should I jump on a 950 before they go away?

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I have had a Lumia 640 for two years. Phone works well, although is back to the cycle of not being able to install updates because of its limited storage. The 950 is under $300 or maybe less if you can find it. With all the talk of Windows phones going away, should I jump on a 950 before they disappear? Are the 950s significantly faster then the 640s? Should I wait in the hope of something better (although would never spend over $300 for a new phone. My carrier is T-mobile, so I would have to go the route of buying an unlocked ATT phone as I did with the 640. Thanks.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do it just for the camera. I got a nice 950 w/ continuum dock for less than $150.

No matter what happens to W10M, just on a factory reset with no store downloads the thing is a great camera. Whatever else you do with it is a bonus.

And yeah, I had a 640. Nice as they are the 950 is a clear upgrade.

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Certainly if you want a replaceable battery, the 950 looks like the sweet spot. Of course these days on W10M an embedded battery will outlast the supported life of the OS, so......

Paul

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Certainly if you want a replaceable battery, the 950 looks like the sweet spot. Of course these days on W10M an embedded battery will outlast the supported life of the OS, so......

Paul

Speaking of batteries. Since I got my 950 used I don't know how the battery was treated, and having heard about fitment issues and spontaneous reboot likely associated with loose battery fit...

I ordered 2 of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V3GKW1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got two of them because the 950 is just doing camera duty and I'm outward bound in a few days. I'd rather battery swap in the field than try and take pics with a battery bank dangling off the device by a cord. When I'm on vacation I shoot a lot​ so I can be assured of having a few really great pics from every sight.

Anyhow, the TQTHL batteries fit really tight. They seem to be doing the job rather well, bit I'm trying to get the calibration finalized. I've no way to tell for sure if they are truly 3200 mAh (200 more than stock) except for my gut impression that they are the real deal.

I've had one in the phone testing standby. It's been 2 Days, 20 Hours since I charged. I snapped a few pics (maybe half a dozen), poked at apps a couple times and fiddled with settings once or twice. 53% just now. Did a reboot. Rebooted to 51% so that sounds legit (2% for a reboot) and seems like the battery app I use has the battery calibrated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs