One month of Windows 8 -- 40 million licenses. Forty! Million! Licenses!

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Who cares? Are you guys all shareholders? I never understand the corporate fistpumping that occurs on behalf of faceless corporations that couldn't give a **** about any of you - it's very very odd regardless of if it is apple, google, facebook or Mcdonalds.

Example: You buy a TV made by Samsung. You think it's freaking, and sales are good and overall customer satisfaction is high. Then you friend who visit your house say "Oh yeah Samsung TVs they suck big time, they are cheap as ****, you should by a LG."

Are you going to say "Yeah Samsung might not be so good after all." ?
OR
"Well according to the sales, the consumers' satisfaction and my personal experience it's a good TV." ?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Example: You buy a TV made by Samsung. You think it's freaking, and sales are good and overall customer satisfaction is high. Then you friend who visit your house say "Oh yeah Samsung TVs they suck big time, they are cheap as ****, you should by a LG."

Are you going to say "Yeah Samsung might not be so good after all." ?
OR
"Well according to the sales, the consumers' satisfaction and my personal experience it's a good TV." ?

Personal preference for a device is fine - otherwise what would we be talking about? That is a world away from cheer-leading for faceless corporations or taking 'great pleasure' because they have sold X units more or less than the competition.

Anyway my actual answer would be a 'shrug' and I'd wonder why my friend was so insecure he was that concerned about my Samsung TV.

lolpetewtf

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Who cares? Are you guys all shareholders? I never understand the corporate fistpumping that occurs on behalf of faceless corporations that couldn't give a **** about any of you - it's very very odd regardless of if it is apple, google, facebook or Mcdonalds.

Finally someone makes sense.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

I care.

The more success it has, the more developers will create software for it. The more developers that create software for it, the more developers that will create simple WP ports.

Do I really care if MS beats Apple or Android? Not really. But I do care that their ecosystem sells enough to be strong and have a lot of support.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly, the New York Times had an article on Lumia sales and claims that "sales aren't great, Nokia just didn't make many phones because they expected it to fail in the US market." Some Apple people are demanding "numbers of phones sold" in the comments.

They're never happy. Give them the number of Windows 8 licenses sold and they claim "it's all a lie, Windows is failing!" Don't give them numbers and they claim "it's all a lie, Windows is failing!" Fortunately, reality has a way of piercing even the thickest fog of Reality Distortion Field. :)

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I doubt if we will ever know, but it would be interesting to see if Nokia really did so badly underestimate how well the 920 would do.

In the future, were I Microsoft, I would stipulate that all GSM phones would work on all frequencies, international and domestic, so that you only had to create one phone of each type, and also no carrier exclusives. Same deal with

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
In fact... from what I read on other forums.... people say that many W8 PCs could have been returned and that Microsoft is not honest about the numbers... but that's not how a software company work... Microsoft does not care about defective hardware... why should they? they sell 1million licenses to Dell and if Dell has 1000 returns... well it's Dell's problem... Microsoft couldn't care less...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
People's logic is seriously flawed.. I've had a 2 hours talk with a friend of mine who truly believe that if a hardware is returned than the W8 sale should be canceled... The W8 licenses are sold to the hardware company... not the consumer... It's frustrating to have a talk with someone who denies any bit of articles that he don't like... if the article says "The sales are poor" then he believe it, but if it says "W8 better sales than expected" then it's BS

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Could this just be that they sold 40m licences to retailers but people haven't necessarily bought them? My bro just bought a Win 8 laptop and it's just awful

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Could this just be that they sold 40m licences to retailers but people haven't necessarily bought them? My bro just bought a Win 8 laptop and it's just awful

Its based on product activations so doubtful. And i tend to agree that Windows 8 isnt great on laptops unless they have a touchscreen.

kcovert

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Yep I'm holding out my WP8 development for a touchscreen laptop that has more than 8GBs of RAM to cover all the VMs I run for my other development. Going to search the web yet again today.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't understand why it is so hard for some people to believe that Microsoft sells a high number of operating systems. They still have an 80+% share of the desktop/laptop market, and selling an upgrade to Windows 8 for $40 is bound to drive up demand.

The world isn't all cell phones and tablets, though now that they are diving in to those markets, their position will only get stronger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99