webOS Refugees - Meet Here

RafRol

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Might I suggest dropping Sprint as well if you can. ;)
I would consider it if AT&T had good coverage in my area. The only other carrier with good coverage is Verizon, but Windows Phone on Verizon is the same boat as Sprint...

I really, really, want a Lumia! I'm hoping that this rumor of an LTE Windows Phone on Sprint is a Lumia. In the mean time, the Arrive should get me accustomed to Windows Phone and it's virtual keyboard.

Last edited:

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi, another webos refugee here. My Pre- is dying and I am going to get a WP, I have my eye set on Nokia 710($260 new from rogers) but then I come accross the Dell venue pro. As a Pre user the slide out keyboard make it very interesting, can anyone tell me the pro and con about those 2?

The only thing I hate webos is no MSN messager, how is it on WP? I would assume it work flawlessly right?

Thanks

Don't even think about the Dell Venue Pro...it isn't what it seems. As a former webOS user, I can imagine you are expecting the usefulness of a keyboard in webOS, but it isn't there. The WP7 OS is not optimized for a physical keyboard. As I understand, in many parts of the OS the keyboard does nothing, it doesn't search lists, there's no just type, I don't know of keys being programable for speed-dial (but someone else can comment on that).

Also, the Venue Pro has issues and will never have tethering etc.

Just get a slab phone and feel the pain that the rest of us feel who have lost "Just-type" and webOS. I like WP7, but simple phone/text/email tasks take MANY extra steps compared to just-type on webOS.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Amazingly, for all the time I have kicked around WP Central, I never noticed this thread. I loved my Pre Plus. I loved how it worked, the multi-tasking, the shortcuts, the portrait slider which has been my favorite form factor since I owned a Motorola Karma feature phone way back in the day, the "just type" function, the whole bit. I was going to wait on upgrading until WeBOS from HP had a good device on AT&T or Verizon. I really thought Big Red would get it after they grabbed the Pre 2. I was really irratated when HP bailed.

I spent a ton of time playing around with Android, iOS, and WP after that. (I had owned Blackberry before and my wife had stuck with it. Found it too stale and unenjoyable to use for my taste.) WP just won me over. The potential is near unlimited, and I like the pace Microsoft is working with it. They would rather do all their OS well than try to do everything all at once. So, they may be moving a little slow, but the WP community they are building will be very loyal due to the product being dependable.

I am very curious to how former WeBOS users think of the chances of our former smartphone of choice being open sourced. I think it is a complete pipedream, and that HP will have to come up with a different plan. Any thoughts?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Amazingly, for all the time I have kicked around WP Central, I never noticed this thread. I loved my Pre Plus. I loved how it worked, the multi-tasking, the shortcuts, the portrait slider which has been my favorite form factor since I owned a Motorola Karma feature phone way back in the day, the "just type" function, the whole bit. I was going to wait on upgrading until WeBOS from HP had a good device on AT&T or Verizon. I really thought Big Red would get it after they grabbed the Pre 2. I was really irratated when HP bailed.

I spent a ton of time playing around with Android, iOS, and WP after that. (I had owned Blackberry before and my wife had stuck with it. Found it too stale and unenjoyable to use for my taste.) WP just won me over. The potential is near unlimited, and I like the pace Microsoft is working with it. They would rather do all their OS well than try to do everything all at once. So, they may be moving a little slow, but the WP community they are building will be very loyal due to the product being dependable.

I am very curious to how former WeBOS users think of the chances of our former smartphone of choice being open sourced. I think it is a complete pipedream, and that HP will have to come up with a different plan. Any thoughts?

Just for the record, it's webOS.

I had a Sprint Pre since launch day and last fall went to an HTC EVO 3D after HP brought the ax down on webOS devices. Now I'm with WP7 and quite happy. You may not have seen the news, but HP is open sourcing webOS. It will be released in full open source glory later this year. HP is releasing parts of webOS each month into the open source pool.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just for the record, it's webOS.

I had a Sprint Pre since launch day and last fall went to an HTC EVO 3D after HP brought the ax down on webOS devices. Now I'm with WP7 and quite happy. You may not have seen the news, but HP is open sourcing webOS. It will be released in full open source glory later this year. HP is releasing parts of webOS each month into the open source pool.
Yes, I had heard. Mentioned it in my post.

I am not sure how it finds a home with open sourcing. There is a ton of competition in this mobile world, and devlopment takes a ton of money. That was the whole problem with webOS (spelled correctly. Not sure why I was spelling it wrong). HP saw the amount of resources that was going to have to go into supporting the software side of the OS and just couldn't bring themselves to commit.

Now, as a hardware company, I could still see HP getting on the tablet market and giving it a go, but without true backing from a software giant to get it off the ground who picks up the bill for the development of the OS? Google was in a position to use an OS to open the door to other money streams, so when they grabbed and developed Android they were in a position HP is not. Not to mention the Smartphone industry was just taking off- Google's timing was perfect.

I would love the idea that HP gets some interested parties, webOS is seen as a viable product, and that it ends up on some devices. But I actually see the attempt of open sourcing by HP as a way to get some improvements on the OS and increase it's value to sell off and recoupe it's investment. I just do not see an advantage for companies to develop it when ready-to-order OS's are out there, Intel is still working on tizen (maybe with Samsung and Bada, though I haven't heard anymore on that rumor), and BB10 may end up as an option as well if RIM needs a cash injection once it is out.

That why I asked. I am looking for some hope we might see another device again. Give me reason to hope.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I Like my Arrive, its been a better move for me than to Apple or Android - not that I've had either of those devices in my hand other than demo models. WP7 seemed more of a "natural" progression from the Palm Pre. But yes, there are a few things I do miss - but I have to remind myself that my Palm Pre was ebered, and hacked and overclocked, and home brewed unlike my Arrive, which remains stock with just additions of apps to suit me.

I would have preferred a portrait slider for quick one handed input, but the landscape slider works nicer for longer notes.

HP did us loyal palm users dirty. Will they win me back by open sourcing webOS? Maybe - unless Microsoft actually LISTENS to the user suggestions - for pete's sake with over 11,000 votes requesting to turn on the ability for custom alert sounds and tones - WHY are they not listening?

I miss my palm calendar. The WP7 calendar just doesn't cut it - if I was still using the phone to schedule my former service business, I'd end up going back to a paper organizer! We need a PROPER week at a glance as well as a readable Month view! I can zoom to view on so many other apps and pages - WHY NOT in calendar's MONTH view?

SO if HP offers full open source of webOS - will that mean new devices too? Or simply a rewrite/revamp of the OS on the old devices?

I love the Arrive's screen - - blows the Palm Pre out of the water! Like its crisp snap and strong hinge of the slider - no Palm Pre oreo effect. No creak and crunch of a plastic casing. Will open sourcing allow say, a purchase of an Arrive, then an install of webOS to use the Arrive's processor, screen and hardware? THAT would be my perfect device!

If open sourcing means HP creates a new device to utilize webOS - NO! I will NOT shuck out any more money to HP! I'll stick with WP7 Thank you very much!

9520G

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ive made the switch to windows phone since last april, its nice to see alot of the webos guys in here, its not as good but to me its the closest thing, plus im really enjoying having solid hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans