Finally leaving the 950 behind - which Android phone is comparable?

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I changed L950 to Moto Z few months ago. If you are looking for a similar form factor then Moto Z is not for your. it is more rounded though oterwise it is a great phone.

On a side note if you like Windows 10 Metro UI then install "Launcher 10" launcher. It is almost exactly the same as on Lumia 950. There are many others Metro style launchers in Play market. I tried them all but only this one comes close enough.

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I changed L950 to Moto Z few months ago. If you are looking for a similar form factor then Moto Z is not for your. it is more rounded though otherwise it is a great phone.

On a side note if you like Windows 10 Metro UI then install "Launcher 10" launcher. It is almost exactly the same as on Lumia 950. There are many others Metro style launchers in Play market. I tried them all but only this one comes close enough.

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up the LG V30, Nice phone great camera and the same size as the 950 with a larger screen. A little bit of a learning curve going to android but not bad. I feel like I took a step backwards going back to Icons and not live tiles but what can you do.

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I changed L950 to Moto Z few months ago. If you are looking for a similar form factor then Moto Z is not for your. it is more rounded though oterwise it is a great phone.

Agreed! Launcher 10 works just like Windows Phone 10 UI. You can even have the live tile functionality with the paid version. Love and absolutely recommend it to anyone switching to Android who misses the tiles look.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Agreed! Launcher 10 works just like Windows Phone 10 UI. You can even have the live tile functionality with the paid version. Love and absolutely recommend it to anyone switching to Android who misses the tiles look

For my work phone I think I'm going to stick with my 950 as my need for apps is pretty small, but sadly I think that my son (830) and wife (920) probably should switch to Android so found this thread interesting. Glad to hear that Launcher 10 would at least give them the UI which we all like.

How many of the recommended phones above are providing Android updates when new versions are released (the OnePlus sounded interesting with stock Android)? Or do you have to go with a Google phone (Pixel?) if you want to get newer versions?

I'd want to replicate some of the other integrations with Microsoft's services like OneDrive for photos so they are easily available on the phone, PC or Windows tablet and Outlook.com mail. Any good guides/information on this?

Scott

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
For my work phone I think I'm going to stick with my 950 as my need for apps is pretty small, but sadly I think that my son (830) and wife (920) probably should switch to Android so found this thread interesting. Glad to hear that Launcher 10 would at least give them the UI which we all like.

How many of the recommended phones above are providing Android updates when new versions are released (the OnePlus sounded interesting with stock Android)? Or do you have to go with a Google phone (Pixel?) if you want to get newer versions?

I'd want to replicate some of the other integrations with Microsoft's services like OneDrive for photos so they are easily available on the phone, PC or Windows tablet and Outlook.com mail. Any good guides/information on this?

Scott
OnePlus is currently working on the Android 8.0 for the OnePlus5. My wife's OnePlus 3T already has it through their openbeta program. As far as services integration the OneDrive app auto uploads pictures and asks you to add media folders to the auto upload as soon as it detects media in a folder (say for example you download/save a picture to a local folder on the phone, OneDrive will ask if you want to add that folder to auto upload). Every other MS service available on Android works just as it does (if not better than) on WP...

I've attached a screengrab of my home screen with Launcher10. The background is a 3D Wallpapers background.

Hope this helps.
85b6f27ce4fdc3e7dd959e3fdfb42c7e.jpg

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
That's great information and I really appreciate the time to post here. The Launcher 10 looks good and I did pop over to OnePlus's support page and briefly to the community and it appears that they have pretty active support/development which is good.

I did think of a few other questions. :) Does she have to have a gmail.com mail/account for the Google services (thinking Play) or can she continue to use her Hotmail.com mail account? Does the Android allow you to sync your contacts and calendar with Outlook.com (with Windows Phone it's nice not to have a local version)? And does Android do device backups like Windows Phone for migrating to a new or replacement device? I just did this with my 920 to 950 upgrade and it went well except for text messages but I used the Microsoft tool to move those over.

Thanks again!

Scott

Scott

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
That's great information and I really appreciate the time to post here. The Launcher 10 looks good and I did pop over to OnePlus's support page and briefly to the community and it appears that they have pretty active support/development which is good.

I did think of a few other questions. :) Does she have to have a gmail.com mail/account for the Google services (thinking Play) or can she continue to use her Hotmail.com mail account? Does the Android allow you to sync your contacts and calendar with Outlook.com (with Windows Phone it's nice not to have a local version)? And does Android do device backups like Windows Phone for migrating to a new or replacement device? I just did this with my 920 to 950 upgrade and it went well except for text messages but I used the Microsoft tool to move those over.

Thanks again!

Scott

Scott

Well there are apps for syncing contacts but Outlook for Android can be installed and can surely add your Hotmail account for contact sync.

She will unfortunately need a gmail account to download apps... If she uses WhatsApp, she'll have to start over but text messages can be backed up and restored to the new phone. It is a process, but it can be done.

As far as backups, there are also plenty of apps available for this as well. You contacts and other device settings are backed up to Google drive by your Gmail account.

Mind you, I'm also a newbie to this whole android thing, so I may not be the best source of information out there! 🤣 🤣 🤣

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Well there are apps for syncing contacts but Outlook for Android can be installed and can surely add your Hotmail account for contact sync.

She will unfortunately need a gmail account to download apps... If she uses WhatsApp, she'll have to start over but text messages can be backed up and restored to the new phone. It is a process, but it can be done.

As far as backups, there are also plenty of apps available for this as well. You contacts and other device settings are backed up to Google drive by your Gmail account.

Mind you, I'm also a newbie to this whole android thing, so I may not be the best source of information out there! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Unless I'm an moron and don't see it (which is very possible) the Outlook for Android apps stinks. No month view? Really?

Twitter: @PhotographyET

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
My angered rant about no month view on Outlook was directed at MS and no poster on this board. On Android I started using Nine mail app. It works pretty well and has a month view calendar. I uninstalled Outlook.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My angered rant about no month view on Outlook was directed at MS and no poster on this board. On Android I started using Nine mail app. It works pretty well and has a month view calendar. I uninstalled Outlook.

I'm not sure it isn't Google's fault rather than Microsoft's. They do stuff like that. Gimp competing products to make their own look better than they really are.

Case in point, I can't sync my bookmarks between Iron Browser desktop and Iron Browser on Android. Why? Because Chrome. Pretty sure that's why Outlook won't show a view and is only a widget.

It's just another reason why Google has gone from "Don't be Evil" to "We ARE Evil and you just have to put up with it, you captive monkeys."

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've looked into the Nokia 8 and a sony xperia, I can't seem to find a phone that has both a physical camera button and wireless charging, the sony xperia does have a physical camera button, but no wireless charging.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Been using a Nokia 6 for about two or three months and still frustrating to use with anything Microsoft apps. Just switched on my 950 today and how I miss it.

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
OnePlus is currently working on the Android 8.0 for the OnePlus5. My wife's OnePlus 3T already has it through their openbeta program. As far as services integration the OneDrive app auto uploads pictures and asks you to add media folders to the auto upload as soon as it detects media in a folder (say for example you download/save a picture to a local folder on the phone, OneDrive will ask if you want to add that folder to auto upload). Every other MS service available on Android works just as it does (if not better than) on WP...

I've attached a screengrab of my home screen with Launcher10. The background is a 3D Wallpapers background.

Hope this helps.

Oneplus and Launcher 10 - a potential game changer. Perhaps if I had bothered to check back over here at Windows Central before buying the 950 last week I might have at least considered this...although probably a little above my price point. I had picked up a Samsung J5 prime for my wife a few weeks back to replace her S3, and thought about the J7 Prime for myself, but it always comes back to liking the live tile layout so much. The OnePlus is intriguing, a little different and off the mainstream....kind of like the Windows Phone I guess. We'll see how the 950 goes.....

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
So I also just abandoned ship :crying:
This was very hard, but I knew this day would come.

Can anyone suggest apps for Messaging, Phone, Contacts? One that is secure and does not sync with Gmail?

Except for the PlayStore, I prefer to have a DeGoogled experience on my Android phone.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
To me, nothing in the Android or iOS world even comes close to the 950. That said, I switched to Android 2 months back and am at least mostly content with it. (Sony XPeria XA1) Mind you, I am not saying that the 950 was perfect or that I had no issues, it is just that I was "emotionally" attached to that phone and the OS, and I know I am not the only one.

Truth is, I have never heard anyone say that chose Android or iOS because they "loved" it, it was more a matter of simply settling for one or the other. Now I wish I had not sold off my 950.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I also just abandoned ship :crying:
This was very hard, but I knew this day would come.

Can anyone suggest apps for Messaging, Phone, Contacts? One that is secure and does not sync with Gmail?

Except for the PlayStore, I prefer to have a DeGoogled experience on my Android phone.

Maybe look at Blackberry...

I just traded for a DTEK50. The Blackberry Hub may be just the thing for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss