12-12-2012 02:01 PM
145 1234 ...
tools
    I'm talking about companies that botch launches and miscalculate demand.
    11-20-2012 10:30 AM
    Such doom and gloom.

If another device has shortages, it must be because of demand. Thus, it spells impending doom for WP.

If WP has shortages, it's because of an inability to compete, thus spelling impending doom.
    HeyCori and 12Danny123 like this.
    11-20-2012 10:31 AM
    Difference between WP and other devices (Ithing, SG), people are willing to wait for them.
    11-20-2012 10:35 AM
    And who says people won't wait for Windows Phone?

I wasn't aware that "people" was a monolithic being that broadcasted its every whim and intention.

The fact is that we don't know what will happen. We can make a judgment after the fact.

Predictions, when stated like a fact, of future doom and gloom shows more about the predictor's personality than it does on reality.
    Laura Knotek, ryzama and mister2d like this.
    11-20-2012 10:40 AM
    It won't matter if come earnings time Nokia says they sold all the 920s they could make. Investors will ask why couldn't you make more.
    Nokia does not have sufficient cash to pay companies like Foxconn to dedicate several factories specifically for manufacturing the 920. Apple and Samsung have that kind of cash, but none of the other OEMs do.
    11-20-2012 10:42 AM
    thus they will always be small fry.
    11-20-2012 10:46 AM
    LoL.

Sure Nostradamus.
    11-20-2012 10:48 AM
    thus they will always be small fry.
    Nokia needs to rebuild. Once it starts selling more devices it will be able to expand capacity. Expansion costs money.

It is also better to sell out of what is made, rather than have excess inventory sitting around in a warehouse. RIM learned that lesson with the Playbook tablet. The Playbook tablets are still sitting around in warehouses even though RIM marked them down and took a write-off for the excess inventory.
    11-20-2012 10:54 AM
    I wonder if OP is more worried about his stock prices than anything else.

Anyway, in terms of MS, Sinofsky may have been part of the problem. We won't know for sure at the moment, but a lot of talk is coming out that his style of running things wasn't exactly the greatest and most efficient.

Nokia shut down it's local factories (the last Finland based one was shut down in the summer) so I'm sure moving the production processes elsewhere takes some time and can't be done overnight.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-20-2012 11:15 AM
    no I'm concerned about the survival of Windows Phone. MS won't keep pumping money into a loser forever. Just because it worked for Xbox does NOT mean they will do it for WP.
    11-20-2012 11:18 AM
    no I'm concerned about the survival of Windows Phone. MS won't keep pumping money into a loser forever. Just because it worked for Xbox does NOT mean they will do it for WP.
    How do we know that?

If Microsoft abandons mobile, it might as well go out of business.

Mobile is the future, not desktop PCs. Microsoft has to stay with mobile if it wishes to stay in business ten years from now.
    11-20-2012 11:46 AM
    WP8 is completely new and it just came out. Give it some time.
    11-20-2012 12:14 PM
    that could have been from two years ago...."WP7 is new give it time"

did that....MS dropped us like a hot potato.

if we are saying two years from now "WP9 is new, give it some time" it is time to hang up the gloves and just stop.
    11-20-2012 12:26 PM
    dude. you really need to stop complaining so much. MS will make sure Wp8 doesn't fail. at all. they know that
    11B1P likes this.
    11-20-2012 12:35 PM
    that could have been from two years ago...."WP7 is new give it time"

did that....MS dropped us like a hot potato.

if we are saying two years from now "WP9 is new, give it some time" it is time to hang up the gloves and just stop.
    If you can't understand the reasoning behind why Microsoft scrapped WP7 for WP8, and how that decision is much better for them as a whole, then it will be hard to find some common ground.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-20-2012 12:37 PM
    Such doom and gloom.

If another device has shortages, it must be because of demand. Thus, it spells impending doom for WP.

If WP has shortages, it's because of an inability to compete, thus spelling impending doom.
    Yes it does sound like that, but if I take an example from here in Canada... Rogers was not able to get more than 5 devices per day the first week and it was only available at Rogers Plus (which means that 90% of ordinary Rogers stores didn't have any the first week) They were also unable to get it on launch date due to late delivery from Nokia. When I asked the salesman at Rogers Plus he told me, "We called Rogers and Nokia are slowly increasing deliveries, but expect 2 weeks before we get more" For about 1 week they had 5 devices per day! This is very low... The next week some other stores had it, but none of them had sufficient stock...

It's not a shortage due to high demand... I wish it was... but Nokia failed to deliver. I understand that their ability to produce a large number of devices is lower than before... But they created a lot of noise for a company that failed to produce enough phones...

But is Microsoft to blame? No... I can't see how Microsoft would be to blame in this... in fact they gave Nokia enough time to get ready...
    11-20-2012 12:47 PM
    If you can't understand the reasoning behind why Microsoft scrapped WP7 for WP8, and how that decision is much better for them as a whole, then it will be hard to find some common ground.
    WP7 had no future with all it's limitations... it made me angry at first... but it was smart to leave it behind
    11-20-2012 12:49 PM
    no I'm pretty certain that if WP7 had caught on they wouldn't have changed direction midcourse and dumped WP7 users so hard.

That is off topic though...we are in the present now. Microsoft botched hardware makers by making them wait for RTM, then making WP8 release after W8 as a footnote.

You NEVER EVER go into a black friday weekend with no product. EVER.
    11-20-2012 12:49 PM
    no I'm pretty certain that if WP7 had caught on they wouldn't have changed direction midcourse and dumped WP7 users so hard.
    Wasn't it impossible to upgrade to WP8 from WP7?
    It is sad that Microsoft did this, but understandable.
    11-20-2012 12:52 PM
    it isn't impossible, just they wont do it. ....again off topic.
    11-20-2012 12:58 PM
    I understand what you are trying to say...
    The only thing that bugs me is that Nokia is silent... no big numbers, no reasons, just silence... At least when the iPhone is backordered they say, "The demand is so high that we cannot produce that much phones, give us time"
    But again if the numbers aren't so high and Nokia cannot produce enough phones then it would be a huge failure for a once #1 phone maker... I guess we'll have to wait for Nokia to give us the reason why..
    11-20-2012 12:59 PM
    Nevermind. There is no point in commenting. Reply Deleted.
    Lol. Well played. There is no talking sense with this latest group of misfits that have invaded these boards.
    11-20-2012 01:01 PM
    Keep in mind that there are other countries beside the US. "Black Friday" is a US phenomenon. The rest of the world doesn't care if Americans go crazy shopping the day after a holiday not observed in their countries.

Nokia has to supply devices to countries other than the US.
    11-20-2012 01:03 PM
    Keep in mind that there are other countries beside the US. "Black Friday" is a US phenomenon. The rest of the world doesn't care if Americans go crazy shopping the day after a holiday not observed in their countries.

True hahaha
    But it would be smart for Nokia and WP8 to get some good numbers in the US on that day
    It would give them a lot more visibility in the US which is a big market.
    11-20-2012 01:05 PM

agree. Black Friday in other countries is useless outside USA. We sometimes wait for boxing day
    11-20-2012 01:12 PM
145 1234 ...