The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-05-2013 09:05 PM
169 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Not quite a refugee yet but the clock is ticking. I was huge webOS fan and relatively early adopter. Not a launch day buyer but within three months I was a satisfied owner of a Pre- and spending way too much time at PreCentral.

The whole HP/Palm/webOS debacle has left a sour taste in my mouth and the cold stark reality that there will never be another Sprint webOS phone coupled with the inevitable effects of age on my Pre has me researching alternatives & I'm leaning heavily toward the HTC Arrive

Love the Pre portrait slider and physical keypad but the Oreo factor has begun to take its toll and some of the keys don't respond like they used to. I've gotten used to thumbnail typing but when I look up and realize eight words are strung together with dropped characters because the space bar and random letters didn't register it's a little frustrating.

She's a little slower than I'd like but I'm thinking cards, gestures, multitasking, and most of all "just type" may be too hard to live without even for a faster, slicker phone.

MS Office compatibility (even if it's a little limited at the moment) and Zune syncing are very appealing and while I enjoyed the mods and tweaks developed by webOS Internals and PreWare, I think I want something now that just works without the distraction of rooting and patching.

So, maybe it's time to move on but all the little things I love(d) about webOS and the Pre will make parting such sour sorrow.

But it's nice to know I'm not alone in my emotional attachment and the impending break-up between me and my Pre.
    Last edited by Scottitude; 09-14-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: sp
    09-14-2011 11:34 PM
    Thought I'd post an update (cross posted from another post cause I am lazy)

I pulled the trigger last night. I will write-up an arrive to evo 3d comparrison after I've had some time with it. First impressions are as such:
    The stock keyboard on the evo SUCKS TOTALL MONKEY SACK!!!! I miss the wp7 keyboard in a million billion ways. I am going to try some other kbs soon

Evo 3d (just evo from here on out) is quick. It's relatively smooth most of the time. But it lacks that otherworldly smoothness of WP7.

Wholly apps batman. There are a trillion of them. I like the app store better too. I felt like I could never find anything on the WP7.

Evo edges out WP7 on voice capabilities. It's more integrated and slightly more accurate

I miss Metro. I keep trying to swipe side to side for stuff, instead I have to search for buttons or hit that stupid context menu

It's still a novelty I am sure, but I like live wallpapers.

Evo crushes the lock screen of WP7 in just about every way.

Free Tethering!!! - Just in time for vacation

PANDORA - god I missed it

That's about all I have for now. I'll report back later after I've had some burn in time.
    ikkf likes this.
    09-15-2011 11:52 AM
    Not quite a refugee yet but the clock is ticking. I was huge webOS fan and relatively early adopter. Not a launch day buyer but within three months I was a satisfied owner of a Pre- and spending way too much time at PreCentral.

The whole HP/Palm/webOS debacle has left a sour taste in my mouth and the cold stark reality that there will never be another Sprint webOS phone coupled with the inevitable effects of age on my Pre has me researching alternatives & I'm leaning heavily toward the HTC Arrive

Love the Pre portrait slider and physical keypad but the Oreo factor has begun to take its toll and some of the keys don't respond like they used to. I've gotten used to thumbnail typing but when I look up and realize eight words are strung together with dropped characters because the space bar and random letters didn't register it's a little frustrating.

She's a little slower than I'd like but I'm thinking cards, gestures, multitasking, and most of all "just type" may be too hard to live without even for a faster, slicker phone.

MS Office compatibility (even if it's a little limited at the moment) and Zune syncing are very appealing and while I enjoyed the mods and tweaks developed by webOS Internals and PreWare, I think I want something now that just works without the distraction of rooting and patching.

So, maybe it's time to move on but all the little things I love(d) about webOS and the Pre will make parting such sour sorrow.

But it's nice to know I'm not alone in my emotional attachment and the impending break-up between me and my Pre.
    Welcome. We all know exactly how you are feeling. After a month with Windows Phone 7 I have mixed feelings. I believe deep down that Windows Phone 9 and Windows 9 will be the holly grail. I think 8 is going to make great strides in that direction. You will definitely miss a lot of features from webOS, especially its seemless multitasking and notifications. But you can definitely adjust.

I just personally recommend waiting until the next batch of phones come out. Especially if you are with Sprint. The Arrive just didn't do it for me. Mostly because the physical keyboard was just int he way and the device was too narrow for my fingers for the awesome virtual keyboard.

Good luck, you are amongst friends!
    09-15-2011 11:56 AM
    IDK, my 2 year contract w/ Sprint has been done since Aug... Was waiting to jump wherever the Pre 3 landed, then HP pulled the rug out from under me (us). My franken Pre 2 is holding up well, with exception to GPS problems which may be related to the comm board swap. I've always liked the Pre keyboards and in fact prefer a physical keyboard. I'm starting to open my mind to VKBs though, mainly due to larger screens and all the reviews of WP7's VKB.

My first thought on a future upgrade was to go to Android. It's not iOS and there is plenty of tweeks you can add on. BUT, I keep getting a bad feeling every time I pick up a demo unit in the stores. Something just feels off. Not sure how to say it, but the best I can come up with is, it feels thrown together. 1 of my friends went from webOS to Android, he likes some of the apps / features but has said that he kind of misses webOS. Another friend of mine works in IT and preaches Android all the way. Sometimes it feels like his life depends on me switching to Android. He said some things last night (Android vs. WP7) that just don't sound right. Edit: you can check the thread I started last night to read more about it... http://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?f=222&t=180597

So now I'm entertaining WP7. This forum has the familiar feel of Precentral's forum when it comes to having a passion for the OS. I like what I have seen so far, but have this unsettling feeling. You see, I tend to fall for stuff that doesn't last... Dreamcast, HD-DVD, webOS (could pull through, but I feel it won't). I've read that the app count is increasing on WP7, but will it keep going strong into the future? I'm also wishing I knew someone with a WP7 that I could mess with. Store demo's just don't give an accurate portrayal of how it feels in your hand (stupid security stuff all over it) and how it runs in the real world, syncing multiple email accounts, messaging and syncing with twitter, facebook, etc. Lastly, I think I want to go with Verizon (best signal strength in my area), they only have 1 WP7 to pick from. Are they getting more models when the next round of hardware comes around?

In the end, I think I will choose WP7 over Android and iOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by sinime; 09-15-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    09-15-2011 12:45 PM
    My first thought on a future upgrade was to go to Android. It's not iOS and there is plenty of tweeks you can add on. BUT, I keep getting a bad feeling every time I pick up a demo unit in the stores. Something just feels off. Not sure how to say it, but the best I can come up with is, it feels thrown together. 1 of my friends went from webOS to Android, he likes some of the apps / features but has said that he kind of misses webOS. Another friend of mine works in IT and preaches Android all the way. Sometimes it feels like his life depends on me switching to Android. He said some things last night (Android vs. WP7) that just don't sound right.
    That's exactly how I've always felt, and I think it's how a lot of WP and WebOS adopters here have felt about Android. I just couldn't put it into words as well as you just did. Android has always felt 'off' to me somehow. That's not to marginalize the people who prefer it, I just think the interface seems like it was designed by software engineers and not usability experts. You can tell that some serious user experience research went into both WebOS and WP7.

I think the majority of the people here feel confident in WP7's future and I don't believe you'll be getting yourself an orphaned OS if you go with it. I'm beginning to think that Microsoft's strategy is to not take on iOS and Android head on, but build up some momentum and start pushing at just the right moment. Instead of climbing over that big hill, I think they're going to skirt around it, if that makes any sense.
    09-15-2011 03:29 PM
    Quick question... With WP7, can you be on the phone with someone and be doing something else at the same time? And if not, is it an upcoming feature of Mango or Tango?
    Eg. 1: On phone while taking notes on a notes type app or in word.
    Eg. 2: On phone while looking something up on the internet (assuming you have a wifi connection)
    Eg. 3: Flat out talking on phone and playing a game?
    09-15-2011 07:25 PM
    Quick question... With WP7, can you be on the phone with someone and be doing something else at the same time? And if not, is it an upcoming feature of Mango or Tango?
    Eg. 1: On phone while taking notes on a notes type app or in word.
    Eg. 2: On phone while looking something up on the internet (assuming you have a wifi connection)
    Eg. 3: Flat out talking on phone and playing a game?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes, minus the audio.

However, fast task switching with webOS like cards only comes when Mango drops.
    09-15-2011 07:43 PM
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes, minus the audio.

However, fast task switching with webOS like cards only comes when Mango drops.
    :) Good to hear.

LOL, I showed my wife, who has been pushing to not go the WP7 path, this pic... http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....kiaconcept.jpg

She's likes the pink one and loved Nokia back in the day. She wants to know when it will be out in the US.... Didn't like my Q1 reply.

Last edited by sinime; 09-19-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    09-15-2011 09:55 PM
    Purchased the HTC Trophy today, can't wait to send the Pre off a cliff but I'll probably end up keeping it for nostalgic reasons. Looking forward to having a phone that just. f'ing. works.
    09-20-2011 03:22 PM
    Purchased the HTC Trophy today, can't wait to send the Pre off a cliff but I'll probably end up keeping it for nostalgic reasons. Looking forward to having a phone that just. f'ing. works.
    You'll have to let me know how you like it after using it for a couple of days. Just curious how bad of a transition it would be going from a Pre's hardware keyboard to a virtual keyboard on a 3.8" screen.

09-20-2011 03:56 PM
    You'll have to let me know how you like it after using it for a couple of days. Just curious how bad of a transition it would be going from a Pre's hardware keyboard to a virtual keyboard on a 3.8" screen.

Seeing as how my keyboard was double pressing some letters and null pressing others...I may be a little biased in my initial review but I'll definitely let you guys know what I think after I've tried it out a bit.
    09-20-2011 04:25 PM
    Precentral.net user here and pre- user from release week one. Have 2.x loaded and hate it every day only because of the hardware. I'm holding out til the Mango phones get released. I am praying Sprint gets more than one this time and I am even considering a slab phone after using a physical keyboard through my Treo 650p - 700p - 755p - HTC Touch pro - pre -.

I have gone to the Sprint store a few times and tried typing and it is miles ahead of webOS on the auto correction. I was pretty impressed. And yes, the UI is blazing fast compared to any brand/model phone I have used or seen before. Anyway, here's to the new OS!
    09-20-2011 08:18 PM
    haha. Nice. I've had my Trophy for approx 2 week's and I've used the "phone" probably 5 times or less. I've been texting more than talking. I'm enjoying not having a keypad that doesn't respond. I'm still learning the in's and out's of the Trophy, but it is a great improvement.
    09-22-2011 08:23 AM

I was a physical keyboard guy myself too. I actually like the on screen kb. It has been great! Now, I do have an HD Zune, which uses the same type of kb, so that probably plays some factor. This is after about 2 weeks of use, texting more than talking.
    09-22-2011 08:29 AM
    I was a physical keyboard guy myself too. I actually like the on screen kb. It has been great! Now, I do have an HD Zune, which uses the same type of kb, so that probably plays some factor. This is after about 2 weeks of use, texting more than talking.
    Same here, former Pre user who loves the onscreen kb for Windows Phone. Question for you and any other former webOS users:

Do you guys use the Windows Phone keyboard in portrait or landscape mode?
    09-22-2011 10:32 AM
    Same here, former Pre user who loves the onscreen kb for Windows Phone. Question for you and any other former webOS users:

mostly portrait. But either orientation is good.
    09-22-2011 04:39 PM
    Ok,back after a crazy week. I got LASIK on Tuesday and the flu on Wednesday. I highly recommend the LASIK, the flu...not so much.

Speaking of not recommending things...android sucks major monkey turds. After a week I want to toss the thing off my roof. The keyboards all suck, not even close to wp7. Everything just feels hacked together. The only good feature was the 3d camera. Turns out 3d is freaking neat, but not even close to enough to put up with the rest of the phone.

So, its back to the Pre this weekend and the waiting game we pre users are so used to. I also get to call sprint and try to get the $200 in charges from trying these phones out removed.

I have to say that the most surprising disappointment though were the notifications. The top bar is so crowd2d with worthless icons and the notifications give no information that I actually decided I preferred wp7 notifications with their limitations. I really miiss webOS right now....

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    smartpatrol likes this.
    09-23-2011 01:15 PM
    mostly portrait. But either orientation is good.
    most of the time I used it in portrait since half the phone doesn't work in landscape

from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    09-23-2011 01:22 PM

I stick with portrait mode unless I'm typing something long like an email. Otherwise it's not even worth the 1 second it takes to change orientations. Portrait mode works fine.
    09-23-2011 03:02 PM
    Hmm... Can I use the wall charger from my Pre to charge my Focus? Same connectors and all... Could the power be too much or to little?

Sent from my Focus using Board Express
    09-26-2011 08:13 AM
    Hmm... Can I use the wall charger from my Pre to charge my Focus? Same connectors and all... Could the power be too much or to little?

You sure can. They both output 5V at 1A.

AFAIK all USB chargers output this same power.
    09-26-2011 11:04 AM
    You sure can. They both output 5V at 1A.

AFAIK all USB chargers output this same power.
    The touchpad usb charger puts out more power than a standard usb charger.
    smartpatrol likes this.
    09-26-2011 11:44 AM
    haha. Nice. I've had my Trophy for approx 2 week's and I've used the "phone" probably 5 times or less. I've been texting more than talking. I'm enjoying not having a keypad that doesn't respond. I'm still learning the in's and out's of the Trophy, but it is a great improvement.
    Running on almost a week now with the Trophy and I absolutely love it. I've made/received maybe 4 phone calls but, like you, I've been texting and exploring like Marco Polo with a cell phone! The software keyboard took a little time to get used to but I can now type just as fast as I could with the hardware keyboard from my old Pre-. I mainly use it portrait style since I'm still used to that type of "squished" layout but I'm more surprised at how easy the autocorrect/replace/suggest works for me (I hated it on the Pre). Now the only thing left is to wait for Mango to bring some multitasking/app switching madness!
    11B1P and nyquistjack like this.
    09-26-2011 01:06 PM

I just used my Pre cable to charge and update my Trophy to Mango yesterday with no problems; have at it!
    09-28-2011 02:16 PM
    Mango is very nice. So far I am loving my Focus. Only things I am missing are an LED for notifications while screen is off, just type for a universal search, custom sounds for notifications, and the beer knurd app I wrote for webOS. Well, I can fix the last one by porting my app over, and the others are ignorable the more i use WP7. WP7 is one slick mobile OS!

09-28-2011 02:49 PM
169 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD