Windows Live RSS reader?

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Is there a RSS reader in Windows Live so I can have one central RSS feed that I can read on both my computer and phone..? I'm not interested in anything google.. I use currently use Outlook, and have all my RSS feeds coming in no problem, but I'd like to be able to also read them on my phone when I'm out and about..

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, there is nothing that doesn't involve using Google Reader. In fact, I can't find any good RSS readers for WP7 that DON'T link to GReader at all.

Is there any reason you're shying away from Google? Their Reader ecosystem is the standard.. and pretty solid. I use it with Wonder Reader on my Focus and it works great.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you considered getting a Twitter account an following sites and using that almost like a reader? You might not get all the features of a reader, but it seems to work nicely for me.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't really do the RSS thing but can't you use Zune for that? Podcast and channels are both in the collections list on my Zune software.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Not that I know of. I was looking for the same thing but the closest alternative is windows live mail. It has rss reader functionality (not as good as google's) and integrates with Internet Explorer on the desktop but there's no WP7 integration. It seems few, if any, of the current WP7 readers offer opml import (OS limitation?). Everything is Google reader or manually adding feeds.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

ctt1wbw

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, there is nothing that doesn't involve using Google Reader. In fact, I can't find any good RSS readers for WP7 that DON'T link to GReader at all.

Is there any reason you're shying away from Google? Their Reader ecosystem is the standard.. and pretty solid. I use it with Wonder Reader on my Focus and it works great.

One word: Flux.

AdamDawes

Feb 4, 2011
www.adamdawes.com
Hello,

I'm not sure if you're still looking, but if you are, you could try giving my app RSS Central a try -- I think it does the things you are looking for.

It's a stand-alone reader, which isn't integrated with Google at all. It supports import and export of .opml files (using Dropbox to transfer the files) and this makes it a piece of cake to synchronise the feeds you are using between Outlook and the phone. You can export the subscriptions from the phone and then import them into Outlook by right-clicking the "RSS Feeds" item in the tree and selecting "Import an OPML file", or alternatively export the feeds from Outlook into the appropriate Dropbox folder and import them into the phone. I'll be happy to provide more details if you need.

The scrolling is smooth too. :) Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Best regards,

Adam.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to second the recommendation of rss central, it's a fantastic rss reader, the best for the wp7 in my opinion.

jkavanagh58

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Used To

Is there a RSS reader in Windows Live so I can have one central RSS feed that I can read on both my computer and phone..? I'm not interested in anything google.. I use currently use Outlook, and have all my RSS feeds coming in no problem, but I'd like to be able to also read them on my phone when I'm out and about..

my.live.com was the Windows Live attempt at an RSS Reader. It wasn't bad but recently it was replaced with my.msn.com which has some limitations (i.e. limited number of tabs) and sadly Google Reader is far better.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I use the RSS reader built into the Windows Live Mail desktop client, but there is no central place in Live for this. I have sent in feedback quite often about this, would be really cool to have my read/unread feeds marked between PC, phone, etc... This is the one thing I really find wanting in the Live suite of services. I suggest all of you send in feedback if this is something you would like to see.

Just go to live.com and click the Feedback button at the very bottom of the page!

edonistart

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I'm biased here since I'm the developer of Flux, but wanna let you know that in the just released v2 scrolling issue has been fixed, or at least I hope so!

Rewritten from scratch for Mango, you'll get offline reading, multiple live tiles, incremental sync, embedded YouTube player and much more...

Hope this helps,
edoardo

Last edited:

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered getting a Twitter account an following sites and using that almost like a reader? You might not get all the features of a reader, but it seems to work nicely for me.

This is what I do. I follow all of my favorite news sources on Twitter. Then on my phone (People Hub), I created a "group" comprised of the different news sources that I have in my Twitter account, essentially turning that "group" folder into it's own little feed reader.

It's pretty much the only reason I even have a Twitter account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb