Nokia and Microsoft really f-ing blew it.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Such doom and gloom.

If another device has shortages, it must be because of demand. Thus, it spells impending doom for WP.

If WP has shortages, it's because of an inability to compete, thus spelling impending doom.

Yes it does sound like that, but if I take an example from here in Canada... Rogers was not able to get more than 5 devices per day the first week and it was only available at Rogers Plus (which means that 90% of ordinary Rogers stores didn't have any the first week) They were also unable to get it on launch date due to late delivery from Nokia. When I asked the salesman at Rogers Plus he told me, "We called Rogers and Nokia are slowly increasing deliveries, but expect 2 weeks before we get more" For about 1 week they had 5 devices per day! This is very low... The next week some other stores had it, but none of them had sufficient stock...

It's not a shortage due to high demand... I wish it was... but Nokia failed to deliver. I understand that their ability to produce a large number of devices is lower than before... But they created a lot of noise for a company that failed to produce enough phones...

But is Microsoft to blame? No... I can't see how Microsoft would be to blame in this... in fact they gave Nokia enough time to get ready...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
If you can't understand the reasoning behind why Microsoft scrapped WP7 for WP8, and how that decision is much better for them as a whole, then it will be hard to find some common ground.

WP7 had no future with all it's limitations... it made me angry at first... but it was smart to leave it behind

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no I'm pretty certain that if WP7 had caught on they wouldn't have changed direction midcourse and dumped WP7 users so hard.

That is off topic though...we are in the present now. Microsoft botched hardware makers by making them wait for RTM, then making WP8 release after W8 as a footnote.

You NEVER EVER go into a black friday weekend with no product. EVER.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

I understand what you are trying to say...
The only thing that bugs me is that Nokia is silent... no big numbers, no reasons, just silence... At least when the iPhone is backordered they say, "The demand is so high that we cannot produce that much phones, give us time"
But again if the numbers aren't so high and Nokia cannot produce enough phones then it would be a huge failure for a once #1 phone maker... I guess we'll have to wait for Nokia to give us the reason why..

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that there are other countries beside the US. "Black Friday" is a US phenomenon. The rest of the world doesn't care if Americans go crazy shopping the day after a holiday not observed in their countries.

Nokia has to supply devices to countries other than the US.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that there are other countries beside the US. "Black Friday" is a US phenomenon. The rest of the world doesn't care if Americans go crazy shopping the day after a holiday not observed in their countries.

True hahaha
But it would be smart for Nokia and WP8 to get some good numbers in the US on that day
It would give them a lot more visibility in the US which is a big market.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

agree. Black Friday in other countries is useless outside USA. We sometimes wait for boxing day

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you are trying to say...
The only thing that bugs me is that Nokia is silent... no big numbers, no reasons, just silence... At least when the iPhone is backordered they say, "The demand is so high that we cannot produce that much phones, give us time"
But again if the numbers aren't so high and Nokia cannot produce enough phones then it would be a huge failure for a once #1 phone maker... I guess we'll have to wait for Nokia to give us the reason why..

Exactly. The real issue is the complete silence from all the major players involved with the launch of WP8.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
no I'm pretty certain that if WP7 had caught on they wouldn't have changed direction midcourse and dumped WP7 users so hard.

That is off topic though...we are in the present now. Microsoft botched hardware makers by making them wait for RTM, then making WP8 release after W8 as a footnote.

You're still saying this and it's STILL wrong. WP8 went RTM in mid-Sept, well over a month before the release of the 920. It's Nokia's fault for not building enough supply. However, you don't seem apt to change your opinion when confronted with facts so keep on spreading FUD.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
True hahaha
But it would be smart for Nokia and WP8 to get some good numbers in the US on that day
It would give them a lot more visibility in the US which is a big market.

But rest of the world is still a bigger market :p Europe alone is bigger and I'm pretty sure Asia is too.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree. It's very annoying that people think USA. Is the only country in the world. typical people

'MERICA

american-mustache.jpg

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree. It's very annoying that people think USA. Is the only country in the world. typical people
I am Canadian.... but when it comes to buy random stuff on a particular day... the US is quite unbeatable... The OP's intention is simple... There should be enough stock every time there is a day like Black Friday, not only in the US. At least it's what I understood.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

No one said that Nokia should only be supplying phones to the U.S., to the detriment of the rest of the world.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
but you know that's where they directed the majority of their stock.....what little of it they have. Hopefully they sent the rest to China cause they stand a chance of getting major market share there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb