Gmail or Outlook

Cornbean7077

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have. I used to be an android lover before I switched, and now all I use is outlook. I also think the interface for the outlook website is gorgeous.

Winphoner

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've invested too much into gmail, and really like all I get out of it. I was worried when I switched to WP that I'd have to switch over, but honestly, everything's been working smoothly. I like the outlook interface, but not enough to get me to switch. No real issues though, so far

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have. It's a slow process though getting everything moved over, so I still need the gmail account around. I've got some aliases to help with the lessons learned from gmail.

I am very impressed with not getting any junk mail yet!!! I've had my outlook account since the day outlook.com was opened to the public. Nothing in the junk mail folder at all! On gmail, my junk mail would start filling up a few minutes after opening the account (nobody had it!), and to this day I still get a lot there. No idea how Microsoft did it.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I set Outlook up to pull remaining Gmails from my old account for those few people who haven't changed my address to my live.com account from two years ago.

Best move I ever made.

No longer is my private data being scraped and resold to advertisers. And Outlook.com is smooth, fast, and powerful. It also works much better with Windows Phone devices than Gmail.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I am currently using gmail because I have so much tied up into my gmail account at the moment. I have an live/outlook account as well that I am slowly migrating stuff over too.

I really would like to get away from Google's products considering all the data mining they do. I know no company is saintly but at the moment MS is the lesser of the two evils.

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I made the switch with the wp8 phone. I guess I had been moving away from google for a while. Used the opportunity to move from @hotmail to @outlook though.

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I toyed with the idea when I got my Lumia 900 but didn't make the plunge until I got my Lumia 920. I haven't made a direct transition, though. I backed up my 10+ years old archive using MailStore Home, changed gmail to a forwarding address and then started using outlook.com for email. From a Windows Phone perspective, I see no difference really. Outlook is a better interface than gmail however. I hope for a return of "hotmail plus" so I can pay to remove ads.

What's the allowed space for an outlook email account? Is it possible to import several gigs of old email?

nzrocketman

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
i find that outlook still doesn't clear my gmail account properly. maybe only 30% of messages get through, and when i send email from outlook through my gmail it puts sent on behalf which i find unprofessional.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
No, mainly because as far as I can tell outlook does not offer appointment slots in the diary - that is of marginal interest to the rest of you but a real benefit to me.
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't you get the same features in hotmail as you get in outlook (domain)? You can get the outlook interface for your hotmail account, and it works with my windows phone. So why switch domains if it is just the name?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't you get the same features in hotmail as you get in outlook (domain)? You can get the outlook interface for your hotmail account, and it works with my windows phone. So why switch domains if it is just the name?
That's why I never changed my account. I've had a hotmail account for eons.

I still mainly use Gmail, except for Microsoft stuff.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I never really liked gmail. My university uses it and I always thought it was ugly.
I never noticed any difference, but I don't use webmail. I've always used a mail client. I've had Outlook for many years, but now I'm trying Windows 8 Mail. I also use Evolution for Linux.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I switched to live mail when I got the 920. I am going to keep the email on live.com, but I may go back to gmail for the calendar. I can not find a decent free way to sync Outlook and live calendars. Google offers free software to sync, and it is a real shame that Google interfaces with Microsoft Outlook better than Microsoft.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Outlook.com and Hotmail/Live all support activesync...for free. Set up your email as though it is "Exchange" and it'll work perfectly.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
No matter what, they are both good (hotmail and outlook, not gmail). New user? Go for outlook. On hotmail and want to switch to outlook? Don't, it will just be stressful, while they are the same thing.

blends

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I switched before the launch of windows phone 7. I've had my hotmail account for years and only created my Gmail account when I got a Palm Pre years ago. I abandoned the Pre for a few Android phones and hated the way Gmail would randomly move emails into folders and the whole "labels" thing. Switching back to hotmail was a breath of fresh air. Years of dormancy without much spam is impressive. My Gmail calendar works flawlessly in outlook (both online and the desktop app). The mail app in windows 8 is okay. I still prefer Outlook but it's growing on me. MS should make a real push to get old hotmail users to switch back. It is very efficient for me and functions much better than Gmail imo. The free office web apps is a huge selling point as well as the SkyDrive tie-in.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I made the switch recently upon getting my new phone. It works so smoothly with my desktop outlook and the WP8 system, that I am glad I made the switch. I had no real problem with the functionality of gmail, but I hated how hard it was to sync calendar and contacts between my desktop outlook and my android phone. In addition, Google's privacy issues had me very concerned. I did set up my gmail to forward to my outlook and I continue to use it for blog and podcast feeds which get sent to my phone via the next gen reader app. I would prefer to subscribe to them via outlook.com which would allow me to ditch gmail completely down the road, but I haven't found a good solution yet for that.

Bottom line, the switch is not really hard at all. You can even set up outlook.com to import your contacts and calendar from gmail.com, which makes it easier still.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb