Best android alternative to Lumia 950

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok... I give, the killing of groove music and forced migration to Spotify has broken my back on this. I've decided that rather than buying a new screen protector and battery (which has become seemingly hard to find anyway) It's time for me to consider migration to another phone I can't stand the iPhone gui, drives me nuts, I can't explain why.... Just ick. So I think after watching some Microsoft launcher demo videos, and the fact that I can make Cortana default voice assistant in android, it might be time to pull the trigger, although with great reluctance.

Which phone would be best for a Lumia convert? I love my camera, so I'd want a similar to camera, with physical camera button, or mapped accordingly when camera is open, and wireless qi charging. I'll be on ATT for what It's worth. I'll probably change the launcher to launcher 10 or arrow.

Anything else I should be considering?

I'm sure its been asked before, but of the quick sampling i got, a lot of the requests are from Europe, or looking for midrange devices. I'll probably finance through att next, so rather than limit choices, throw them at me.

It's there any hope for a Microsoft OS'ed phone in the near future, should I hold on to hope (only to likely be stabbed in the other leg by Microsoft ?)

I find this all just..... Very..... Frustrating. Microsoft is It's own worst enemy, I swear, and Nadella while he seems to be making the board very happy, doesn't even seem to have consumer relations in his view, which will likely prove disastrous. But none of that is something I can change. I can however change my phone. :(

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok... I give, the killing of groove music and forced migration to Spotify has broken my back on this. I've decided that rather than buying a new screen protector and battery (which has become seemingly hard to find anyway) It's time for me to consider migration to another phone I can't stand the iPhone gui, drives me nuts, I can't explain why.... Just ick. So I think after watching some Microsoft launcher demo videos, and the fact that I can make Cortana default voice assistant in android, it might be time to pull the trigger, although with great reluctance.

Which phone would be best for a Lumia convert? I love my camera, so I'd want a similar to camera, with physical camera button, or mapped accordingly when camera is open, and wireless qi charging. I'll be on ATT for what It's worth. I'll probably change the launcher to launcher 10 or arrow.

Anything else I should be considering?

I'm sure its been asked before, but of the quick sampling i got, a lot of the requests are from Europe, or looking for midrange devices. I'll probably finance through att next, so rather than limit choices, throw them at me.

It's there any hope for a Microsoft OS'ed phone in the near future, should I hold on to hope (only to likely be stabbed in the other leg by Microsoft ?)

I find this all just..... Very..... Frustrating. Microsoft is It's own worst enemy, I swear, and Nadella while he seems to be making the board very happy, doesn't even seem to have consumer relations in his view, which will likely prove disastrous. But none of that is something I can change. I can however change my phone. :(
You should check out this thread:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=464799

It contains a lot of valuable propositions. I recently switched myself and went with the OnePlus 5 which, in my opinion is a great value, considering all you're getting. But if you're willing to wait a bit, rumors are out that OnePlus is releasing the OnePlus 5T within the next few weeks, so I'd wait if I were you.

Good luck and you won't be disappointed with Launcher 10.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
One plus had caught my attention, where would one typically be purchased in the us?

In looking at atts offerings, they only seem to offer the galaxy s8 and lg v30/20 as high end offerings. Any thoughts on those? I'm willing to byod to att with the one touch, just makes my purchasing choices different. Lol

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
One plus had caught my attention, where would one typically be purchased in the us?

In looking at atts offerings, they only seem to offer the galaxy s8 and lg v30/20 as high end offerings. Any thoughts on those? I'm willing to byod to att with the one touch, just makes my purchasing choices different. Lol

You'd buy it straight from their website. You get a dual-sim fully unlocked device almost half the price of current flagships with equal (if not better) specs. On top of that, you're not locked into a contract with AT&T... I purchased the S8 and returned it because of all the bloat (and the fact that my monthly bill would have gone up! 🤣). Haven't tried the V30, so can't say much about it...

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Reliability and support?

Also, doesn't look like one plus has wireless charging? :/
Reliability = So far (since 07/07/17) no issues whatsoever with the device. Bought my wife a OnePlus 3T a week later as well and no issues there either.

Support = unknown... I'm guessing the community for general questions and the obligatory 1 year manufacturer warranty

As far as wireless charging that was also a let down for me too but I rationalized it with the 6Gb RAM, 64GB storage and $479.99 I paid for it! 🤣 🤣 🤣.

Plus if certain Youtube videos are to be believed, it even seems to be water resistant, although I haven't tried that one myself yet!

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Meh, I like my phone being nude, so it's a biggie. I can trade in one of my sisters old iPhone in the galaxy and get $300 off, makes it cheaper than the one plus, still lacking a dedicated two stage camera button though. But I'm not seeing that option anywhere on the android front. :/

G

Which phone would be best for a Lumia convert?

Huawei Mate 9 is working for me.
Great dual lens camera.
Camera button can be assigned to volume buttons or controlled via voice.
No wireless charging...just super fast Huawei proprietary charging.
Other things like bluetooth, Wi-Fi and data connections are very solid.
This phone covers all US bands.

It's my very favorite Android phone out of all to date.

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Meh, I like my phone being nude, so it's a biggie. I can trade in one of my sisters old iPhone in the galaxy and get $300 off, makes it cheaper than the one plus, still lacking a dedicated two stage camera button though. But I'm not seeing that option anywhere on the android front. :/
Ok. Well don't get me wrong, the S8 is a great phone. I did use it for 2 weeks... I just didn't like the bloatware on it and the monthly price tag that would come with that purchase... That's why I bought outright and now I can change phones without being locked into any specific carrier... Hope this helped with your decision.

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I too have been researching android phones to transition to. My criteria is almost identical to yours and the one thing I'm really surprised at is the lack of wireless charging on some of these high end android phones. Of course you have the full Samsung lines, the Motorola Z2 line and the LG V30 has it. The V30 is intriguing but it's a little too big for my taste.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm using an LG V20 that I purchased unlocked from Amazon. AT&T is my carrier. I'm really happy with it. I posted a review on our sister site Android Central.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=830987

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I too have been researching android phones to transition to. My criteria is almost identical to yours and the one thing I'm really surprised at is the lack of wireless charging on some of these high end android phones. Of course you have the full Samsung lines, the Motorola Z2 line and the LG V30 has it. The V30 is intriguing but it's a little too big for my taste.

Yeah, currently the s8 has my attention, only for It's size, has wireless charging, and seems to have a decent camera, though it seems that it will be a step back either way I go. Buying the phone out right would be difficult, but looks like if I buy direct from Samsung they'll still offer financing at 0%.

What kind of bloat-ware are we talking about if I go through att? Can't be uninstalled like on Windows?

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, currently the s8 has my attention, only for It's size, has wireless charging, and seems to have a decent camera, though it seems that it will be a step back either way I go. Buying the phone out right would be difficult, but looks like if I buy direct from Samsung they'll still offer financing at 0%.

What kind of bloat-ware are we talking about if I go through att? Can't be uninstalled like on Windows?
I tried uninstalling all the extra samsung apps that doubled my email and calendar, the messaging app, the samsung store app, I think it's called galaxy apps... Samsung pay vs Android pay. Their photo app (gallery)... Check the link here:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-s8-guide,review-4330-3.html

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

you can consider Note 8, there are samsung apps, some of whic I see useful so kept it anyways, rest can be uninstalled.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Decided to go with the galaxy s8+, quick question as I try to migrate over. YouTube apps.... Is there anything similar to tubecast or mytube for Android? The standard YouTube app in my opinion sucks... :(

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Decided to go with the galaxy s8+, quick question as I try to migrate over. YouTube apps.... Is there anything similar to tubecast or mytube for Android? The standard YouTube app in my opinion sucks... :(
Doubt it... Since it's owned by Google, I don't know if they'd allow 3rd parties to publish similar functionality apps in the play store... You could try to search for Youtube Apps and see if anything pops up...

Also, if you're into MS services and apps, you should download the Microsoft Apps app first. It will list all of MS apps available in the store with download links. That way you'll have less searching to do.

Good luck and post your home screen when you're done if you install Launcher 10.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... I'm trying to forget all the good things I used to enjoy on WP... Trying to force myself to like this Android thing... I arranged all my live tiles exactly the same way they were on my X3.

I've set up the Microsoft launcher for now, I'll probably tinker with launcher 10 later this weekend.

Keyboard is also getting to me... I thought SwiftKey = windows phone keyboard... Seems I was mistaken.

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I've set up the Microsoft launcher for now, I'll probably tinker with launcher 10 later this weekend.

Keyboard is also getting to me... I thought SwiftKey = windows phone keyboard... Seems I was mistaken.
Well I think MS owns the Swiftkey technology so it should be pretty similar. It's the keyboard I'm using.

Remember to do a backup of Microsoft Launcher before switching to Launcher 10 (& vice-versa) so that you don't have to redo all your icon configuration all over again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)