changing microsoft account email

MikaelSmoot

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
in outlook.com under settings it let u create a new email address for your microsoft account
would your current outlook address then be available for others to take?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
in outlook.com under settings it let u create a new email address for your microsoft account
would your current outlook address then be available for others to take?

No. It is supposed to convert it to an alias.

The answer is in part of this reply:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...aming-to/c7a9e182-9a6e-4e5a-82e4-a557cd6c1015

Renaming your account causes your sign in name to change from your existing @hotmail.com address to your new @outlook.com address. Your existing address becomes an alias of your new account so that mail delivery is uninterrupted. After renaming your account you will sign in with your new account to all services you previously accessed with your old account.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, any thoughts on this related question? : Having used my @hotmail account since 2003, it is my primary- if a little clogged- personal email client. When the new outlook launched earlier in the year, I got my alias set up but have had no cause to use it. I understand that there is no need to switch at all to @Outlook as my primary if I don't have to, but If i were (for instance) to do that today, how would it affect my migration to a new WP8 device...? Would my current WP7.5 handset stop responding to my now 'defunct' @hotmail address of old? Would i lose my app purchase/store functionality from the initial WP7 set up 2 years back?

I (think I) understand how the alias concept works as described previously, but i recall mention of how this may be an important consideration with NEW handsets and how one sets them up out of the box...

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
You really should use a primary windows account for all of your devices, phone, pc, tablet, xbox, and so on.

If you switch your primary microsoft account, you will need to do a complete reset on your phone for everything to work properly...I have done this twice. This wipes your phone and you have to start from scratch. On the initial setup, you will use your new microsoft account (outlook email). You will need to install all of your apps, music, settings, everything, all over again.

Currently, when you get a new windows phone, you will have to do the same thing (set the phone up from scratch), as thre is not a backup/install feature. So if you plan on getting new phone soon, I would just wait to rename your account then.

If you are just renaming your microsoft account, then all your apps, contacts, calendar, and skydrive, go to the new account, as you just renamed it.

If you are moving do a different microsoft account completly, there is a little more to do to get your purchases transfered over, and requires an xbox 360.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for that. So for all potential new WP8 owners like myself, we will face the prospect of (manually) having to install all our previously purchased apps..much like in the event of any hard reset? I have used the re-installer app on a previous occasion, which does most of the work thankfully but, I'm concerned about what email I should set my new handset up with... got some thinking to do by the looks of it!

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So i too have a decade old hotmail account that gets way too much junk mail from previous site signups.

I'd like to create a new email/MS account that's clean. The only thing I have linked to my outlook is 2 Win8 preview VMs, and my xbox live.

I'm probably buying a lumia 920 tonight, prior to getting home to my xbox

So does it make sense that i can:

1. Create a new MS account now, with a new live/outlook/hotmail address

2. Buy the lumia and set it up with that new account at the store.

3. Get home and link xbox live to the new address.

Or would i have to wipe the phone after updating the xbox?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
So i too have a decade old hotmail account that gets way too much junk mail from previous site signups.

I'd like to create a new email/MS account that's clean. The only thing I have linked to my outlook is 2 Win8 preview VMs, and my xbox live.

I'm probably buying a lumia 920 tonight, prior to getting home to my xbox

So does it make sense that i can:

1. Create a new MS account now, with a new live/outlook/hotmail address

2. Buy the lumia and set it up with that new account at the store.

3. Get home and link xbox live to the new address.

Or would i have to wipe the phone after updating the xbox?

I would not think you would have to wipe the phone. Think of it like this...Let's say you have a WP today and for christmas you get a XBox...you shouldn't have to hard reset your phone just because you got an XBox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786