Nokia and Microsoft really f-ing blew it.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Personally, i don't see it as anyone but the Telcos fault.

Nokia would be idiots to build 100 million 920s, with only telco orders for 1 million. Basic supply and demand.

To be fair, WP7 never really sold many units, especially in the US, so in a way, its not a supprise that the telcos didn't order than many units.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but in Nokia's defense, they over-calculated the 900, and it bit them in the ass. This is actually a good thing, it means Microsoft blasting Windows 8 and Metro everywhere is having a positive impact on WinPhone.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It's possible Nokia does not have capacity to manufacture the quantity needed that quickly. Parts might not be available either.

Nokia was the #1 phone maker for 15 years or something, I doubt that they don't have the capacity, even if they are shutting down plants.

Chad Rollins

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The 810/820/822 series is also available in most if not all markets.

I wish. Here in Canada, the only WP8 Lumia available is the short stocked (ie: not available) Rogers 920. NOTHING ELSE ANYWHERE. No 810/820/822 units to be found. Heck, I'm almost feeling like that single sentence of yours is the only thing even REFERRING to something other than a 920 being purchasable Canada. Could always buy it online from overseas and hope for the best I guess. Love how I'm seeing all these articles about the 800 series WP8 devices being released in all these other countries BUT Canada. Odd.

Needless to say, I'm kind of pissed. ;) Both my girlfriend and I have BB's and they're driving us crazy. Been waiting for what seems like forever with our eyes set on an 820. I kept telling her, "Just wait until the MS event! The 820's will be officially announced and available shortly thereafter!" Right. Not then ... not Nov 4th ... not Nov 16th.

Where is this "The Microsoft Store will have every model in EVERY COLOUR available!" stuff?!? (Rough quote from the MS event). Here in Canada at the Yorkdale Mall MS Store ... they only have the black Rogers unit.

Anyway ... we may just have to go with a WP7 device and hope the 7.8 update plays out well ... whenever THAT hits the public. :)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What i dont understand is that the Nokia event was the 19th september if i remeber right. I can remember sitting here mesmerised for the whole presentation the new 920 and 820 looked awesome compared to anything else on the market. It was also common knowledge at that point that the W8 launch was 26th Oct and the WP8 would be a couple of days after. So im expecting WP8 devices to launch the first few weeks of November. What I dont get with this whole thing with device shortages is that there was no definite release date and not even a way to preorder for well over a month from the launch on the 19th September.
Hindsights always 20-20 as they say, but i bet someone that used to work at Nokia is saying to himself "damn why didnt i create an internet page for registering interest on the day we did the launch". It would have just been common sense - at least you could have got rough numbers on possible sales even before they announced the carrier exclusivity - they could have taken the preorder figures and had over a month to make however many million handsets while MS sorted out the final few bugs in the software. At least then if they sold out in the first week they could say well we made 10 million but they are all gone. Stores only having one or two in stock is ridiculous on lanch days.
I hate Apple as a company for my own varied reasons but when they do a launch they always say its available for preorder now and will be released in two weeks. I know damn well that they take those first preorder figures then get on the phone to foxconn and say youve got two weeks to make us 6 million idevices. Why nokia didnt do the same is just stupifying. Its a proven business model thats made them so successful. They havent got a patent for it so why not copy it and give yourself a month to do the job instead of two weeks. All the OEMs have blown the launch, samsung doesnt even have what could be the best WP8 device out for orders yet. It just doesnt make good business sense to show off your product and then not let people get it or let them know when they can have it or give them confidence that there will be enough available when you can get it.
Its kinda like they want a cult following, try and be the new cool rather than the idevice that everyones got. Doesnt make them much money though and wont bring the developers that they sorely need to start programming apps for them.

LongLeggs

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I will 100% guarantee that "stock" shows up on Black Friday. Oldest trick in the book. Create demand. If you all want to comment on business and how it's run and how things that in your world are failures but in the retail world they are not, study up on business. Most of this "chaos" is created by people who have no idea how things work.

Jessica

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I will 100% guarantee that "stock" shows up on Black Friday. Oldest trick in the book. Create demand. If you all want to comment on business and how it's run and how things that in your world are failures but in the retail world they are not, study up on business. Most of this "chaos" is created by people who have no idea how things work.

Jessica
Could be... but we'll know when Black Friday is here. Until then we can only speculate...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
how is being out of stock from selling out a failure?

It's not a failure until Nokia shows up numbers that proves it to be so...
Nobody know and that silence from Nokia is annoying.
Normally there is an hint like "Sales are going strong", all we get is AT&T saying that they are out of stock for no particular reason.
Let's just wait and see

The ZennyBoy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Here we are two days before black Friday and Amazon is out of stock, ATT online is out of stock.....how could they miscalculate demand so badly? There will be no second chances...everyone will be walking out of stores with craptacular SGIIIs...you can already see it on the Amazon bestsellers lists...as soon as the 920 went to backorder it started falling off the list and the SGIII replaced it.

Sickening and depressing...you have people WANTING to give you money and you have no product to offer.

" . . . There will be no second chances."
Who are you? God? Take it down a notch.
I'm not downplaying the issue at hand by any means -- it is a very big issue, especially with the outset of the holiday season. As others have said, manufacturing an excessive amount of devices would be the "real" mistake. Nokia is not going to repeat their mistake as they did with the 900. At this point, you can bet they've scoped out their figures in relation to demand and they'll have those phones shipping in no time.
Everyone seems to think they're smarter than the company on the hot seat (even me at times, lol). When Nokia goes out of business you can say that you're more intelligent . . . for now, just realize this is a temporary shortage of stock -- so please, stop passing divine judgment.
If you're that impatient, just go and buy that "craptacular" Galaxy. Jeez.

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's not a failure until Nokia shows up numbers that proves it to be so...
Nobody know and that silence from Nokia is annoying.
Normally there is an hint like "Sales are going strong", all we get is AT&T saying that they are out of stock for no particular reason.
Let's just wait and see

Honestly i dont think the numbers are going to be that great - I know for a fact that here in the UK the shops only have 2 or 3 in stock per delivery and they only get 3 - 4 deliveries a week add that to the fact that the 920's are locked to just 3 carriers and they are just further limiting what they can sell.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly i dont think the numbers are going to be that great - I know for a fact that here in the UK the shops only have 2 or 3 in stock per delivery and they only get 3 - 4 deliveries a week add that to the fact that the 920's are locked to just 3 carriers and they are just further limiting what they can sell.

Same for my local Rogers stores in Canada... 5 units per day or so

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Even if the numbers are great but 'not that great', it's still a successful product. You can't measure every tech company against the way Apple has succeeded. That type of success happens only on extremely rare occasions. Nokia, if posting great numbers (much greater than the 900), there should be positive talk about them getting back on track to profitability.

Very good signs so far that I see.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Even if the numbers are great but 'not that great', it's still a successful product. You can't measure every tech company against the way Apple has succeeded. That type of success happens only on extremely rare occasions. Nokia, if posting great numbers (much greater than the 900), there should be positive talk about them getting back on track to profitability.

Very good signs so far that I see.

I have no doubt that nokia will be successful. Thier phones are incredible devices and Nokia share price continues to rise - they arent going anywhere anytime soon the patent portfolio alone they hold controls and earns them money from every mobile device on the planet. The question is whether they blew it along with microsoft on the launch of the phones. Dont think anyone can argue that the launch has been completely botched.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My friend has a gift card from amazon and wanted to order a red or cyan 920. You can't even order them anymore, only white and black. He said he will probably wait until friday and order a gs3 if it's still not available. This is a big problem.

bamagrad03

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of manufacturing capacity, I'm pretty sure if you told Nokia that their initial allotment of phones would be sold out in 2 weeks - they'd say that's a good thing. Yet the OP is saying its a terrible thing.

You know what's worse than having no phones to sell on black Friday?

Having a ton of them in stock.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Where is this "The Microsoft Store will have every model in EVERY COLOUR available!" stuff?!? (Rough quote from the MS event). Here in Canada at the Yorkdale Mall MS Store ... they only have the black Rogers unit.

Well, technically, only the black Rogers unit is available right now, so they were tellin' the truth. :D

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Well Nokia's stock have jumped from 2.13 to 2.49 the last 7 days, this is a significant improvement when you are that low...
Nokia seems to do well these days

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077