Multiple email accounts question

ggabriele3

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that lots of people have this situation - over the years i've bounced around through email addresses and things have gotten a little fragmented.

I have my old Hotmail account, which I fleshed out (profile & connections) for my new windows phone.
I have my Gmail account, which is my primary email and my XBOX account email.
Email, Calendars, and Contacts are in Gmail.
Any email I receive at my Hotmail account are auto-forwarded to my Gmail.

I would prefer to have one email account across all services.

I am thinking of creating a new Windows Live ID with my Gmail account, filling out the profile & connecting facebook/etc, and removing my Hotmail ID from the phone entirely.

Is there any reason not to do this?

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The main thing is to have the account you sign into the phone with be the same id as your Xbox and Zune account so that all your services tie together, your calendar, your SkyDrive, your Xbox avatar, your Zune account, and marketplace account. Getting things straitened out if you have different Zune and Xbox ids can take some doing. I don't even recall the details, but I know I ran into issues back when I got my original focus. Right now I have a windows live id I use to sign into the phone, xbox, and Zune. I have my Gmail (2 actually, one for work and one personal) that I use for email and calendaring . I link the live mail and personal Gmail inboxes. And remember with the advent of windows 8 you'll use the live id to sign into it as well.

ggabriele3

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
The main thing is to have the account you sign into the phone with be the same id as your Xbox and Zune account so that all your services tie together, your calendar, your SkyDrive, your Xbox avatar, your Zune account, and marketplace account. Getting things straitened out if you have different Zune and Xbox ids can take some doing. I don't even recall the details, but I know I ran into issues back when I got my original focus. Right now I have a windows live id I use to sign into the phone, xbox, and Zune. I have my Gmail (2 actually, one for work and one personal) that I use for email and calendaring . I link the live mail and personal Gmail inboxes. And remember with the advent of windows 8 you'll use the live id to sign into it as well.

Well, my gmail is already my XBOX email address.
Since I can use a non-hotmail account to create a live ID, could i just create a new Live ID with my Gmail account, link all my social/marketplace/zune accounts to that new one, and be set?

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, my gmail is already my XBOX email address.
Since I can use a non-hotmail account to create a live ID, could i just create a new Live ID with my Gmail account, link all my social/marketplace/zune accounts to that new one, and be set?
I believe that would work. Where we got into "trouble" was we had a gmail account for our zune pass and a different id on our xbox, which was reqllynused by my son. Involved a whole shell game of new emails for avatars and then ran into some problem with microsoft billing not updating all the pieces, spent a lot of time with support over it as even they couldn't figure it all out. So if you can use your xbox id for it all I think that would be the best bet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte