webOS Refugees - Meet Here

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
little FYI:

keep in mind to all of your with MANGO BETA or MANGO OEM... none of those apps right now support Multitask correctly . your gona need to wait till official MANGO apps start rolling out for it . so if u dont like the Multitask ,, you should wait and see!!

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: looks like nyquistjack beat me by a minute!

LOL. I am not usually this on top of the forums, but I am irritated that Amazon won't refund my money for my launch week touchpad like every other retailer is. It's thrown me off and I don't feel like working now...so, here I am on the forums ;)

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
little FYI:

keep in mind to all of your with MANGO BETA or MANGO OEM... none of those apps right now support Multitask correctly . your gona need to wait till official MANGO apps start rolling out for it . so if u dont like the Multitask ,, you should wait and see!!

Good point. For example: apps like Slacker still pause when switching apps. I am actually looking forward to what developers do with some of the new Mango neatness. I am looking forward to apps like ShopSaavy taking advantage of the new UPC-code scanning ability. The built-in stuff is amazing, takes like a second to read a code. But ShopSaavy has a better database and returns more results.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
LOL. I am not usually this on top of the forums, but I am irritated that Amazon won't refund my money for my launch week touchpad like every other retailer is. It's thrown me off and I don't feel like working now...so, here I am on the forums ;)

That sucks (as does the whole webOS situation in general)!

But I have to say, it's nice to see the forums getting a lot more active lately! Between all the webOs folks joining up, and the imminent Mango release, the activity here is really picking up.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
That sucks (as does the whole webOS situation in general)!

But I have to say, it's nice to see the forums getting a lot more active lately! Between all the webOs folks joining up, and the imminent Mango release, the activity here is really picking up.

yeah as a top poster on this week in and week out , im feeling over welmed about all thes new faces :) im loving it

no offence but i thik WEBOS going under is the best thing that happened to WP7 sints realse last year , LOL!! ;)

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just want to throw my $.02 in and welcome all of you to Windows Phone and WPCentral. It's truly unfortunate what's happened to webOS and I'm glad a good number of you have decided to give Microsoft a chance.

HTC Sept 1st event to feature Windows Phone devices: Eternity, Omega

HTC is supposed to reveal the Omega and Eternity on September 1st. Eternity looks awesome (4.7 inch screen, 1.5 GHz CPU), and I am very jealous it's going to AT&T.
I do believe both myself and Jay Bennett will be at the event for free food and drink... oh and the handsets of course.

Last edited:

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Welcome fellow refuges. I've posted a couple windows 7/webos comparisons in this thread. I plan on on aggregating them together and to enhance them more. If there is anything you would like me to compare between webOS and Win7 Mango, let me know.

Bottom line, I am a total webOS ******, have been since the original Feb '09 announcement. I spent a good while active over on Precentral. My goal here is to keep the community together on this side of the world. I am quite confident that anyone from webOS who tries windows 7 will find that it is a close cousin or a kindred spirit to webOS. It does some things better, some things not as well but there is a lot that is just as good.

Also, so far the community over here is very simliar to the Precentral in the early days building up to and the inital release of the Pre. Not huge but they love their platform and are happy to help it seems.

MrMobile

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm here as well - thanks for the Welcome thread.

Launch-day Pre user who briefly defected to Android, then returned to webOS after 9 months of the Evo's disjointed user experience.

Currently evaluating WP7 on a Samsung Focus alongside my Veer - I still carry both and use them in similar situations.

I have to say, WP7 was my only choice for a new platform, and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It hasn't yet engendered the kind of device-love I have for webOS, but it's a very, very nice experience.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm here as well - thanks for the Welcome thread.

Launch-day Pre user who briefly defected to Android, then returned to webOS after 9 months of the Evo's disjointed user experience.

Currently evaluating WP7 on a Samsung Focus alongside my Veer - I still carry both and use them in similar situations.

I have to say, WP7 was my only choice for a new platform, and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It hasn't yet engendered the kind of device-love I have for webOS, but it's a very, very nice experience.

Definitely recognize your handle from Precentral.

I have to agree with the device-love. I am not there yet either. I am not sure we can replicate the experience with the Pre. I still remember the days where the community were the only ones making apps, we were there for the start of homebrew, we hit the refresh button on our update apps together 4 billion times a day for the days leading up to the next update. We rejoiced over every new app. I think the device is as important as the initial experience we all had with it...just my 2 cents anyway.

That being said, I am really starting to get along with my device. I am curious what its like in the homebrew world. I think it'd be neat if we webOS folks could bring more homebrew love to this forum. I think the community investing in the improvement of our devices helps alot.

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
If you guys haven't tried Board Express yet, I highly recommend it. It's a very nice Tapatalk client. :)

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

preak

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I still remember the days where the community were the only ones making apps, we were there for the start of homebrew, we hit the refresh button on our update apps together 4 billion times a day for the days leading up to the next update. We rejoiced over every new app.

Oh the good 'ol days... Waiting to see which WP7 Mango phone will land on Sprint before I make the leap. (STILL using launch day Pre-.) If they get a decent phone, I'll make the jump. Otherwise like I said before, I'll Frankenpre. iOS and Android are definitely not options for me.

Glad to see the spirit of WebOS carry on over here, as well as many of the developers;)

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Definitely recognize your handle from Precentral.

I have to agree with the device-love. I am not there yet either. I am not sure we can replicate the experience with the Pre. I still remember the days where the community were the only ones making apps, we were there for the start of homebrew, we hit the refresh button on our update apps together 4 billion times a day for the days leading up to the next update. We rejoiced over every new app. I think the device is as important as the initial experience we all had with it...just my 2 cents anyway.

That being said, I am really starting to get along with my device. I am curious what its like in the homebrew world. I think it'd be neat if we webOS folks could bring more homebrew love to this forum. I think the community investing in the improvement of our devices helps alot.

Yeah there is definitely that sense of the homebrew community connection missing on this platform. The Pre/webOS had more personality in that sense. There is no way to replicate this and it's best not to approach in such terms.

Just enjoy WP7 for the strengths it has in offering the most impressive UI experience now available for any mobile platform and for the ecosystem, apps, and hardware that Palm was never able to quite deliver.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah there is definitely that sense of the homebrew community connection missing on this platform. The Pre/webOS had more personality in that sense. There is no way to replicate this and it's best not to approach in such terms.

Just enjoy WP7 for the strengths it has in offering the most impressive UI experience now available for any mobile platform and for the ecosystem, apps, and hardware that Palm was never able to quite deliver.

Well said.

BSR#WP

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I guess this my new home...

Pre- user from a couple weeks after launch day. Pre died a few months ago so I went to a FrankenPre2 on Sprint.

I was getting lousy coverage on Sprint, and also was feeling WebOS was going to be abandoned, so the day before HP's announcement I went to Verizon and an HTC Trophy. Turns out my timing was pretty good!

So far I like it -- it's not WebOS but it's pretty nice. I Mangoed it over the weekend, and love the speed. I used to miss calls and txts fairly regularly on Sprint but this phone on Verizon is rock solid -- so I'm happy!

My one gripe is there doesn't seem to be an app to equal Dr.Podder for WebOS -- combination of Zune Podcasts and the Podcast! app are getting me most of the content, but it all seems much harder.

BSR
(same handle as PreCentral, but I lurked more than I posted)

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the speed is truly mind-boggling. If webOS was that smooth I probably would have stuck it out through a dozen more shutdowns ;)

Sprint is actually really good in my area, as good, if not better, than Verizon. But I have missed many calls simply because my Pre- bogged down and I could get it to register screen taps. Sigh...

gzinkl

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi

My name is gzinkl, and I'm a recovering webOS addict.

I've been down the path of almost all the mobile OS's - blackberry when they were king (I loved my Pearls and the first Bold!), Pre-, iOS (iPhone 4), Pre+, and then less then a week after HP jumped ship, I acquired an HD7S. Very nice, but definitely ready for Mango to be on it. (I don't want to do anything that would void my warranty or prevent me from returning the device after 30 days if I decide to do so).

I will not be giving up my TouchPad, however, but my dream for a unified mobile ecosystem has been destroyed. Thanks, HP, for leading me on. :(.

Anyway, I've been learning the OS like crazy, and enjoy the forums and articles. Still following the excellent Precentral site. Just in case (ha ha).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss