windows 10 Mobile on my Lumia Icon when I made the jump to the Lumia 950. But here's my experience anyway:

I upgraded from the Lumia Icon to the Lumia 950 and it was a very worthwhile jump for me. I think the display and the speed of the Lumia 950 are noticeably better than the Lumia 929/930. I only wish that the Lumia 950 felt as premium in hand as the Lumia 929/930.

Same here. But I got the 950 XL.
Worth it.

STXVI

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Right now I have a 1520 on 8.1 and a 950 on 10. The 1520 is my main driver and here's why. The smoothness of 8, the FB integration, and battery life. I really like where 10 has come to, but the missing FB integration is important to me for keeping a eye out on my kids doings without having to go into the app. Whenever they do something their individual tile flips with the update and it allows me to interact with them even when we are apart...also notice changes in behaviour and things. Originally there was the option of the MS version of the FB app which would solve my problem, but now there is only the FB version and it's a large feature missing mess. The battery life on the 1520 is life, but the battery life on the 950 since build 14393 is horrid. 3 hrs with normal use...reminds me of the days of the iPhone 4s. Recently I saw in a forum that the battery may need to be the problem and may need to be changed...which is odd for such a newish phone, but I ordered one and hopefully that will solve the problem. The smoothness issue has been getting better since the last update to the Creators edition, so smoothness is becoming less of an issue, but I can notice when I move between the two phones...but is still smoother than my Android. Where I think that the 950 excels is in all the new features, modern design language, newer and different app options, and updates. But so far nothing enough make me give up the FB integration.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded from a 930 to the 950XL... Loved the 930 really but iris scanner, awesome camera, custom mozo back covers and all are worth it... the only thing that was "downgraded" was build quality... not that the 950/950XL are crappy made but the 930 just felt more premium in the hand.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to go back to WP8...

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I moved from an Icon to the 950 about 2 months ago. I was running WM10 via Insider, and preferred it to WM8. Battery life was fine (I have charging pads at home, in my car and at work, so my battery was almost always topped off. However, if I went out and was away from the charger, man, that's when I realized how much the battery sucked. Granted, the phone was 2.5, almost three years old (got it on release day). However, I finally dropped it and shattered the front.

Given the huge windows phone offerings at verizon (/s), I opted to move to AT&T. I looked online and found an unlocked, new in the box, 950. This was not an AT&T branded phone (that's important later), but was cheap, $189. I took it to the local AT&T store and got myself on the Go Plan. Loading up all of the WM10 updates, I have to say it really does run well and fixed a few of my nagging issues with the Icon. The biggest issue I had was BT in my vehicle. Cortana would do her thing, but when She let me know a text arrived and asked me to read it, she never got my first "Read it" command. I would have to wait the 15 seconds for her to ask again, then it worked. Very annoying. The 950 worked properly the first time.

Battery life is a huge improvement. I still have my charging pads everywhere, but when I go away for the weekend or need to work out on a project away from chargers, I am amazed how slowly the battery drains. On those days I can run the phone from 7 am to 9 pm and still have 15% or so left over. My Icon would typically be dead by 4 or 5 pm.

So, the issue with the non-AT&T phone. 3 weeks ago, we lost our internet at the office. One of the switches in the server room failed bigly and we had no connection Wi-Fi or wired. So I decided to use my hot spot. Now, my plan allows for the hotspot, but I could not get the data to work. Called tech support at AT&T and they checked everything, but could never get it to work. After many searches, I finally found the solution, this is common for non-AT&T branded phones. Somewhere in their network, there is a flag set, which blocks non-branded phones on the Go Plan. If I got a standard contractual plan, it would work just fine (at about $50/month more), so not worth it. Other than that, I love the 950 and it makes me really sad that MS is going to let WM die. I don't want to move to the other options.

TL;DR version:

Totally worth it to move to the 950. It really is faster, better battery and WM10 works just fine on it.

Tiyani Mdaka

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I just upgraded to the 950 XL from the 930 today. Less than it's been 11hrs if I'm honest and I'm loving it. I'm still running the build out of the box 10586, I have seen no bugs yet. I will jump to creators tomorrow.

I last charged at 3pm, it's currently 10:15pm South African time and I have 45% battery left at an estimated 7h 31m remaining

In short, the upgrade is a no brainer for me

Guillermo R

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Totally recomend going to 950/xl. I was a happy 930 user fot two years, but moved to 950xl and besides everything is just faster, I "solved" the mic problem in my 930 for video recording and speakerphone calls, instant fast camera snaps (a la iphone) battery goes through all day from 8 until 22 easily, wifi can be kept on all the time (not in my 930 -battery drain and hot back-) Better pictures with low light, and with flash, in 950xl better home screen with 4 rows of tiles, screen colors and resolution is great, specialy on 60fps video QHD playback, which is awesome!, 4G in my country -with 930 no band for LTE here-, USB OTG pendrive lots of usability, Continuum which is great in combo with miracast MS Display adapter and bluetooth mouse, SD card for easy expansion -no chance on 930-, Glance Screen!!!. In general, only complain about slow double tap to wake up comparing to 930. The rest, is a win-win. Even the external metal frame on 930 gave me a lot of headaches after dents and paint clearing, plastic gave me much better durability. I sugest you to go for the 950xl instead of 950, size is not a problem on your pocket, but screen an performance, especially on continuum is quite notable. Hope it helps!

user-774

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by STXVI
Right now I have a 1520 on 8.1 and a 950 on 10. The 1520 is my main driver and here's why. The smoothness of 8, the FB integration, and battery life. I really like where 10 has come to, but the missing FB integration is important to me for keeping a eye out on my kids doings without having to go into the app. Whenever they do something their individual tile flips with the update and it allows me to interact with them even when we are apart...also notice changes in behaviour and things. Originally there was the option of the MS version of the FB app which would solve my problem, but now there is only the FB version and it's a large feature missing mess...
The social app integration was EXCEPTIONAL in these days. But I guess Facebook has no interest in allowing such an innovative, ad-free use experience 😪

Joe McClaine

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks you guys for your feedbacks, they're really helpful!! But what about the battery drain? heat issues and wifi connectivity? Do these problems persist even after installing the latest creators update?

I've had my L950 since Q3(?) last year and its been great. I've found that I generally get two days use from a full charge (down to 20%), sometimes even three days if I'm lucky. However, I'm not a heavy user of my phone so YMMV. The back of the phone can get quite warm when using a Qi wireless charger but I've never noticed this to have any effect on the phone's stability. No issues with WiFi connectivity.

Abishek Robinson

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys,
Thanks in advance.

I upgraded from L930 to Hp elite x3... I'm very happy about the change. I used 930 for some 3 yrs. X3 is better than 930 by all means except the camera. It is better than 950 also... Quick charging, better battery backup(1.5 days), slim, elite design, premium feel to hold the phone,stylish and 4gb ram with continum. I would recommend you to buy a hp elite x3.

Last edited:

StefEBear

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll be selling my Lumia 950XL after the weekend (In Australia)
I'm sick of using a Windows phone and an Android (for the apps) so I'm going to a Galaxy S8+ that's at home and ready to configure

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded from a L920 to a L950, picked up a brand new one quite cheaply.

After 4 and a half years of the L920, I can still say that's the best phone I've ever had!

Long post of opinion ahead...

I can't say what it was like with W10M previously, because I've jumped straight into the creators update, which from what I hear, has resolved most of the usability issues. For the most part, it's fine. I'm having some issues with SMS being transferred over, it has large gaps, but not really end of the world.

Now, on the whole, W10M/L950 do certain things a lot better, but there's also a few gripes. Chiefly, battery life is worse than my L920, and that's a big concern. The L920 has a 2000mAh battery, the L950 a 3000mAh one. That's 50% bigger for the L950, and it's still worse... I may revisit this as I sort of get into regular use, so it may still have to stabilise a little.

Also, the feel just isn't anywhere near as premium as the L920. The larger screen is nice, but also just that little bit too large such that single handed operation is no longer easy. I also have an issue, my wireless charging car cradle doesn't appear to line up right, and doesn't charge up the phone properly.

Web browser is much improved, and considering the absence of many apps, this is important. It was getting quite annoying on the L920, as it was slow, pages didn't load or work properly and if there were ads, it would generally struggle with it. Not noticing this on the L950. Lack of an ad blocker is a bad thing though.

In general, UI smoothness is worse. WP8.1 on the L920 was buttery smooth, it isn't the case on the L950. UI changes are annoying at times, because they haven't completely followed through. The hamburger menu is often used in the top left, and that's the worst possible place to access with one hand, when right handed. The old WP8 style with all that stuff accessible at the bottom right '...' was far far better.

Keyboards are slightly improved, which is good. It's annoying to get used to a keyboard and then have to change. Fortunately they didn't tinker too much with something that isn't broken. You can now long press the top row to get numbers, but you can't see what the numbers are. They should fix that.

Social media integration is worse. What once was a brilliant feature, is now for all intents and purposes gone. You can still link some profiles together, but on the whole, nothing is integrated anymore. The only reason to link the FB profile in your phone book is to get their picture in it. Otherwise, the people app is barren, as facebook doesn't provide any info to it. On WP8 I used it as a way of narrowing down people I'm closer with, through the filters. I suspect FB wants you to go into the app instead. Meanwhile, other social media platforms have no integration whatsoever, and I really doubt that will change.

Camera, obviously much better, with the app also much better. Panorama is integrated, and nice to use, previously it was incredibly slow, and crappy. Overall, the camera isn't as fast as many android phones now, but not so slow that if you want to take a quick snap, that you'll miss it. It mightn't be the best camera around, but you'll always have a good usable shot. I'm no photographer, but I can tell that it takes good photos. With that said, I still thought my L920 took decent photos, as long as you didn't need to zoom in on them. With 20MP, it's not so much a problem anymore.

At the heart of it, I think the big problem is, W10M doesn't really offer anything really great that couldn't have been done to WP8.1 and looking back with hindsight, it was really counterproductive, if not just a botched delivery. I presume the buggy and unfinished state in which it was released, the abandoning of the older phones, when MS said they wouldn't, has all more or less shown that MS completely stuffed up and trashed it in the process.

The rumour mill now suggests that the W10M era hasn't got long left with a reboot of sorts on its way. I personally hope they don't just abandon the windows mobile, I think it will still have its place. Battery life is something I tend to want as much as possible of, and the 1 day standard is kind of poor when for most that one day means 18 hours tops. I can only envisage that the windows on arm phones are going to be large, and probably have poor battery life in comparison, hence why I think there's still a place for windows mobile/phone as it is. With this said, it may mean jumping on the L950 bandwagon now, consider that it may become obsolete this year.

The other point I'd like to make is, considering that I was using a L920 up until recently, a phone almost 5 years old, and only changed because the facebook messenger app got retired, really shows how stagnant mobile phone development has become. You can just see that across the board, nothing much is improving; innovation barely exists, and change is being forced through software obsolescence. Again, if the L950 is retired this year, it will be only because of software, nothing else.

Last edited:

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys,
Thanks in advance.

950 is just about 2 years old already. You might as well wait for the new iphone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99