Finally leaving the 950 behind - which Android phone is comparable?

Gamu

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

After sporting a Lumia 920 and then a 950, I am reluctantly looking to move to and Android handset. The lack of apps to allow sensible compatibility with the systems I use at work mean I need get a different device, so sadly the 950 is going into retirement.

I want a phone that is at least as 'good' as the 950 by spending as little money as I can, but am not sure what an equivalent would be, in terms of performance and camera? I am thinking of getting the Moto G5S Plus, I am assuming this will be better than the 950? I'm not talking about OS design, availability of apps, build quality etc, more speed, screen quality, camera etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Gareth

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The Moto G5S Plus is a great device. Everything about it should make you happy. The camera however might not be as good as the 950. What is your budget like? Based on that there might be some good recommendations.

LG G5 from last year is a great device and excellent camera for the price. Deals can be had for this phone for about $200 new.

If your budget is around $250, I would recommend the S7 or S7 edge as well.

Huawei Honor 8 is a great device with excellent cameras for the price as well.

Good luck with your search.

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I second the S7 or S7 edge.

There are enough customization options in Android to make just about any phone feel passably like W10M that I'd say get the best phone in your budget and, unless you are really inclined to nitpick, you won't be disappointed.

Gamu

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks both for your replies, you've put my mind at rest, I think I'm on the right track.

The S7 does look good, but it's substantially more than the G5S Pro here in the UK, with the S7 around £200 more, so for the time being I'm still thinking the G5S Pro to keep my spend down - if I can get something decent for less than £300 I'll be happy.

Thanks again.

Gareth

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks both for your replies, you've put my mind at rest, I think I'm on the right track.

The S7 does look good, but it's substantially more than the G5S Pro here in the UK, with the S7 around £200 more, so for the time being I'm still thinking the G5S Pro to keep my spend down - if I can get something decent for less than £300 I'll be happy.

Thanks again.

Gareth

Have a look on ebay if you have the time and patience for last second bidders :grincry::winktongue:. You can get a Galaxy S5 for pretty cheap second hand (grade a - rarely now, most grade b or c) via the buy it now option. That's the other alternative to get the £££s down. Also there are some S6 options on ebay in the £150 - £290 range)

There are some Windows Phone launchers but still no comparison to the actual live tile experience imo.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I left my 950XL for Android also. Just understand that you'll be disappointed with pretty much everything except the quantity and quality of apps.

PS - Get the Galaxy S8/S8+ for best phone over $400, the Moto Play Z for under $400 (if you're paying outright).

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a work supplied Samsung A5 2017 model, slightly lower processing power than the 950 but on a phone how much do you really need especially if it doesn't use Continuum.

I hate the OS, and apart from the couple of apps produced by my company for in house use, I have put mainly MS products on it. Still hate it though and for my own use I carry my 950XL.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh dear, the Android market is just so big, it all depends what you want.

If you want stock Android :

- On low budget, go with a Motorola, the G5 or E4 even. Either the plus version or not accordingly to your size preference.

- Mid-ranger: still Motorola. The Z Play is a great device and given it's a year old you'll get it cheaper.

- High budget: The Z2 Play (if software updates don't matter because Motorola's become bad at them), the Google Pixel (better camera than any Motorola device, timely updates, regular security patches and it's a year old so cheaper).

If any version of Android suits you, my previous examples are still valid but you can throw in the mix the S7 for mid-range price and the S8 for a high budget price. The LG G6 is also apparently very good but I don't like the interface myself. HTC phones are usually pretty good too.

You should have a look at Mr Mobile on YouTube, that's going to help a lot.

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

After sporting a Lumia 920 and then a 950, I am reluctantly looking to move to and Android handset. The lack of apps to allow sensible compatibility with the systems I use at work mean I need get a different device, so sadly the 950 is going into retirement.

I want a phone that is at least as 'good' as the 950 by spending as little money as I can, but am not sure what an equivalent would be, in terms of performance and camera? I am thinking of getting the Moto G5S Plus, I am assuming this will be better than the 950? I'm not talking about OS design, availability of apps, build quality etc, more speed, screen quality, camera etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Gareth
If you want a great 950 replacement at a really affordable price, give the OnePlus 5 a try. Stock Android, Snapdragon 835, 6 or 8 Gb RAM, 64 or 128 Gb storage, great camera, awesome design to name a few ($479 or $539). I myself am coming from the Elite X3 and got tired of the game Microsoft has been playing with its most dedicated fans and made the jump last July. I didn't want to go Samsung or any other major brand and I have not been disappointed. I even got the wife the OnePlus 3T to replace her 950xl and she is singing praises for all the things she is now able to get done from the palm of her hand...

NYCMetsPDX

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Another upvote for the OnePlus here. Moved from a 950XL to a 3T and it's pretty solid. I miss WP, but stock android is slightly better than the skins that some manufactures layer over the system (Not 100% sure if Moto does this). Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with!

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
My older son has been happy with his LG phones - a V10 he replaced with a note7 then a v20 to replace the crappy S7 he received in compensation. So far he's happy with the V20.

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My older son has been happy with his LG phones - a V10 he replaced with a note7 then a v20 to replace the crappy S7 he received in compensation. So far he's happy with the V20.

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl
I'm using a V20 that I got a little over 3 weeks ago, and I'm extremely happy with it, especially for the quad DAC and camera.

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm finally getting rid of my 950 also. If MS can't be bothered with phones then I'm going to somebody that likes the phone business. Loved the 950 but its time to go.

I was looking at the LG V30 or the Samsung S8. I'm leaning towards the V30. Sweet camera and not a lot of bloatware.

JeevanP

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
If you don't mind with updates get a nexus phone which is a good option considering the cost. Buy that phone and install a custom rom if you can...

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
From what I can see, the LG V20 isnt officially available in the UK, and the OP's original budget is around £300.
The Moto Z Play is over £300.

If it were me I'd probably look at either the Huawei P10 Lite (its only £200) or a nearly new Pixel.

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I tried a galaxy s8 and it felt like a slippery bar of soap that I did eventually drop and smash the screen. replaced it with an essential ph1 and it's amazing. very similar form and weight to the 950 and overall a really nice experience. recommended but bit pricey.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923