This is a workaround I came across on Neowin and originally from MS answers. If you created a new @outlook account with your old @hotmail name to reserve it because you didnt know about aliases this should fix that. I just did this within the last hour and it worked. Basically what it does is allows you to delete your new @outlook account which can then be added as an alias to your old @hotmail account and from there you can rename it. Here are the instructions, any questions please ask.

"I've found a solution.

Please be sure to create testing account to verify below steps before applying to your real account.
    Assumptions: you have both account@hotmail and account@outlook email accounts, and account@outlook was NOT previously made as alias and deleted

Description: to free the @outlook email account, you can rename ("Update email address") it to another email address (e.g. @gmail), and then close the updated email account. But it seems to be a bug in MS email service, not sure when it will be fixed.

Step 1. <gmail> apply for accountXXX@gmail in gmail (or other email supplier)

Step 2. <outlook> Login account@outlook, click "your name" at top-right of the browser, and choose "account settings", and then click "Update email address", and change your email account to accountXXX@gmail

Step 3. <gmail> in gmail, open the new verification email, click the url, and login your outlook using accountXXX@gmail account

Step 4. <outlook> It will prompt that you are ready to use your new account. DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW, AND DO NOT LOGIN AGAIN. You will find your name at top-right of the browser, click your name and choose "Account settings", and "close account" immediately.
    NOTE: if you login again after verifying accountXXX@gmail, the old account@outlook will be made as alias of accountXXX@gmail, and previous work will be wasted.

Step 5. <outlook> login account@hotmail, click the gear icon and choose "more mail settings". And then, click "Create a outlook alias" (keep @hotmail as login account) or "Rename your email address" (use @outlook as login account afterwards, and @hotmail will be made alias), you will find that account@outlook can be used.

Step 6. <gmail> terminate accountXXX@gmail account in gmail, and do not waste google resources...

Please to noted, when I used testing accounts to verify previous steps, I failed in the following 2 cases
    1. account@outlook was previously deleted as alias, due to previous solution to wait 30 days to free alias...
    2. In Step 4, logged in again, and account@outlook was made as alias after login... I'm not sure if making the @outlook the login address and start all over again from step 1 would help or not. [NOTE: to change @outlook from alias to login address, it has to be deleted from the alias list, and "rename" accountXXX@gmail to the deleted @outlook name.]"

Did you make a new Outlook.com account, only to then discover aliases? - Neowin Forums

Original source: I created a new Outlook.com email address instead of renaming - Microsoft Answers

Instructions for renaming your account to an existing alias: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-part-2-143913
    08-20-2012 11:58 AM
    I tired this but it didn't work for me.

I am trying to rename my current windows account to a new outlook one I created.
    09-21-2012 11:08 AM
    Which part did you get to? Quite possible MS fixed this loophole, if it was a bug.
    09-21-2012 04:42 PM
    This one thing is causing so much grief with me in my digital life.

Here is my story (same issue):
    What is best way to transfer over accounts? - Microsoft Community

Or transfer over my 25gb SkyDrive, which on the FAQ MS says they will not. Ugh...

This better get fixed before W8 and WP8 comes out.
    Last edited by CJ Thunder; 10-10-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    10-10-2012 01:52 PM
    I just want to say it sucks that I cant rename my live ID to my Outlook one. They are both registered to me. I don't what to have to wait a year, and the chance of losing it.
    5tephen likes this.
    10-19-2012 03:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD