01-05-2013 09:05 PM
169 1234 ...
tools
    Welcome all, the more the merrier as far as im concerned !
    nyquistjack and Garrett92C like this.
    08-22-2011 07:16 PM
    OK, I'm here. Can't decide the AT&T HTC or Sprint HTC. Same handle on Precentral.
    08-23-2011 12:15 AM
    OK, I'm here. Can't decide the AT&T HTC or Sprint HTC. Same handle on Precentral.
    HTC Sept 1st event to feature Windows Phone devices: Eternity, Omega

HTC is supposed to reveal the Omega and Eternity on September 1st. Eternity looks awesome (4.7 inch screen, 1.5 GHz CPU), and I am very jealous it's going to AT&T.
    08-23-2011 07:44 AM
    I just want to throw my $.02 in and welcome all of you to Windows Phone and WPCentral. It's truly unfortunate what's happened to webOS and I'm glad a good number of you have decided to give Microsoft a chance.

HTC Sept 1st event to feature Windows Phone devices: Eternity, Omega

HTC is supposed to reveal the Omega and Eternity on September 1st. Eternity looks awesome (4.7 inch screen, 1.5 GHz CPU), and I am very jealous it's going to AT&T.
    I do believe both myself and Jay Bennett will be at the event for free food and drink... oh and the handsets of course.
    Last edited by RichEdmonds; 08-23-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    smartpatrol and nyquistjack like this.
    08-23-2011 07:57 AM
    another refugee saying Hi! Same username on precentral, considering my options at the moment....
    GekkoAce likes this.
    08-23-2011 08:26 AM
    Welcome fellow refuges. I've posted a couple windows 7/webos comparisons in this thread. I plan on on aggregating them together and to enhance them more. If there is anything you would like me to compare between webOS and Win7 Mango, let me know.

Bottom line, I am a total webOS fanboy, have been since the original Feb '09 announcement. I spent a good while active over on Precentral. My goal here is to keep the community together on this side of the world. I am quite confident that anyone from webOS who tries windows 7 will find that it is a close cousin or a kindred spirit to webOS. It does some things better, some things not as well but there is a lot that is just as good.

Also, so far the community over here is very simliar to the Precentral in the early days building up to and the inital release of the Pre. Not huge but they love their platform and are happy to help it seems.
    08-23-2011 08:49 AM
    I'm here as well - thanks for the Welcome thread.

Launch-day Pre user who briefly defected to Android, then returned to webOS after 9 months of the Evo's disjointed user experience.

Currently evaluating WP7 on a Samsung Focus alongside my Veer - I still carry both and use them in similar situations.

I have to say, WP7 was my only choice for a new platform, and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It hasn't yet engendered the kind of device-love I have for webOS, but it's a very, very nice experience.
    nyquistjack likes this.
    08-23-2011 04:37 PM
    I'm here as well - thanks for the Welcome thread.

Launch-day Pre user who briefly defected to Android, then returned to webOS after 9 months of the Evo's disjointed user experience.

Currently evaluating WP7 on a Samsung Focus alongside my Veer - I still carry both and use them in similar situations.

I have to say, WP7 was my only choice for a new platform, and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It hasn't yet engendered the kind of device-love I have for webOS, but it's a very, very nice experience.
    Definitely recognize your handle from Precentral.

I have to agree with the device-love. I am not there yet either. I am not sure we can replicate the experience with the Pre. I still remember the days where the community were the only ones making apps, we were there for the start of homebrew, we hit the refresh button on our update apps together 4 billion times a day for the days leading up to the next update. We rejoiced over every new app. I think the device is as important as the initial experience we all had with it...just my 2 cents anyway.

That being said, I am really starting to get along with my device. I am curious what its like in the homebrew world. I think it'd be neat if we webOS folks could bring more homebrew love to this forum. I think the community investing in the improvement of our devices helps alot.
    MrMobile likes this.
    08-23-2011 05:17 PM
    If you guys haven't tried Board Express yet, I highly recommend it. It's a very nice Tapatalk client. :)

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
    08-23-2011 05:48 PM
    I still remember the days where the community were the only ones making apps, we were there for the start of homebrew, we hit the refresh button on our update apps together 4 billion times a day for the days leading up to the next update. We rejoiced over every new app.
    Oh the good 'ol days... Waiting to see which WP7 Mango phone will land on Sprint before I make the leap. (STILL using launch day Pre-.) If they get a decent phone, I'll make the jump. Otherwise like I said before, I'll Frankenpre. iOS and Android are definitely not options for me.

Glad to see the spirit of WebOS carry on over here, as well as many of the developers;)
    08-23-2011 06:57 PM
    Definitely recognize your handle from Precentral.

