webOS Refugees - Meet Here

Shobiz

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
WebOS refugee. I have had my HTC Arrive for 6 days.

Pros:
Faster than my Pre-
Apps (I have found a replacement for all of them, except Carbon)
Netflix (I know its an app, but coming from a Pre-, this app is all I need)
People Hub
Music Hub (although, I had a Zune since 2006)
On Screen Keyboard (I barely use the slide out keyboard, I type faster using the on screen one)
Bing Maps (It works when I needed to, Google maps on the Pre- was "iffy" at best)
The Look of the overall OS

Cons:
NOTIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and
NOTIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hopefully this will be address)
IE (this thing sucks, I know it will be updated. I need this updated before the NFL starts though. There aren't any fantasy football apps, so I need use the phone's internet to control my fantasy football teams)
Search - (We need "just type")
Unified Email - (Mango, I think)
Size (I'm just used to the Palm Pre)

and last but not least....

Closing of the apps. Pressing the back button 1000 times is not going to cut it.

lukehale

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
New WP7 Owner and WebOS refugee here too :).

I am the proud new owner of a Samsung Focus as of today, currently in the processes of being updated to Mango. I haven't been this excited about a new tech device since I became a WebOS fan, and I think I will love Windows Phone even better. I already see how it is better in many (if not quite all) ways.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My name is gzinkl, and I'm a recovering webOS addict.

I've been down the path of almost all the mobile OS's - blackberry when they were king (I loved my Pearls and the first Bold!), Pre-, iOS (iPhone 4), Pre+, and then less then a week after HP jumped ship, I acquired an HD7S. Very nice, but definitely ready for Mango to be on it. (I don't want to do anything that would void my warranty or prevent me from returning the device after 30 days if I decide to do so).

I will not be giving up my TouchPad, however, but my dream for a unified mobile ecosystem has been destroyed. Thanks, HP, for leading me on. :(.

Anyway, I've been learning the OS like crazy, and enjoy the forums and articles. Still following the excellent Precentral site. Just in case (ha ha).

Don't give up on the dream of a unified mobile ecosystem. It just may come in a different form than you expected.

I'm betting that by the time we see Windows Phone 8, we'll see some crazy integration with Windows 8, all the MS cloud services, and XBOX.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't give up on the dream of a unified mobile ecosystem. It just may come in a different form than you expected.

I'm betting that by the time we see Windows Phone 8, we'll see some crazy integration with Windows 8, all the MS cloud services, and XBOX.

Definitely! The rumor is that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 will be able to run the same apps, similar to how Android & iOS can run the same apps on tablet and smartphone. I'm extremely psyched to see what MS has in store for Windows 8 tablets. It looks to be the best of both worlds: touch-friendly tablet UI with app store, plus the ability to dock it and use it as a real full-blown PC.

Anyway, we will learn a whole lot more from the Microsoft BUILD conference starting September 13.

augustofretes

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Cons:
1) NOTIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hopefully this will be address)
2) IE (this thing sucks, I know it will be updated. I need this updated before the NFL starts though. There aren't any fantasy football apps, so I need use the phone's internet to control my fantasy football teams)
3) Search - (We need "just type")
4) Unified Email - (Mango, I think)
5) Closing of the apps. Pressing the back button 1000 times is not going to cut it.

1) Partially agreed.
2) I'm really sorry, but IE, specially IE9, is much better than the browser on WebOS 2.x, the HTML 5 support, for example, is pathetic (and so is on WP7 pre-Mango, but WebOS is based on Webkit, they've got no pretext, but poor coders).
3) Just type is good. But it isn't a clear win for WebOS, Bing on WP7 Mango supports things Just type doesn't and vice versa (Local Scout is amazing).
4) Mango actually uses a better approach, it's configurable.
5) You don't close apps on WP7 Mango (or WP7 pre-Mango for that matter). On Mango you merely keep back pressed to get into a card-like view of your most recent apps. These apps are not running in the same way they do on WebOS (thankfully, WebOS approach kills the battery for no reason), and you don't need to close them.

robjp1111

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone! Thanks to nyquistjack for starting this thread. I'm in the exact same situation - with no Pre3 coming, I decided to switch from Pre- to HTC Arrive, but I also am getting a TouchPad so I have something running WebOS (that's not antiquated). Before finding this thread I posted elsewhere for suggestions on apps I can use on both platforms, in particular that can share data somehow:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-general-discussion/180115.htm

Also still getting used to Live Tiles - anyone have suggestions for apps that actually have animated tiles vs just a static picture? I read somewhere that Flixter does something, but it hasn't changed yet for me...

Overall happy so far with Windows Phone - not the same experience, but not a bad one. For the most part simple & intuitive, like WebOS, and (from my limited experience with them) NOT like Android or iOS.

Last edited:

robjp1111

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
A couple more questions.
Beyond the pre-installed apps, which are you finding most useful?
I use Windows Live Mesh to sync favorites across my PCs - anyone know if this will be expanded to Windows Phone?

Res215dg

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
A couple more questions.
I use Windows Live Mesh to sync favorites across my PCs - anyone know if this will be expanded to Windows Phone?

Right off the bat

WPCentral App- so your favorite site is now mobile and easy access
Poynt- available on other platforms, great multi-use app
HTC Youtube- much better than Microsoft Youtube app (HTC Only)
Accuweather.com App with Live Tile support- Awesome for that feature alone
Seesmic- good for integrating your facebook and twitter into one app

robjp1111

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I've done some digging into task managers - Todoist, Remember the Milk, and Toodledo.
Todoist - best website, but lacking in app support and I can't get the mobile site to load.
RTM - I don't like the website or mobile site, but it does have apps
Toodledo - Don't like the webiste but mobile site is good and also appears to have good apps - in particular on WebOS Toodledo Tasks HD (only tasks app optimized for larger TouchPad screen) and on WP To-do Tasks List.
So, despite its (to me) unfortunate name, I think Toodledo comes out on top if you want to share tasks across TouchPad and Windows Phone.

As for password managers, brief research has not turned up anything compatible with both platforms. I will probably stick with SecuStore on WebOS, I love it and haven't seen anything comparable on Windows Phone yet, but I will keep digging. Maybe put a bug in developers ear to make a WP version, although may be hard transition since it's Java.

So far very happy with WP apps. Looking forward to testing CardStar the next time I go to CVS, and of course all the new Mango features. Another great service available on both WP and WebOS - TripIt (app is called TripThat on WebOS) - wonderful for organizing travel plans.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I've done some digging into task managers - Todoist, Remember the Milk, and Toodledo.
Todoist - best website, but lacking in app support and I can't get the mobile site to load.
RTM - I don't like the website or mobile site, but it does have apps
Toodledo - Don't like the webiste but mobile site is good and also appears to have good apps - in particular on WebOS Toodledo Tasks HD (only tasks app optimized for larger TouchPad screen) and on WP To-do Tasks List.
So, despite its (to me) unfortunate name, I think Toodledo comes out on top if you want to share tasks across TouchPad and Windows Phone.

As for password managers, brief research has not turned up anything compatible with both platforms. I will probably stick with SecuStore on WebOS, I love it and haven't seen anything comparable on Windows Phone yet, but I will keep digging. Maybe put a bug in developers ear to make a WP version, although may be hard transition since it's Java.

So far very happy with WP apps. Looking forward to testing CardStar the next time I go to CVS, and of course all the new Mango features. Another great service available on both WP and WebOS - TripIt (app is called TripThat on WebOS) - wonderful for organizing travel plans.

Toodledo is what I use too. I tried the trial versions of the apps on WP7 that support it, but both refused to work :( There is one that has 4 stars but no trial.

On webOS I use DONE! It's one of the most complete apps I've ever used. There is a beta version that supports full screen on the touchpad (its in Preware). Not sure if he updated the app cat version or not.

If you find a toodeldo app you like on wp7 can you let me know? Thanks!

I can't convince myself to buy Secustore. $15 is just crazy steep, even with my free $50 for apps from HP. It'd be one thing if the desktop app was worth a damn, but its worthless.

Again, if you find a password app on WP7 you like, I'd be interested to hear.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
A couple more questions.

HTC Flashlight...uses the LED for a flaslight. I do miss Jason's flashlight app that worked from the system pull down menu, but I just put the flashlight on the bottom right of my home page so its easy to find.

Check out the varied Marketplace apps. Some interesting ways of finding new apps (Marketplace Search, WP7Applist, and It hink there is a new one on the newsfeed just today)

I am using Wonderreader Free for RSS right now.

Wife and I are loving Spell It. FINALLY get to play scrabble against each other.

Facebook app is pretty decent

So far thats it actually. I am sort of getting a feel for the device still. with my pre I had a whole ritual with opening my various apps and would go through each one in turn to get caught up with me day. I don't really have that even close with the WP7 yet. I think I'll get there though.

sinister4g63

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Checking in! Picked up a Trophy and I love it! Did the 7720 RTM update and all I can say is wow! I miss webOS, but I am very happy with WP7. Especially after the Mango update.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

selcouth14

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm in purgatory here: I'm still rocking my launch day pre- (barely) yet I don't want to waste my upgrade on the Arrive with the possible influx of Mango goodness hitting within a month or so. Nor do I want to jump to Verizon since their 14 day return policy isn't enough and I absolutely refuse to go back to ATT or Tmo. In other words, I'm checking this site daily with lust and envy, hoping the pre- makes it another month...I know, cool story. I'll be joining you all pretty damn soon!

Last edited:

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in purgatory here: I'm still rocking my launch day pre- (barely) yet I don't want to waste my upgrade on the Arrive with the possible influx of Mango goodness hitting within a month or so. Nor do I want to jump to Verizon since their 14 day return policy isn't enough and I absolutely refuse to go back to ATT or Tmo. In other words, I'm checking this site daily with lust and envy, hoping the pre- makes it another month...I know, cool story. I'll be joining you all pretty damn soon!

Cool, the more the merrier!

FYI Sprint always announces new devices at their own special events (not at trade shows). And we usually don't get any leaked info very far in advance. But I'd be very surprised if they don't get a new Mango device in the next few months.

fernandez21

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just ordered a dell venue pro unlocked (on sale for $269 off contract!) I use an iPhone as my personal phone and the venue pro will replace my pre plus as my work phone. Looking forward to fully investing in windows phone, I tried an HTC surround for a couple weeks earlier in the year and really liked it, though I still preferred webos and didn't switch at the time. Also tried android for a couple of months replacing my iPhone 4 for my personal line and hated it, never again android..... never again.

dave

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying WP7 for a few days now on a Samsung Focus. I really want to like the OS, but it's just not doing it for me. I don't mind the app pausing, but the wait can be maddening. I also would like to see some more mainstream services on WP7 before I stuff my SIM back into it. The apps might be trivial for some, but I use things like LinkedIn, Spotify and multiple Google calendars on a daily basis. Perhaps Mango will bring extra goodies, but for now it's back to the Veer for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying WP7 for a few days now on a Samsung Focus. I really want to like the OS, but it's just not doing it for me. I don't mind the app pausing, but the wait can be maddening. I also would like to see some more mainstream services on WP7 before I stuff my SIM back into it. The apps might be trivial for some, but I use things like LinkedIn, Spotify and multiple Google calendars on a daily basis. Perhaps Mango will bring extra goodies, but for now it's back to the Veer for me.

Thankfully Mango has a fast app suspend/resume ability. It's almost instantaneous when you resume a suspended app, even 3D games. Mango also supports background audio streaming for 3rd party apps. Hopefully you will find it to be a nice improvement.

jeffydude#WP

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

Reminder: Spotify coming to Windows Phone 7 with Mango | WMPoweruser

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb