01-05-2013 09:05 PM
169 ... 4567
tools
    OK. I know this isn't a help section but i searched and couldn't find this answer...

At what point do the quick jump letters appear on the apps list page?
    seems to be 10 is the magic number!
    10-21-2011 11:29 PM
    At what point do the quick jump letters appear on the apps list page?
    I seem to recall that my letters appeared at around 42 apps (in total).

I definitely wish Metro UI would let us do more horizontally. The home screen would look especially good if it flowed from left to right, make apps a tile and get rid of that long black bar thing. Also I want to swipe up on the cards. Wish I could change the color and size of tiles like Win 8, maybe in Apollo?
    I think the way that Metro is done makes it hard to do anything meaningful (apart from text entry) in landscape. This is especially not helped along by large headings and such. I believe it is widely expected that tiles will adopt the multi-colour scheme of Windows 8 in Apollo - size is less certain, though I think we should see some Windows 8-esque functionality (wide tiles have the option of being shrunken down to standard).

Agreed but I don't want a number of apps sitting in the background updating every 10 minutes. Sometimes, I'd like to just close it.
    For me, it's more that I feel the need to micromanage to keep things neat or in fear that something will go wrong. The apps will not update in the background unless they utilise background agents, which will either (oversimplifying here) execute at regular intervals (meaning that the open/closed state of the app won't matter), or be caused by an input (audio streams). These agents are limited in functionality and resources so no performance hit is taken.
    Last edited by lumic; 10-22-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    10-22-2011 05:16 AM
    Hey guys. I'm struggling with purchasing the HTC Trophy and jump onto the WP7 bandwagon. Is there an equivalent to having a Palm Profile that will backup my data and restore it and my applications after a factory reset of the device?
    11-01-2011 05:00 AM
    You use your Live ID and when you connect the phone to your PC with Zune installed, I know it backs up some things but not sure if it would reinstall all your app automagically or not.

<<searching>>

Here is a complete list of what gets backed up and what doesn't. What get's restored and what doesn't. It seems apps do get backed up and restored but you may need to manually restore some.

How to Restore a Backup to My Phone | Windows Phone Backup | Windows Phone 7
    11-01-2011 07:28 AM
    Thanks. So, I just ordered a HTC Trophy off ebay. What should my first order of business be? Should it come with Mango? I have also heard you get free SkyDrive storage with Window Phones. Is this true and how do I get it? Thanks for the help to someone who knows very little of this platform.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    11-02-2011 09:14 AM
    Thanks. So, I just ordered a HTC Trophy off ebay. What should my first order of business be? Should it come with Mango? I have also heard you get free SkyDrive storage with Window Phones. Is this true and how do I get it? Thanks for the help to someone who knows very little of this platform.

1. Download and install the latest Zune software if you haven't already.
    2. Sign up for a Live.com account if you don't have one already. This is how you will get Skydrive. (unlimited storage for docs and pics, etc.)
    3. Once you get the phone and activate it with your carrier, connect it to your PC and have Zune check for updates and install all updates. This will eventually install Mango. I wiped my used Arrive before activating just to get a fresh start (Settings > About > reset your phone).

After that it's personal preference. I set the speech setting to always on (Settings > speech). I like to respond to text messages without having to touch my phone. :) Install a bunch of apps you like and enjoy!
    11-02-2011 10:00 AM
    1. Download and install the latest Zune software if you haven't already.
    2. Sign up for a Live.com account if you don't have one already. This is how you will get Skydrive. (unlimited storage for docs and pics, etc.)
    3. Once you get the phone and activate it with your carrier, connect it to your PC and have Zune check for updates and install all updates. This will eventually install Mango. I wiped my used Arrive before activating just to get a fresh start (Settings > About > reset your phone).

After that it's personal preference. I set the speech setting to always on (Settings > speech). I like to respond to text messages without having to touch my phone. :) Install a bunch of apps you like and enjoy!
    Thanks. That is all very helpful. Just by chance are you EdCates from the webOSroundup forums?

11-02-2011 11:03 AM
    Thanks. That is all very helpful. Just by chance are you EdCates from the webOSroundup forums?

NP. Nope. But I have left comments on articles there as IamDefiler and also on precentral.net as Defiler.

EDIT: I see why you asked now. Because of the avatar. :) I just happened to think it was one of the coolest/funniest classic pictures I've seen in a long time.
    11-02-2011 11:06 AM
    NP. Nope. But I have left comments on articles there as IamDefiler and also on precentral.net as Defiler.

EDIT: I see why you asked now. Because of the avatar. :) I just happened to think it was one of the coolest/funniest classic pictures I've seen in a long time.
    Yep. Very unique photo. As a long time Palm user, what are some things that impress you about WP7, and how does it compare to webOS?

11-02-2011 01:31 PM
    Yep. Very unique photo. As a long time Palm user, what are some things that impress you about WP7, and how does it compare to webOS?

Impressed about speed, built-in features like bar code scanning, audible music search, etc. It's honestly rock solid. Still have yet to get a single lockup. Battery life. Integration with Zume Music pass is awesome if you love music. App selection is better. It has everything I truly used on my pre - and then some. The mail app seems to be much more intuitive once you forget about swipe to delete. It handles "Synergy" pretty well although you will have to link profiles a little more than webOS. webOS had a way of knowing who was who and linking where WP7.5 seems to ignore the obvious links. Live tiles are a very nice feature too. And from a design stand point, the UI is minimal, clever, functional, and beautiful. Contact groups are a nice feature too. Group texting, emailing or checking your group's FB posts, etc. is brilliant.

Things I am still scratching my head about are no easy way to close "cards" from the card screen. You have to "back button" your way out to fully close the app. I still haven't figured out how to change the "send as" in emails. I have a number of emails that filter into my one gmail account and I was always able to switch this in webOS but for the life of me, I can't figure it out in WP.

Things I miss from webOS. JUST TYPE!!!! I want to search and not have to go to that app to search for it! I know they are working on integrating contacts into the Bing search but it is not here yet. Same with apps, websites, starting FB posts, etc. This is where webOS just ruled. It was so easy and intuitive and minimized the steps it took to do basic tasks. WP is close but no other mobile OS comes close to webOS yet.

A little funny story from two weeks ago...I went to a friends house the other night and a couple of other friends were there with their new iPhone 4ses and they were demoing some of the new features. I was interested as well. I love tech in general and this is what us geeks do every once in a while; just get together and talk tech. So, my friend asked me to demo some of the features in WP7.5 because they had never used it before. So, I'm going through the gamut of features like the text to speech without even touching the phone, book scanner, text scanner (another one of my favorite features), the Zune music store, etc. I could tell he was liking what he saw and was impressed. So, after a few more minutes of "the demo" he turns to our other friend and says, "Hey Jay, we can't let this Windows Phone show up out iPhones." I knew he was joking but I also knew there were some features he would like to have on his iPhone.

All phones have their good and bad but Mango's pros way outweigh the cons that will eventually be addressed in future updates.
    11-02-2011 02:12 PM
    Impressed about speed, built-in features like bar code scanning, audible music search, etc. It's honestly rock solid. Still have yet to get a single lockup. Battery life. Integration with Zume Music pass is awesome if you love music. App selection is better. It has everything I truly used on my pre - and then some. The mail app seems to be much more intuitive once you forget about swipe to delete. It handles "Synergy" pretty well although you will have to link profiles a little more than webOS. webOS had a way of knowing who was who and linking where WP7.5 seems to ignore the obvious links. Live tiles are a very nice feature too. And from a design stand point, the UI is minimal, clever, functional, and beautiful. Contact groups are a nice feature too. Group texting, emailing or checking your group's FB posts, etc. is brilliant.

Things I am still scratching my head about are no easy way to close "cards" from the card screen. You have to "back button" your way out to fully close the app. I still haven't figured out how to change the "send as" in emails. I have a number of emails that filter into my one gmail account and I was always able to switch this in webOS but for the life of me, I can't figure it out in WP.

Things I miss from webOS. JUST TYPE!!!! I want to search and not have to go to that app to search for it! I know they are working on integrating contacts into the Bing search but it is not here yet. Same with apps, websites, starting FB posts, etc. This is where webOS just ruled. It was so easy and intuitive and minimized the steps it took to do basic tasks. WP is close but no other mobile OS comes close to webOS yet.

A little funny story from two weeks ago...I went to a friends house the other night and a couple of other friends were there with their new iPhone 4ses and they were demoing some of the new features. I was interested as well. I love tech in general and this is what us geeks do every once in a while; just get together and talk tech. So, my friend asked me to demo some of the features in WP7.5 because they had never used it before. So, I'm going through the gamut of features like the text to speech without even touching the phone, book scanner, text scanner (another one of my favorite features), the Zune music store, etc. I could tell he was liking what he saw and was impressed. So, after a few more minutes of "the demo" he turns to our other friend and says, "Hey Jay, we can't let this Windows Phone show up out iPhones." I knew he was joking but I also knew there were some features he would like to have on his iPhone.

All phones have their good and bad but Mango's pros way outweigh the cons that will eventually be addressed in future updates.
    Love the story. I miss Just Type everytime I try another platform. Will the People hub sync my contacts from my Google account and Facebook profiles like synergy?
    11-02-2011 07:40 PM
    Love the story. I miss Just Type everytime I try another platform. Will the People hub sync my contacts from my Google account and Facebook profiles like synergy?
    It will keep them in sync, yes.
    11-02-2011 09:42 PM
    I received my Trophy yesterday, and so far I like it. The interface is fresh and minimalistic. However, I can't find a valid replacement for Dr. Podder. I just want to be able to schedule a time to auto download my favorite podcasts. Am I missing something?

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express
    11-05-2011 08:30 AM
    Marketplace - podcasts. Then search for it there and schedule it.
    11-05-2011 08:55 AM
    Something enjoyable with WP7 so far has been the ability to locate apps that are similar to ones I used on my Palm Pre and I've been able to load them without having to "Dr" the phone, just pick an app and load it - whammo! It works!

I've figured out the WP7 copy paste, but wish it had a select all option.

Do miss "Just type".

am enjoying the much better battery life! all in all am very happy with the switch!
    11-06-2011 05:15 AM
    So far I really like the look and feel of WP7. I am also impressed with the amount of features that are packed into the core of this OS that other platforms rely on apps to implement. However, one feature that I seem to be missing or isn't present, is the ability to save images from the web browser. Is this possible or is it a shortcoming of the OS?
    11-06-2011 09:10 PM
    Most pics you can save by tapping and holding until the selection box pops up. I've saved quite a few pics this way from the web. Using photocrop and photo enhance I even made my own tiles on the arrive to be used for my live tiles! All done on the arrive! Only have run into one image that wouldn't copy.
    11-09-2011 02:58 AM
    I know this is odd, anyone know of a good torrent remote app for Transmission for Ubuntu? Everything I have tried so far has been very spotty.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express
    11-09-2011 11:07 AM
    I wanted to start a thread where we could gather to give each other tips, ideas and to commiserate together.

Precentral Name: nyquistJack
    webosPhone: 2 Sprint Pre- (wife and I)
    other webOS Devices: Touchpad and wifi only Pixi (for my son)

Windows 7: 2 Sprint HTC Arrives (wife and I)

PSA: Don't Hesitate , Install Mango
    Noob frendly MANGO update - xda-developers
    Plenty simple instructions, took about an hour.

For those still trying to figure out if Win7 is their future platform:
    Feel free to ask me to compare anything between webOS and Windows 7. I've already posted several comparisons in this thread and I plan on aggregating them together at some point.

Good Posts that I've stumbled Upon
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/mar...mes/179607.htm
    Mango Tips & Tricks - xda-developers (xda forum-Mango Tips and Tricks)

Current Windows Phone 7 Devices - Front Page Article
    http://www.windowscentral.com/transi...device-roundup
    webOS refugee here just switched from a veer to focus flash, likin it so far
    11-12-2011 09:20 AM
    Has anyone attempted to hack a Touchstone to work with any of the WP7 devices?
    11-17-2011 04:43 AM
    Switched from Pre Plus to a Titan 5 days ago now. I loved WebOS but the Pre had poor battery life, poor performance, and a few problems for my specific phone with keeping the time.

All in all, I am a million times happier with the Titan. The Pre really doesn't even compare with its few pros. I could not go back. I think I may even like WP7 more than WebOS already.
    12-05-2011 10:49 AM
    Just came over from a Pixi Plus to a Focus Flash. So far so good as long as I remember not to swipe screen away.
    12-05-2011 12:08 PM
    Got a Pre+ when VZW first launched it. I now have a Pre2 and a TouchPad. I L.O.V.E webOS, and even as good as WP7.5 is, it is nowhere near a suitable replacement for all the things I love about webOS.

Notifications: I need a unified notification center. I've had my Trophy for a week and I'm sick of scouring my phone to find out what that f'ing notification was. I'm also frustrated without a LED notification. I feel like I have to keep checking my phone every 30 seconds.

Instant Messaging: I really need to have Gtalk integrated into the messaging app. And where the heck is Office Communicator?

Sync: I prefer simple. I liked the USB drive method. Although, I do appreciate the wireless sync, as I've only had to use the Zune software once. I really want to be able to transfer documents, however. Skydrive client isn't really available for WinXP (my work computer).

Camera: Miles ahead of my Pre2.

WiFi Sleep: It sucks. If I'm away from 3G coverage (but have wifi) my phone is all but useless. I cannot comprehend why this isn't configurable.

Apps: I love that there are so many apps here.

Email: I am in love with 90% of WP email. The look, threaded messages, etc. I wish I could actually delete a Google email, though. Currently deleting only archives the server copy. Kind of mucks up my All Mail view in Gmail. I have a couple of email accounts that I rarely use, but would like to know if they have any new messages. I have to keep them pinned to the screen if I want to see new message status. Linking accounts is cool, but one of the swipe panels should be reserved for each individual account. So, if I have three accounts linked, the normal All, Unread, and Flagged panels would remain, but in addition, one panel for each of the three accounts. That would help me manage my needs in this regard much better.

Calendar/email integration: works like you'd expect a MS program to work. Everything works just as it does on my work laptop. Accepting/sending invites, etc. I do like the look of the webOS calendar better, though. WP7 does have a lovely agenda view, so that helps.

Basic controls / UI:

One volume control? Come on! ridiculous. Most games are too loud on "1", yet my ringer is barely audible at this level.

Turning Bluetooth or WiFi on and off requires a few steps, unless you download a 3rd party app and pin yet another tile to your home screen.

Lots of wasted (black) space on the home screen.

The metro UI, while beautiful in its simplicity and consistency, wastes a ton of screen real estate with the huge fonts on the panel headers. Makes my Trophy's usable screen no bigger than an iPhone for all purposes except browser/videos. This is painfully apparent in Twitter apps, where the space wasted on metro could be used to show another tweet or two, and the calendar, where 1/4 of the screen is wasted. I want functionality first, beauty second.

The theme colors all seem washed out. Too much pastel. For a phone with so much professional appeal, the cartoon-like color selection is a mystery.

Homebrew/customization: webOS has no comparison. I want access to my device and all the convenience that comes with that. And I mean convenient access - webOS Internals, Canuck Coding, and the other homebrewers/patchers are second to none in making webOS a custom build for every user.

The Marketplace search function is abysmal. Search for "twitter": Only half the Twitter apps show up, and half the apps that do show up have nothing to do with Twitter. Why? I thought MS had Bing! in their toolbox.

How the heck do you close the Zune music player?

Wish we could create shortcuts for the text assist.

Multitasking: WP7.5 is fine. That's not my gripe. I haven't really found a limitation that I can't live with.

Screen: This is my biggest gripe, as the beautiful screen on my Trophy will make it hard to live with my Pre2 again, should I abandon WP. (just kidding) :P

All that being said, here's some things I've never experienced before:

I haven't had to restart my phone for a week. That's right - no crashes, freezes, or other BS behavior that would require a restart of my webOS phone.

Fully functional, no questions asked, no special app to keep it running, spot-on GPS. F'ing love it.

OK, that's enough for now. (Did anyone actually read this whole thing?)
    Last edited by GHT; 12-05-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    12-05-2011 01:42 PM
    Hi guys. I agree with everything in the post above. I just wish it were a little more configurable. What I really want is accent colors that aren't so bright.

Things I miss:

• Homebrew community/flexibility (I miss Jason, Rod, Sconix)
    • Just Type
    • Awesome account unification with multiple gmail calendars (seems half-assed in WP- people aren't going to suddenly stop using their gmail accounts, so Microsoft should at least make them usable on the phone instead of frustrating)
    • Ability to have more than 1 personal/work/other email account/phone number per contact
    • Notification light (why fumble with the phone and waste battery turning on the screen??)
    • Ability to close apps without having to back all the way out.

These are all things I can get used to, but make the phone more frustrating than it needs to be. There are some things WebOS did poorly, but some things it did awesomely... MS still has a bit to learn from it.
    12-21-2011 12:41 PM
    Current webOS user here looking to make the switch to WP. Just wanted to say hi and that I look forward to being a part of this community. Happy New Year!
    01-01-2012 01:09 AM
169 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD