04-18-2018 11:23 AM
58 123
tools
    Check these comparison articles from allaboutwindowsphone.com
    Made by a Lumia fan so there may be bias but then again pictures speak louder than words.

Lumia 950 XL vs Pixel 2 XL
    Camera head to head: Lumia 950 XL vs Google Pixel 2 XL

Lumia 950 XL vs Nokia 8
    Camera head to head: Lumia 950 vs Nokia 8

Lumia 950 XL vs IPhone X
    Camera head to head: Lumia 950 XL vs Apple iPhone X
    fin11 and Joe920 like this.
    11-14-2017 10:07 AM
    Zeiss is back in town on the new Nokia Androids (Nokia 8)
    The Nokia 8 only has Zeiss lenses. It does NOT have any Nokia imaging patents in it nor any Zeiss optimisations. The camera is actually utter crap.

As @Laura Knotek observed, the Pixel 2 XL will likely be a fit
    Or not. He clearly stated it didn't want a point and shoot. Which is exactly what the iPixels are. No manual controls on them at all.

Another point to consider is that HDR+ apk has been floating around as a hack that can be added to phones with Snapdragon 820, 821 or 835 chips.
    It can be added to a lot more phones. For example, the Nokia 5 has the SD430 and the app runs on it. The Xperia XZ1 Compact has the 835 and it doesn't. Why? Because the first has Google's camera2api enabled and on the Xperia, Sony blocked RAW support which means the camera can't use the photos.

More research into "what phones capture RAW" might also help you narrow the field.
    Fortunately, most high end devices on Android enabled the camera2api with Android 5.0 Lollipop. Which means all of them support RAW. The only high end phone I've seen that doesn't are Sony's Xperia phones (because Sony is arrogant AF).
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-14-2017 10:10 AM
    The reason I bought first the Lumia 1020 and then the 950xl was after looking at the cameras. (I'm a professional photographer) My phone is my walk around camera. I'm contemplating my future phone (right now long live my 950xl) I want a camera that gives me the level of control of exposure the Lumia's cameras have and it must shoot DNG files. I don't want a "push here and the phone will do the rest" camera as in the IPhone.

What handset has the best camera out there?
    I like smartphone photography and I do take photographs with my Lumia 950XL whenever I get some unique moments. For me 950XL is the best camera phone I've ever used. But time has changed and more capable camera phones arrived into market. It's dumb to defend a phone with dead OS but the Lumia still holds me with its camera. Totally love the ease of camera UI, but in a dilemma about my next smartphone camera.

Android/iOS 🤔❓
    Attached Thumbnails ebb909ab-4eaf-43ed-9a68-52b033871e0f.jpg   b2184f5b-0c86-4173-906b-9a4a2dcf9732.jpg  
    11-14-2017 10:21 AM
    There is a great youtube video comparing the LG V30 to a $50,000 Red Weapon 8K pro video camera showing all the manual controls and options like recording logarithmic light levels for higher dynamic range. Search for "LG V30 versus Red Weapon". The emphasis of this report is on video, but if the camera has anything near the same controls for still photos, then it would be a contender. It does have RAW capability. It doesn't have the 20MP sensors that the Lumias have, the rear sensors are 16MP. Reviews of the photo capabilities with focus on pro features are hard to come by, most of the press noise seems to be about the video capabilities, and photo reviews tend to be from the snapshot crowd.
    11-14-2017 11:22 AM
    1020, 950xl, 950
    11-14-2017 11:40 AM
    I'd say an iPhone 8+ or X. It's best for those point and shoot moments you'll need right away (though it doens't shoot in RAW by default). Then you have other apps you can use like Lightroom or Camera+ for finer controls. Yes, they're apps, but if you have the time to manually adjust, then you should have the extra second to find the app and launch it. I think with this phone it gives the least amount of headache. That's been my experience so far. I did like the default camera app that Samsung had one their Galaxy S8, because you can easily switch to manual controls as well. Then there is the Pixel 2 XL with a good DXO score, but I believe the iPhone X still had a higher still photo rating.
    11-14-2017 01:04 PM
    The reason I bought first the Lumia 1020 and then the 950xl was after looking at the cameras. (I'm a professional photographer) My phone is my walk around camera. I'm contemplating my future phone (right now long live my 950xl) I want a camera that gives me the level of control of exposure the Lumia's cameras have and it must shoot DNG files. I don't want a "push here and the phone will do the rest" camera as in the IPhone.

I am really surprised how streamlined the camera functionality was on the Lumia 950xl. That was extremely good for point and click with everything left on auto. I got a LG v30 because of reasons...the camera is not that good imo. I don't take wide angle shots so there is that. overall I might just keep the phone as a camera phone when I needed it like concerts.
    11-14-2017 01:19 PM
    You should probably wait for an actual camera phone.
    Take a look at: https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/02/...era-accessori/
    11-14-2017 01:32 PM
    950/950xl 100%. None if the current phones are as good.
    11-14-2017 02:18 PM
    For me the 1520 and 950XL, in my personal experience, are the best to date. I hear from many still that the 1020 is still the comparative benchmark device to all smartphone camera's . I think the 950XL is slightly better than the 1520 camera. Both are still great camera's with their 20 mpix OIS lenses. But, I think, the camera is only as good as the photographer using it. If the person who uses it shoots randomly, you get random images. Over the years I've noticed every person has their own focus of composition. If the focus is there the photo will turn out great, if not it will turn out less than optimal.

But whichever smartphone camera, I have not experienced one that can match the dslr. The quality is immediately clear, depsite the megapixels. A good lens and an eye for composition makes a lot of difference, despite the software tweaking. I still believe a better qualiity lens could make a big difference in crossing the threshold for better smartphone photograhy.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-14-2017 02:24 PM
    nice composition. Those are some lont ant antenni!
    11-14-2017 02:25 PM

I have a Lumia 950XL...and friends and people that have seen the photos I take with it...always have complemented them..
    Last edited by Guytronic; 11-14-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    11-14-2017 04:26 PM
    The best camera is subjective without more context. When you say best, what do you mean by the best?
    Best:
    Exposure
    Low light quality
    Contrast
    Sharpness
    Shutter speed
    Etc..
    (lumias are top notch IMO, but we don't see much of them getting any mention in comparisons)

Dont we typically see most of these having some pros and cons in these various attributes?

Pixel or pixel 2
    iPhone 8+ or X
    Galaxy Note 8
    V30
    U11
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-14-2017 09:33 PM
    Considering now there's a lot of people switching around, it would be good for Windows Central to run a camera poll and include the lumia 950 in it again, mainly for comparison.

It annoys me to no end that the new phone cameras just aren't convincingly better than a 2 year old l950 phone.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-14-2017 11:50 PM
    For a while there I was convinced smartphones were going to top and depose DSLR or Mirrorless and M43 cameras.
    Smartphones do produce impressive results yet I'm thinking actual cameras are seeing a resurgence for even amateur photographers.

Frankly I had considered dumping real cameras and going smartslab only.
    Just couldn't do it because I just love fiddling with a camera where I can switch lenses and attach other accessories.
    Smartphones seem to be give and take engineering, tricks with smoke and mirrors currently.
    To me the key is being able to change that lens which smartphones just can't do.

In my opinion the smartphone may have opened a pathway for budding photographers that may want more in the complex world picture taking.
    mark233 and CrockettGTO like this.
    11-15-2017 12:11 AM

None. The only one was Panasonic Lumix CM1 with 1" sensor size but has been discontinued. The successor CM10 is just a camera without GSM capabilities.

The sensor size of all these new phones is ridiculous. They are all gimmicks. Tried everything and I can tell you will be fed up by the poor details, artificial bokeh (uhh) and lousy algorithms for color, sharpness and denoise.

If you plan to showcase any of your work on social media, a 12MP phone will give you the best results given the sensors they use. If you plan to make prints or posters, there is no replacement to what you have.

I am on the same boat with you...
    11-15-2017 08:09 AM
    Ironically the Nokia 6 seems better than the Nokia 8. At least to my eye. Check out the low-light color chart here.

https://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3...&idPhone2=8522
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-15-2017 09:21 AM
    Just couldn't do it because I just love fiddling with a camera where I can switch lenses and attach other accessories.
    Beastgrip is satisfying that urge for me, for now...
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-15-2017 09:54 AM
    Can't find enough positive reviews of the Kodak Ektra to make me bite. Standing pat with my 950 for now.
    Guytronic and BajanSaint69 like this.
    11-15-2017 03:29 PM
    I went from the Lumia 950 XL to the Pixel 2 XL, and the image quality is much improved, so I would recommend it (my biggest issue with the 950 was poor low light photography, as someone who would use it to snap pics of bands it wasn't up to scratch). I assume there are Android camera apps that allow DNG file saving, there's pretty much an Android app for everything.

Actually the vast majority of camera phones in the flagships now are better than the Lumia 950, mostly in low light, which the 950 really struggled.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 11-15-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    11-15-2017 04:57 PM
    I went from the Lumia 950 XL to the Pixel 2 XL, and the image quality is much improved, so I would recommend it (my biggest issue with the 950 was poor low light photography, as someone who would use it to snap pics of bands it wasn't up to scratch). I assume there are Android camera apps that allow DNG file saving, there's pretty much an Android app for everything.

Actually the vast majority of camera phones in the flagships now are better than the Lumia 950, mostly in low light, which the 950 really struggled.
    I haven't been able to compare with the Pixel 2, but I have severe reservations with the SGS8, that doesn't always take better phones.

With respect to low light, I've had issues in really dark photos, but when fiddling with the camera controls, increased exposure time, they come out good. Only major problem with exposure time is the need to hold the phone steady.

In general though, my problems with the L950 camera tend to stem from it being slow, and the apps buggy, picture quality is good enough to not really bother with a point and shoot though.
    11-16-2017 11:36 PM
    Coming from a 950XL, I have just gotten a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. While it's still too early to tell, so far I haven't been too impressed with the camera. The 950XL continues to amaze me even though it's already 2 years old. The only shortcomings are the lowlight focusing and lack of optical zoom.

On paper, I think the Huawei Mate 10 Pro seems to have the best camera hardware setup - the secondary monochrome sensor should help with the image details and sharpness, although I don't think Huawei has truly taken full advantage of its capabilities.
    11-18-2017 10:22 PM

The 950 is actually pretty good at lowlight due to the Pureview sampling. The only shortcoming is the poor autofocus in lowlight. I'd guess that the poor results that you have gotten is probably due to incorrect focusing that makes the image come out looking soft. But focused correctly the result can be really good.
    fin11 likes this.
    11-18-2017 10:25 PM
    The 950XL is more than capable in low light.

Both are unedited...
    What it doesn't do well in autofocus, I can always switch to manual focus.

For me, the litmus test is alway extreme low light macro. The 920 was one of the fastest at this, but I found the colours accuracy & graininess for such shots is better on 950XL

... !
    11-19-2017 07:52 AM
    Huawei P20 Pro looks like a contender.....
    03-30-2018 06:32 PM
58 123