I have to agree with the device-love. I am not there yet either. I am not sure we can replicate the experience with the Pre. I still remember the days where the community were the only ones making apps, we were there for the start of homebrew, we hit the refresh button on our update apps together 4 billion times a day for the days leading up to the next update. We rejoiced over every new app. I think the device is as important as the initial experience we all had with it...just my 2 cents anyway.

That being said, I am really starting to get along with my device. I am curious what its like in the homebrew world. I think it'd be neat if we webOS folks could bring more homebrew love to this forum. I think the community investing in the improvement of our devices helps alot.

Yeah there is definitely that sense of the homebrew community connection missing on this platform. The Pre/webOS had more personality in that sense. There is no way to replicate this and it's best not to approach in such terms.

Just enjoy WP7 for the strengths it has in offering the most impressive UI experience now available for any mobile platform and for the ecosystem, apps, and hardware that Palm was never able to quite deliver.
    08-23-2011 09:05 PM
    Yeah there is definitely that sense of the homebrew community connection missing on this platform. The Pre/webOS had more personality in that sense. There is no way to replicate this and it's best not to approach in such terms.

Just enjoy WP7 for the strengths it has in offering the most impressive UI experience now available for any mobile platform and for the ecosystem, apps, and hardware that Palm was never able to quite deliver.
    Well said.
    08-23-2011 09:16 PM
    Pre- user from a couple weeks after launch day. Pre died a few months ago so I went to a FrankenPre2 on Sprint.

I was getting lousy coverage on Sprint, and also was feeling WebOS was going to be abandoned, so the day before HP's announcement I went to Verizon and an HTC Trophy. Turns out my timing was pretty good!

So far I like it -- it's not WebOS but it's pretty nice. I Mangoed it over the weekend, and love the speed. I used to miss calls and txts fairly regularly on Sprint but this phone on Verizon is rock solid -- so I'm happy!

My one gripe is there doesn't seem to be an app to equal Dr.Podder for WebOS -- combination of Zune Podcasts and the Podcast! app are getting me most of the content, but it all seems much harder.

BSR
    (same handle as PreCentral, but I lurked more than I posted)
    08-24-2011 12:33 AM
    Yeah, the speed is truly mind-boggling. If webOS was that smooth I probably would have stuck it out through a dozen more shutdowns ;)

Sprint is actually really good in my area, as good, if not better, than Verizon. But I have missed many calls simply because my Pre- bogged down and I could get it to register screen taps. Sigh...
    08-24-2011 09:23 AM
    My name is gzinkl, and I'm a recovering webOS addict.

I've been down the path of almost all the mobile OS's - blackberry when they were king (I loved my Pearls and the first Bold!), Pre-, iOS (iPhone 4), Pre+, and then less then a week after HP jumped ship, I acquired an HD7S. Very nice, but definitely ready for Mango to be on it. (I don't want to do anything that would void my warranty or prevent me from returning the device after 30 days if I decide to do so).

I will not be giving up my TouchPad, however, but my dream for a unified mobile ecosystem has been destroyed. Thanks, HP, for leading me on. :(.

Anyway, I've been learning the OS like crazy, and enjoy the forums and articles. Still following the excellent Precentral site. Just in case (ha ha).
    08-24-2011 10:25 AM
    This provided me a hearty chuckle. I guess it is sort of like an addiction...
    lukehale, gzinkl and webosisalive! like this.
    08-24-2011 10:58 AM
    WebOS refugee. I have had my HTC Arrive for 6 days.

Pros:
    Faster than my Pre-
    Apps (I have found a replacement for all of them, except Carbon)
    Netflix (I know its an app, but coming from a Pre-, this app is all I need)
    People Hub
    Music Hub (although, I had a Zune since 2006)
    On Screen Keyboard (I barely use the slide out keyboard, I type faster using the on screen one)
    Bing Maps (It works when I needed to, Google maps on the Pre- was "iffy" at best)
    The Look of the overall OS

Cons:
    NOTIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and
    NOTIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hopefully this will be address)
    IE (this thing sucks, I know it will be updated. I need this updated before the NFL starts though. There aren't any fantasy football apps, so I need use the phone's internet to control my fantasy football teams)
    Search - (We need "just type")
    Unified Email - (Mango, I think)
    Size (I'm just used to the Palm Pre)

and last but not least....

Closing of the apps. Pressing the back button 1000 times is not going to cut it.
    08-24-2011 04:50 PM
    @Shobiz

Carbon for WP7 is currently in private beta. It's coming...

You can exit apps faster by just pressing the Windows key.

:)
    08-24-2011 06:08 PM
    New WP7 Owner and WebOS refugee here too :).

I am the proud new owner of a Samsung Focus as of today, currently in the processes of being updated to Mango. I haven't been this excited about a new tech device since I became a WebOS fan, and I think I will love Windows Phone even better. I already see how it is better in many (if not quite all) ways.
    08-24-2011 07:00 PM

I've been down the path of almost all the mobile OS's - blackberry when they were king (I loved my Pearls and the first Bold!), Pre-, iOS (iPhone 4), Pre+, and then less then a week after HP jumped ship, I acquired an HD7S. Very nice, but definitely ready for Mango to be on it. (I don't want to do anything that would void my warranty or prevent me from returning the device after 30 days if I decide to do so).

I will not be giving up my TouchPad, however, but my dream for a unified mobile ecosystem has been destroyed. Thanks, HP, for leading me on. :(.

Anyway, I've been learning the OS like crazy, and enjoy the forums and articles. Still following the excellent Precentral site. Just in case (ha ha).
    Don't give up on the dream of a unified mobile ecosystem. It just may come in a different form than you expected.

I'm betting that by the time we see Windows Phone 8, we'll see some crazy integration with Windows 8, all the MS cloud services, and XBOX.
    08-24-2011 08:04 PM
    Don't give up on the dream of a unified mobile ecosystem. It just may come in a different form than you expected.

I'm betting that by the time we see Windows Phone 8, we'll see some crazy integration with Windows 8, all the MS cloud services, and XBOX.
    Definitely! The rumor is that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 will be able to run the same apps, similar to how Android & iOS can run the same apps on tablet and smartphone. I'm extremely psyched to see what MS has in store for Windows 8 tablets. It looks to be the best of both worlds: touch-friendly tablet UI with app store, plus the ability to dock it and use it as a real full-blown PC.

Anyway, we will learn a whole lot more from the Microsoft BUILD conference starting September 13.
    08-24-2011 09:00 PM
    Cons:
    1) NOTIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hopefully this will be address)
    2) IE (this thing sucks, I know it will be updated. I need this updated before the NFL starts though. There aren't any fantasy football apps, so I need use the phone's internet to control my fantasy football teams)
    3) Search - (We need "just type")
    4) Unified Email - (Mango, I think)
    5) Closing of the apps. Pressing the back button 1000 times is not going to cut it.
    1) Partially agreed.
    2) I'm really sorry, but IE, specially IE9, is much better than the browser on WebOS 2.x, the HTML 5 support, for example, is pathetic (and so is on WP7 pre-Mango, but WebOS is based on Webkit, they've got no pretext, but poor coders).
    3) Just type is good. But it isn't a clear win for WebOS, Bing on WP7 Mango supports things Just type doesn't and vice versa (Local Scout is amazing).
    4) Mango actually uses a better approach, it's configurable.
    5) You don't close apps on WP7 Mango (or WP7 pre-Mango for that matter). On Mango you merely keep back pressed to get into a card-like view of your most recent apps. These apps are not running in the same way they do on WebOS (thankfully, WebOS approach kills the battery for no reason), and you don't need to close them.
    08-24-2011 09:29 PM
    Hi Everyone! Thanks to nyquistjack for starting this thread. I'm in the exact same situation - with no Pre3 coming, I decided to switch from Pre- to HTC Arrive, but I also am getting a TouchPad so I have something running WebOS (that's not antiquated). Before finding this thread I posted elsewhere for suggestions on apps I can use on both platforms, in particular that can share data somehow:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ion/180115.htm

Also still getting used to Live Tiles - anyone have suggestions for apps that actually have animated tiles vs just a static picture? I read somewhere that Flixter does something, but it hasn't changed yet for me...

Overall happy so far with Windows Phone - not the same experience, but not a bad one. For the most part simple & intuitive, like WebOS, and (from my limited experience with them) NOT like Android or iOS.
    Last edited by robjp1111; 08-24-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    08-24-2011 09:40 PM
    A couple more questions.
    Beyond the pre-installed apps, which are you finding most useful?
    I use Windows Live Mesh to sync favorites across my PCs - anyone know if this will be expanded to Windows Phone?
    08-24-2011 10:17 PM
    A couple more questions.
    Beyond the pre-installed apps, which are you finding most useful?
    I use Windows Live Mesh to sync favorites across my PCs - anyone know if this will be expanded to Windows Phone?
    Right off the bat

WPCentral App- so your favorite site is now mobile and easy access
    Poynt- available on other platforms, great multi-use app
    HTC Youtube- much better than Microsoft Youtube app (HTC Only)
    Accuweather.com App with Live Tile support- Awesome for that feature alone
    Seesmic- good for integrating your facebook and twitter into one app
    robjp1111 likes this.
    08-24-2011 11:17 PM
169 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD