webOS Refugees - Meet Here

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
So far I really like the look and feel of WP7. I am also impressed with the amount of features that are packed into the core of this OS that other platforms rely on apps to implement. However, one feature that I seem to be missing or isn't present, is the ability to save images from the web browser. Is this possible or is it a shortcoming of the OS?

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Most pics you can save by tapping and holding until the selection box pops up. I've saved quite a few pics this way from the web. Using photocrop and photo enhance I even made my own tiles on the arrive to be used for my live tiles! All done on the arrive! Only have run into one image that wouldn't copy.

allen832008

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I know this is odd, anyone know of a good torrent remote app for Transmission for Ubuntu? Everything I have tried so far has been very spotty.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

webosisalive!

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to start a thread where we could gather to give each other tips, ideas and to commiserate together.

Precentral Name: nyquistJack
webosPhone: 2 Sprint Pre- (wife and I)
other webOS Devices: Touchpad and wifi only Pixi (for my son)

Windows 7: 2 Sprint HTC Arrives (wife and I)

PSA: Don't Hesitate , Install Mango
Noob frendly MANGO update - xda-developers
Plenty simple instructions, took about an hour.

For those still trying to figure out if Win7 is their future platform:
Feel free to ask me to compare anything between webOS and Windows 7. I've already posted several comparisons in this thread and I plan on aggregating them together at some point.

Good Posts that I've stumbled Upon
http://forums.windowscentral.com/marketplace-games/179607.htm
Mango Tips & Tricks - xda-developers (xda forum-Mango Tips and Tricks)

Current Windows Phone 7 Devices - Front Page Article
http://www.windowscentral.com/transitioning-windows-phones-device-roundup
webOS refugee here just switched from a veer to focus flash, likin it so far

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Switched from Pre Plus to a Titan 5 days ago now. I loved WebOS but the Pre had poor battery life, poor performance, and a few problems for my specific phone with keeping the time.

All in all, I am a million times happier with the Titan. The Pre really doesn't even compare with its few pros. I could not go back. I think I may even like WP7 more than WebOS already.

ght

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Got a Pre+ when VZW first launched it. I now have a Pre2 and a TouchPad. I L.O.V.E webOS, and even as good as WP7.5 is, it is nowhere near a suitable replacement for all the things I love about webOS.

Notifications: I need a unified notification center. I've had my Trophy for a week and I'm sick of scouring my phone to find out what that f'ing notification was. I'm also frustrated without a LED notification. I feel like I have to keep checking my phone every 30 seconds.

Instant Messaging: I really need to have Gtalk integrated into the messaging app. And where the heck is Office Communicator?

Sync: I prefer simple. I liked the USB drive method. Although, I do appreciate the wireless sync, as I've only had to use the Zune software once. I really want to be able to transfer documents, however. Skydrive client isn't really available for WinXP (my work computer).

Camera: Miles ahead of my Pre2.

WiFi Sleep: It sucks. If I'm away from 3G coverage (but have wifi) my phone is all but useless. I cannot comprehend why this isn't configurable.

Apps: I love that there are so many apps here.

Email: I am in love with 90% of WP email. The look, threaded messages, etc. I wish I could actually delete a Google email, though. Currently deleting only archives the server copy. Kind of mucks up my All Mail view in Gmail. I have a couple of email accounts that I rarely use, but would like to know if they have any new messages. I have to keep them pinned to the screen if I want to see new message status. Linking accounts is cool, but one of the swipe panels should be reserved for each individual account. So, if I have three accounts linked, the normal All, Unread, and Flagged panels would remain, but in addition, one panel for each of the three accounts. That would help me manage my needs in this regard much better.

Calendar/email integration: works like you'd expect a MS program to work. Everything works just as it does on my work laptop. Accepting/sending invites, etc. I do like the look of the webOS calendar better, though. WP7 does have a lovely agenda view, so that helps.

Basic controls / UI:

One volume control? Come on! ridiculous. Most games are too loud on "1", yet my ringer is barely audible at this level.

Turning Bluetooth or WiFi on and off requires a few steps, unless you download a 3rd party app and pin yet another tile to your home screen.

Lots of wasted (black) space on the home screen.

The metro UI, while beautiful in its simplicity and consistency, wastes a ton of screen real estate with the huge fonts on the panel headers. Makes my Trophy's usable screen no bigger than an iPhone for all purposes except browser/videos. This is painfully apparent in Twitter apps, where the space wasted on metro could be used to show another tweet or two, and the calendar, where 1/4 of the screen is wasted. I want functionality first, beauty second.

The theme colors all seem washed out. Too much pastel. For a phone with so much professional appeal, the cartoon-like color selection is a mystery.

Homebrew/customization: webOS has no comparison. I want access to my device and all the convenience that comes with that. And I mean convenient access - webOS Internals, Canuck Coding, and the other homebrewers/patchers are second to none in making webOS a custom build for every user.

The Marketplace search function is abysmal. Search for "twitter": Only half the Twitter apps show up, and half the apps that do show up have nothing to do with Twitter. Why? I thought MS had Bing! in their toolbox.

How the heck do you close the Zune music player?

Wish we could create shortcuts for the text assist.

Multitasking: WP7.5 is fine. That's not my gripe. I haven't really found a limitation that I can't live with.

Screen: This is my biggest gripe, as the beautiful screen on my Trophy will make it hard to live with my Pre2 again, should I abandon WP. (just kidding) :p

All that being said, here's some things I've never experienced before:

I haven't had to restart my phone for a week. That's right - no crashes, freezes, or other BS behavior that would require a restart of my webOS phone.

Fully functional, no questions asked, no special app to keep it running, spot-on GPS. F'ing love it.

OK, that's enough for now. (Did anyone actually read this whole thing?)

Last edited:

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys. I agree with everything in the post above. I just wish it were a little more configurable. What I really want is accent colors that aren't so bright.

Things I miss:

• Homebrew community/flexibility (I miss Jason, Rod, Sconix)
  • Just Type
  • Awesome account unification with multiple gmail calendars (seems half-assed in WP- people aren't going to suddenly stop using their gmail accounts, so Microsoft should at least make them usable on the phone instead of frustrating)
  • Ability to have more than 1 personal/work/other email account/phone number per contact
  • Notification light (why fumble with the phone and waste battery turning on the screen??)
  • Ability to close apps without having to back all the way out.

These are all things I can get used to, but make the phone more frustrating than it needs to be. There are some things WebOS did poorly, but some things it did awesomely... MS still has a bit to learn from it.

apRPhle

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Current webOS user here looking to make the switch to WP. Just wanted to say hi and that I look forward to being a part of this community. Happy New Year!

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
GH: yep, read the whole thing! Agree with lots.
Have to chuckle at back to back posts from different people where one fusses about the colors being too pastel and the next fusses about the colors being too bright.
Both bring up the point that with the multitude of colors these devices can display why are we so limited in our on board choices?

I really do hope that MS is listening to the suggestion box app and the uservoice site!

Welcome to WP 7!

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
hey everyone, just switched to focus flashi? flashs? flashes?, had everything webos. still do, boxes galore. touchstones mounted in all 5 vehicles, everywhere in the house. why the **** doesnt the battery move on this wp7? single tasking has me quite irritated at times, havent fully learned the correct process of actions to get things done as efficiently or quickly as with webos.i love my pre3 but was worried about breaking it at work, so its now my home phone.
i am happy i got the flash, it feels good in my hand, the s and the titan just felt weird, even weirder on the side of my head. phone calls from the touchpad felt more natural. i was gunna wait for the lumia line to drop, but seeing the specs, the focus is damn near the same. it works well. i like it. wish the cam was better, but i have a nice camera so .... yeah i may have to revisit that restocking fee depending on next week. i like it though i swear lol

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
"... touchstones mounted in all 5 vehicles, everywhere in the house."

I'm hoping someone can develop an inductive charging option for WP 7 devices. Would be great to great to keep using my touchstones. One saving grace is at least the cable fits!

"why the **** doesnt the battery move on this wp7? " if you are talking about the power indicator; that's one of the perks of WP7 - its not power hog! ENJOY!

"single tasking has me quite irritated at times" not sure what you are experiencing there. Ive been able to do several things at once withn my Arrive.

"havent fully learned the correct process of actions to get things done as efficiently or quickly as with webos" yeah, even after using mine for a few months, I'm still figuring some things out too, but probably if I delved more into the help sections and websites I'd come up to speed.

This forum is full of suggestions and helpful people. Welcome to WP7!

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
yeah this thing has liller battery life, and I am a 'power user'.
If the back plate wasn't metal it would be easy to hack the touchstone onto it, I am on the lookout for another back.
my only real complaint so far is the unified 'sharing' options. Being spoiled with webos, and always posting .imgs on forums, I still haven't found an easier way than to share w/email, copy the URL and post to the forum. From there I have to edit the URL to embed which is redonculious lol

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, another webos refugee here. My Pre- is dying and I am going to get a WP, I have my eye set on Nokia 710($260 new from rogers) but then I come accross the Dell venue pro. As a Pre user the slide out keyboard make it very interesting, can anyone tell me the pro and con about those 2?

The only thing I hate webos is no MSN messager, how is it on WP? I would assume it work flawlessly right?

Thanks

RafRol

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello folks!

I finally bit the bullet... :confused:

I have the same handle on PreCentral (WebOSNation). I have been with the Pre since day one back in '09. Back around Christmas time my Pre went on the fritz and I had to switch to my old dumb phone while I planned my next move (and hope for Sprint/Nokia to make an announcement). My fiance, God bless her, got me a Pixi as a surprise 2 months ago. I had enough of that. Just the day before yesterday, I bought an HTC Arrive on eBay. I'll be getting it this weekend on Saturday.

I joined WPCentral back on August 20th, after HP's debacle, to see what I can learn about Windows Phone, especially after hearing about Mango; but I wasn't ready to give up my beloved Pre. Well actually, I was ready to give up the Pre, I wasn't ready to give up webOS. The Pixi was so under-powerd that I couldn't do any multi-tasking. I actually have an unlocked Pre2, but I won't be giving AT&T my money (just because of their coverage where I live) and I don't want to convert it into a FrankenPre2. I'm hoping that maybe I'll put Open webOS on it in the future and toy with it on a pre-paid plan.

I'm looking forward to a device that not only works, but is also supported by it's developer/manufacturer. What I'm not looking forward to is the lack of Just Type, webOS style multi-tasking, and the form-factor; but after reading the threads here I know that the pros will outweigh the cons. Certainly iOS and Android in all of its flavors is not an option for me. I was tempted to consider a Blackberry due to the form factor, but then my better judgement got the best of me.

Ultimately what won me over was Microsoft's vision of an integrated ecosystem (the UI is the next best thing to webOS too). A vision that HP teased me with and ultimately cancelled before it ever got off the ground. I have an Xbox and will be upgrading to Windows 8 when it comes out, so the Arrive will have some advantages that other phones on Sprint will not have. :cool:

Well that's enough for now, I'll be posting my experience with the Arrive in a few weeks.

Take care,

Raf

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Pulled out my HP TouchPad because I haven't used it lately. Holy crap, it was like stepping into a time machine. The OS felt so outdated and underpowered. Maybe I've just gotten used to the smoothness of WP7 and iOS, but it was a quick reminder why the TouchPad wasn't ready for prime time.

Last edited:

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I hate webos is no MSN messager, how is it on WP? I would assume it work flawlessly right?

Thanks

When you sign in with your Windows Live ID, Messenger is built into the messaging hub. Set your status to available and you can message away. You can also seamlessly switch to text if that contact isn't available, and it all stays in the same thread. No multiple apps.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Just sold my TouchPad and accessories on eBay for more than I paid for them. My Pre3 is next to go after I pick up a Lumia 900. The new iPad fills my tablet needs.

I was following WP7 for a while until HP picked up webOS. That's the only reason it piqued my interest. After HP killed it, I drifted back this direction but hadn't found a phone I liked until the Lumia 900.

webOS was a good OS that was just crowded out of the market. In the end, there will be only two and they'll be the usual players: Microsoft and Apple. Sorry, Android, but your fragmentation will become an issue at some point. HP sold more discontinued TouchPads than all Android tablets combined. And HP will be back with a TouchPad for W8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)