webOS Refugees - Meet Here

Windows Winner

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Count me in.

Owned the Palm Pre 2 for about 6 weeks. Brilliant OS, but kept freezing everyday, so I sadly had to give-up on it. Was hoping the HP Pre 3 would have all the bugs removed, but because HP have also given-up, I have now become a Windows Winner and looking forward to the release of the HTC Titan which is my next phone.

Such is life.

ceeskaz

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
webOS refugee waiting to make the switch once I see what Verizon has to offer in the next few months. Thanks for starting this thread. Pre+ on its last legs. Was not interested in the Pre3 because I wanted a webOS slab phone, but not gonna happen anytime soon. Oh well. Thanks for all the good info on this site and look forward to reading up on WP7 and how it will fit my life better than android and iOS. One concern that I haven't found an answer to yet, but I guess I have not looked hard enough, does the calendar sync w/multiple Google accounts like webOs does so easily??

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
One concern that I haven't found an answer to yet, but I guess I have not looked hard enough, does the calendar sync w/multiple Google accounts like webOs does so easily??
Mos def. When you set your email accounts in Settings, you can choose which calendars to show up on your phone, and each account has its own color.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the Trophy. I'm probably in the minority here. I will keep using my Pre+ for the free MHS for use with my TouchPad on camping trips and road trips. When I'm at work, I have to use a BB w/out a camera. And then the Trophy will be my primary phone. 3 frigging phones!! Heck until a free-tethering hack is created, I'll be carring 2 of the 3 phones at some point or another.

I'm a bit nervous about switching to WP7. I really enjoy webOS, and was considering the Pre 2, but with the unstable webOS device future, I was afraid to be locked into a Pre 2. WP7 seems to have a future.

And I use a 32gb Zune HD, so the WP7 naturally flows with that ecosystem.

Milksteak

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as many of you. Still have my Pre- and have been due for an upgrade for a long time. I switched from an iPhone to my Pre and have not regretted it one bit! Despite having several hardware malfunctions with my phone (can only do calls on speaker, screen flickers on/off all the time, battery life is non-existent), I've still held on to it. One, because I love WebOS and secondly because I want to make sure I get a good phone.

I was certain I was going to go Android when I upgraded and looked at the upcoming Samsung Galaxy 2 models. I bought my wife an Evo 4G (from a simple media phone) and thought the OS was pretty good. However, after seeing a ton of WP7 stuff, I'm certain to be moving here! To keep my upgrade available (just in case a WP7 miraculously DOES come to Sprint), I'm buying a 3 month old HTC Arrive from a buddy and will get Mango on it ASAP.

I appreciate threads like this since I feel very spoiled to have used WebOS and want to know all the things WP7 phones can do. I know no other will be exactly like it, but it seems WP7 will come very close. At least I still have my Touchpad to calm my fanboyism.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
^ great to hear! The nice thing about WP7 is that it runs smooth as silk even on those "old" 1st-gen Snapdragons. And, Mango actually runs even faster on the same hardware, and brings some other performance goodies (e.g. fast app switching, way faster web browser, etc).

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a Trophy last night off of ebay. Waiting anxiously to get it and start trying out WP7! Been on a Pre+ on Verizon for the past year so I'm looking forward to see how things compare to webOS.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
It's starting to look like I am switching back to my Pre - for the short term. I like the Arrive, but the keyboard is just so frustrating that I'd rather have a bigger screen and no keyboard. Hopefully something with a big screen and no keyboard will come to Sprint very soon.

I plan on swapping them this weekend. It will be nice to have webOS back...but I am SO not looking forward to the slowdowns, missed phone calls due to the phone hanging, short battery life and other negatives.

augustofretes

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
It's starting to look like I am switching back to my Pre - for the short term. I like the Arrive, but the keyboard is just so frustrating that I'd rather have a bigger screen and no keyboard. Hopefully something with a big screen and no keyboard will come to Sprint very soon.

The keyboard is frustrating? How can you even say this. The Pre keyboard is among the lowest quality less useful keyboards on the market, in fact, the virtual keyboard on WP7 blows away every keyboard ever available with WebOS o_O

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I plan on swapping them this weekend. It will be nice to have webOS back...but I am SO not looking forward to the slowdowns, missed phone calls due to the phone hanging, short battery life and other negatives.
Bummer! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the updated Omnia 7 comes to Sprint. I can't say I blame you for returning the Arrive. WP7 really doesnt need a hardware keyboard, and most apps dont support landscape mode anyway.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
The keyboard is frustrating? How can you even say this. The Pre keyboard is among the lowest quality less useful keyboards on the market, in fact, the virtual keyboard on WP7 blows away every keyboard ever available with WebOS o_O

I actually like the keyboard on the Pre but the quality of the keyboard isn't my gripe. WP7 simply wasn't built with a physical keyboard in mind. So its usage is just not effective. Webos was built around their being a keyboard, making its use more than just fronting (shortcuts, unlocking, very quick access to stuff). I've gone into it in great detail in other posts.

the fact that the WP7 virtual in is so good is why I want to get a wp7 device rethought a physical. Anywho...here's to hoping sprint gets something woo

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for a decently priced trophy. My pre+ just isn't cutting it anymore, and I don't want to use my upgrade then have new phones come to Verizon in a couple months. Wp7 looks to be a great replacement for webOS. I always hated the interface, but I actually used it the other day and its great. I'm just glad I tried wp7 before jumping to android. Thankfully, I still have my touchpad to get my webOS fix.

dot1ne

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Ouch, the title of the post hurts a bit. Good to see you folks in here. You might have heard of "Carbon" the twitter client for webOS, we've been actively working on the WP7 version for about Three months now and have released 5 iterations of our alpha version to beta testers.

If you loved Carbon on webOS then do check us out if you have a dev-unlocked phone and can side load apps. To get in the beta program all you gotta' do is email your Twitter handle to saleh[at]dotsandlines.com. We jus' opened 20 new spots.

augustofretes

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the keyboard on the Pre but the quality of the keyboard isn't my gripe. WP7 simply wasn't built with a physical keyboard in mind. So its usage is just not effective. Webos was built around their being a keyboard, making its use more than just fronting (shortcuts, unlocking, very quick access to stuff). I've gone into it in great detail in other posts.

the fact that the WP7 virtual in is so good is why I want to get a wp7 device rethought a physical. Anywho...here's to hoping sprint gets something woo

Oh, I see, I can agree then, even though the Pre keyboard is really bad, it was deeply integrated into the experience, the mere fact that typing on the WP7 home screen has no effect showcases this.

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Not quite a refugee yet but the clock is ticking. I was huge webOS fan and relatively early adopter. Not a launch day buyer but within three months I was a satisfied owner of a Pre- and spending way too much time at PreCentral.

The whole HP/Palm/webOS debacle has left a sour taste in my mouth and the cold stark reality that there will never be another Sprint webOS phone coupled with the inevitable effects of age on my Pre has me researching alternatives & I'm leaning heavily toward the HTC Arrive

Love the Pre portrait slider and physical keypad but the Oreo factor has begun to take its toll and some of the keys don't respond like they used to. I've gotten used to thumbnail typing but when I look up and realize eight words are strung together with dropped characters because the space bar and random letters didn't register it's a little frustrating.

She's a little slower than I'd like but I'm thinking cards, gestures, multitasking, and most of all "just type" may be too hard to live without even for a faster, slicker phone.

MS Office compatibility (even if it's a little limited at the moment) and Zune syncing are very appealing and while I enjoyed the mods and tweaks developed by webOS Internals and PreWare, I think I want something now that just works without the distraction of rooting and patching.

So, maybe it's time to move on but all the little things I love(d) about webOS and the Pre will make parting such sour sorrow.

But it's nice to know I'm not alone in my emotional attachment and the impending break-up between me and my Pre.

Last edited:

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Thought I'd post an update (cross posted from another post cause I am lazy)

I pulled the trigger last night. I will write-up an arrive to evo 3d comparrison after I've had some time with it. First impressions are as such:
The stock keyboard on the evo SUCKS TOTALL MONKEY SACK!!!! I miss the wp7 keyboard in a million billion ways. I am going to try some other kbs soon

Evo 3d (just evo from here on out) is quick. It's relatively smooth most of the time. But it lacks that otherworldly smoothness of WP7.

Wholly apps batman. There are a trillion of them. I like the app store better too. I felt like I could never find anything on the WP7.

Evo edges out WP7 on voice capabilities. It's more integrated and slightly more accurate

I miss Metro. I keep trying to swipe side to side for stuff, instead I have to search for buttons or hit that stupid context menu

It's still a novelty I am sure, but I like live wallpapers.

Evo crushes the lock screen of WP7 in just about every way.

Free Tethering!!! - Just in time for vacation

PANDORA - god I missed it

That's about all I have for now. I'll report back later after I've had some burn in time.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Not quite a refugee yet but the clock is ticking. I was huge webOS fan and relatively early adopter. Not a launch day buyer but within three months I was a satisfied owner of a Pre- and spending way too much time at PreCentral.

The whole HP/Palm/webOS debacle has left a sour taste in my mouth and the cold stark reality that there will never be another Sprint webOS phone coupled with the inevitable effects of age on my Pre has me researching alternatives & I'm leaning heavily toward the HTC Arrive

Love the Pre portrait slider and physical keypad but the Oreo factor has begun to take its toll and some of the keys don't respond like they used to. I've gotten used to thumbnail typing but when I look up and realize eight words are strung together with dropped characters because the space bar and random letters didn't register it's a little frustrating.

She's a little slower than I'd like but I'm thinking cards, gestures, multitasking, and most of all "just type" may be too hard to live without even for a faster, slicker phone.

MS Office compatibility (even if it's a little limited at the moment) and Zune syncing are very appealing and while I enjoyed the mods and tweaks developed by webOS Internals and PreWare, I think I want something now that just works without the distraction of rooting and patching.

So, maybe it's time to move on but all the little things I love(d) about webOS and the Pre will make parting such sour sorrow.

But it's nice to know I'm not alone in my emotional attachment and the impending break-up between me and my Pre.

Welcome. We all know exactly how you are feeling. After a month with Windows Phone 7 I have mixed feelings. I believe deep down that Windows Phone 9 and Windows 9 will be the holly grail. I think 8 is going to make great strides in that direction. You will definitely miss a lot of features from webOS, especially its seemless multitasking and notifications. But you can definitely adjust.

I just personally recommend waiting until the next batch of phones come out. Especially if you are with Sprint. The Arrive just didn't do it for me. Mostly because the physical keyboard was just int he way and the device was too narrow for my fingers for the awesome virtual keyboard.

Good luck, you are amongst friends!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
IDK, my 2 year contract w/ Sprint has been done since Aug... Was waiting to jump wherever the Pre 3 landed, then HP pulled the rug out from under me (us). My franken Pre 2 is holding up well, with exception to GPS problems which may be related to the comm board swap. I've always liked the Pre keyboards and in fact prefer a physical keyboard. I'm starting to open my mind to VKBs though, mainly due to larger screens and all the reviews of WP7's VKB.

My first thought on a future upgrade was to go to Android. It's not iOS and there is plenty of tweeks you can add on. BUT, I keep getting a bad feeling every time I pick up a demo unit in the stores. Something just feels off. Not sure how to say it, but the best I can come up with is, it feels thrown together. 1 of my friends went from webOS to Android, he likes some of the apps / features but has said that he kind of misses webOS. Another friend of mine works in IT and preaches Android all the way. Sometimes it feels like his life depends on me switching to Android. He said some things last night (Android vs. WP7) that just don't sound right. Edit: you can check the thread I started last night to read more about it... http://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?f=222&t=180597

So now I'm entertaining WP7. This forum has the familiar feel of Precentral's forum when it comes to having a passion for the OS. I like what I have seen so far, but have this unsettling feeling. You see, I tend to fall for stuff that doesn't last... Dreamcast, HD-DVD, webOS (could pull through, but I feel it won't). I've read that the app count is increasing on WP7, but will it keep going strong into the future? I'm also wishing I knew someone with a WP7 that I could mess with. Store demo's just don't give an accurate portrayal of how it feels in your hand (stupid security stuff all over it) and how it runs in the real world, syncing multiple email accounts, messaging and syncing with twitter, facebook, etc. Lastly, I think I want to go with Verizon (best signal strength in my area), they only have 1 WP7 to pick from. Are they getting more models when the next round of hardware comes around?

In the end, I think I will choose WP7 over Android and iOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Last edited:

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
My first thought on a future upgrade was to go to Android. It's not iOS and there is plenty of tweeks you can add on. BUT, I keep getting a bad feeling every time I pick up a demo unit in the stores. Something just feels off. Not sure how to say it, but the best I can come up with is, it feels thrown together. 1 of my friends went from webOS to Android, he likes some of the apps / features but has said that he kind of misses webOS. Another friend of mine works in IT and preaches Android all the way. Sometimes it feels like his life depends on me switching to Android. He said some things last night (Android vs. WP7) that just don't sound right.
That's exactly how I've always felt, and I think it's how a lot of WP and WebOS adopters here have felt about Android. I just couldn't put it into words as well as you just did. Android has always felt 'off' to me somehow. That's not to marginalize the people who prefer it, I just think the interface seems like it was designed by software engineers and not usability experts. You can tell that some serious user experience research went into both WebOS and WP7.

I think the majority of the people here feel confident in WP7's future and I don't believe you'll be getting yourself an orphaned OS if you go with it. I'm beginning to think that Microsoft's strategy is to not take on iOS and Android head on, but build up some momentum and start pushing at just the right moment. Instead of climbing over that big hill, I think they're going to skirt around it, if that makes any sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium