Gmail or Outlook

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Personally I use Gmail for every website that sends me newsletters... that way my outlook account has only the stuff I care about. That's how much I love Gmail...

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Gmail is still my primary account for personal email, contacts, calendar and Google Voice. I'm a BlackBerry user and Gmail works seamless with my BB. I do like Outlook and plan on using it more but the way it handles junk/spam is terrible. I have it on my PlayBook and I get way too much junk/spam. Gmail does a much better job.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

john_v

Oct 15, 2006
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
I used Gmail since the Beta Invite days, so I had lots of accounts, etc, set up with it. I've also had a hotmail addy for quite some time but really never used it. The day outlook.com launched, I set up an identical outlook.com address as my gmail and I'm slowly moving everything over to it. The less free info I give to google the better.

I do like how the outlook.com integrates with Outlook on my laptop.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
No matter what, they are both good (hotmail and outlook, not gmail). New user? Go for outlook. On hotmail and want to switch to outlook? Don't, it will just be stressful, while they are the same thing.

Wonderful advice. I made the "upgrade" switch from Hotmail to Outlook, and have regretted it every second since. Going to see if there is someway to switch back. I miss Hotmails tools and the way it worked. My Outlook has never played well with my Skydrive or my other accounts I set up. If I can't, I may just try a new user address and import everything to it when I get a new WP. For everyone else who loves the new Outlook, I just haven't had any luck. Probably means I just messed up, but it is too late now.

As for GMail, most of my kids friends LOVE it. I am glad WP synches well to it, because MS is in an uphill fight to get people off of other emails to give Outlook a shot. Most of my Upper-thirties to mid-forties friends all use Yahoo still. I am the only one in my circle who is a Hotmail/Outlook user.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Yahoo? Oh well...

You certainly had no luck. My outlook works flawlessly with my SkyDrive and I don't know what you could have done wrong.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I want to see Outlook.com clients that support aliases before I fully transition to it. Fantastic feature but kind of stupid that Microsoft's own phone OS doesn't recognise it.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Can I ask a question...why does Microsoft have so many email services? I was under the impression Hotmail was being rebranded as Outlook. But it seems to be two services running at the same time. Or am mistaken?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Two things I would love to see in Outlook, now that I'm using it all the time:

1) Aliases should be able to used from more than just outlook.com. Using the mail app on Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 I am not able to send from my aliases, even if replying to an email that was sent to one. Apparently now they have the ability to specify an alias that you can use as the default for all devices, including mobile... but then I can't reply using my primary.

2) Allow more than one criteria in the "rules" (filters)! My dad forwards chain mail jokes and such to me all the time, and I have a filter set up to catch anything that says FWD: in the title (and another filter to catch FW:) and place it in a folder for later perusing, so I can avoid stuff like that for months at a time. Since I can only specify that ONE thing, any email I forward to myself or someone else forwards to me ALSO ends up in that folder (this includes forwarding of flight itineraries and such), so I have to manually search it myself from time to time. On my Windows Phone, I don't see any messages that go into this folder at all... and I refuse to choose to sync that folder because then I'll start getting alerts for messages in that folder! No thank you. So I'm forced to manually check this folder at outlook.com every so often.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
For almost a year, Gmail is my junk mail, BS on the web, don't really give a dang, email host. I WON'T EVEN INSTALL GOOGLE CHROME on any of my computers. Outlook is my baby. It does everything well and it looks good.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a Gmail account that is unlinked to my standard Live account - it stands alone. I've just created an outlook account that is more or less just an alias from my master Live account and I've chosen the outlook alias as my primary address. I'm transitioning all my contact info from various sites from gmail to outlook, and eventually I'll just shut down gmail entirely.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a Gmail account for Google Voice which I use for my business, so I just have Gmail forwarded to my main Outlook account.

I also use Live Domains for my business domain email and calendar which works flawlessly with Outlook 2010, Outlook.com and my Lumia 920. Google Apps . . . not so much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire