Is it too late for the Ativ S and HTC 8S?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
When Samsung first announced the Ativ S, it seemed like Sammy had everything together and was just waiting for Microsoft to finish the software. Now the "world's first Windows Phone 8 device" might be the last to launch. With a rumored 3 week delay, it has basically missed the holiday season. The limelight from the original announcement has since shifted to the 8X and 920. And Samsung itself has been pretty quiet regarding the status of their Ativ S. I don't think Sammy's that concerned, after all, they're still selling Galaxy phones at break neck speeds. However, I fear that the Ativ S is already doomed to fail (as if they name wasn't already a foot in the coffin).

And then there's the 8S. IMO, the 8S should of launched right along the 8X. Unlike Samsung, HTC has been bleeding money for several quarters in a row. Getting more low-end phones on the market should be high priority, especially since the One series hasn't taken off. I really feel like HTC dropped the ball on that. Unless something drastic happens, Nokia will own the low-end Windows Phone market.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
There are 2 ways to answer this:

1) Samsung and HTC really do not have a chance to compete with Nokia anyways due to lack of commitment (Samsung) or due to not being able to offer comparable hardware, extras and support (HTC). If you believe that, then this is a mute post. I do not believe that. HTC is supporting their 8X, and Sammy has the resources to burn to build a strong push for all their ATIV line.

2) There is a shelf life on WP8 momentum. Again, I disagree. Are people only buying cell phones until December 31, then they stop? Is WP8 going to be non-supported after the 8X and Nokia Lumia line are done selling? Of course not.

Nokia will have follow up WP8, so will HTC. Other manufacturers offerings are coming. The ATIV and 8S are fine. There are plenty of Android devices selling months after ICS/Jellybean updates have been released. If we believe WP8 is growing, then we believe these devices will sell well so long as their manufacturers support them, regardless of release dates or delays.

I BELIEVE!! I BELIEVE!!!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is "too late" for anybody.

The ATIV S will appeal to a certain kind of user who is not yet in WP land.

And the 8S looks sharp and is very affordable. I can see lots of people snapping them up with Paygo contracts.

That said, Nokia (for all the supply issues) did scoop HTC and Samsung by getting their devices out first. That does make a difference.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Samsung will be fine. They seem to have a good handle on what consumers are looking for in their phones. HTC made a nice phone in the 8X, but it seems to be following the same unsuccessful path as the One series. I think long term Nokia and Samsung will be the top WP manufacturers.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you can say it's too late yet. There are those that still want that big screen, removable battery and extra storage that the Ativ has. It's a shame the 8S doesn't have the 8X specs. It looks so much nicer. But I agree that it can do well as a prepaid phone. But they aren't doing themselves any favors the longer they take.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
If Nokia or HTC would have put out a phone with the screen size, removable battery and expandable storage of the Ativ I would have bought it.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I was told by a Verizon rep that specific hardware is needed on a phone in order for it to be able to be a portable hotspot which is why the 8x doesn't have it. That doesn't seem accurate to me though.

Inaccurate yes. The international version i bought in the UK has internet sharing available the settings menu.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's too late. I expect WP8 to steady sustained growth.

They probably won't sell like gangbusters. But I don't think they would have anyway.

If anything, both those phones might benefit from the hype and advertising that is being done for the Lumias and the 8X. After all, it's still Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel