Microsoft should attack Google for its proprietary ways

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, we all knew Google would never give up on their biggest opportunity for data mining their users. . .

I keep reading this type of retort on the windows specific forums. It makes me wonder what is gathered, and how it effects me daily. I don't have ads in my email, on my browser, or txt's. I'm fairly certain I am also not spamming anyone with "increase your girth 200%!!!!!111" ads via email, txt, or other means.

What is the source for this reasoning ?

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Microsoft should attack Google for its proprietary ways

I keep reading this type of retort on the windows specific forums. It makes me wonder what is gathered, and how it effects me daily. I don't have ads in my email, on my browser, or txt's. I'm fairly certain I am also not spamming anyone with "increase your girth 200%!!!!!111" ads via email, txt, or other means.

When you search for some thing in Google the save all data and when you come back you going to get add after what you use to search for (interest and so) what the do is take this one step higher the want to know all browsing you do so they can sell more adds (get company to buy connection that Google do between you and companys )
simplified answer
Maybe some one with better English can answer

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
When you search for some thing in Google the save all data and when you come back you going to get add after what you use to search for (interest and so) what the do is take this one step higher the want to know all browsing you do so they can sell more adds (get company to buy connection that Google do between you and companys )
simplified answer
Maybe some one with better English can answer

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

I use adblock, and adfree, so I personally never see advertisements.

Being logged into a search engine (username password) and seeing previous searches has always been a bonus to me. Searching for obscure medical terms/illnesses is much better if the history of previous good results is easily available, to me.

If the search engine saves searches by IP, or browser cache, changing ip or dumping cache/cookies seems ok, to me. I don't see how this can be detrimental to people.

Targeted ads are a non issue (to me) assuming I can block them. I understand all search engines need to make money, if this is as intrusive as they become, great.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
What is the source for this reasoning
It's a mix of FUD and reality. If you want to post reviews on certain Google sites like Zagat or Google Play, you're going to need a Google+ profile to do it. Fact. The integrations will continue, that's another fact.

There are some really simple steps to take to avoid this auto sharing (which I think should have been opt-in)

1. The fastest way to stop it is to delete your Google account. Free and clear.
2. If you just want to stop public access to your profile, make it private, or adjust access to parts of your profile that you want kept private.
3. You can also delete your Google+ profile but keep everything else. You lose some features, but you might not care.

As for the FUD, do your own research and make your own choices. Fear mongering exists in all of these technology pissing matches, but don't react based on what someone else wants you to do.

If Google+ gives you the creeps but you want to keep your other Google access, see #3 above. If you want out altogether, see #1. It only takes a hot second to complete.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I use adblock, and adfree, so I personally never see advertisements.

Being logged into a search engine (username password) and seeing previous searches has always been a bonus to me. Searching for obscure medical terms/illnesses is much better if the history of previous good results is easily available, to me.

If the search engine saves searches by IP, or browser cache, changing ip or dumping cache/cookies seems ok, to me. I don't see how this can be detrimental to people.

Targeted ads are a non issue (to me) assuming I can block them. I understand all search engines need to make money, if this is as intrusive as they become, great.

Just because you block the ads from view on your side doesn't stop Google on their side. They're still collecting the info and storing it in their data vaults whether you clean out your cache/history or not.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
It's a mix of FUD and reality. If you want to post reviews on certain Google sites like Zagat or Google Play, you're going to need a Google+ profile to do it. Fact. The integrations will continue, that's another fact.

There are some really simple steps to take to avoid this auto sharing (which I think should have been opt-in)

1. The fastest way to stop it is to delete your Google account. Free and clear.
2. If you just want to stop public access to your profile, make it private, or adjust access to parts of your profile that you want kept private.
3. You can also delete your Google+ profile but keep everything else. You lose some features, but you might not care.

As for the FUD, do your own research and make your own choices. Fear mongering exists in all of these technology pissing matches, but don't react based on what someone else wants you to do.

If Google+ gives you the creeps but you want to keep your other Google access, see #3 above. If you want out altogether, see #1. It only takes a hot second to complete.

I've only done a very small amount of googling about myself. I found very little information, most of which was from 'people finders' and the like.

I haven't seen anything creepy about facebook, g+, or other social media. I'm certain there is data collected that is not facing the web (privately held) and loads of it. Since its not public, I might need court orders to discover it. Meh.

This makes me agree with the majority of your post, particularly the fud portions.

(Post thanked

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Just because you block the ads from view on your side doesn't stop Google on their side. They're still collecting the info and storing it in their data vaults whether you clean out your cache/history or not.

I understand that, just as any other company I visit....

As is any website that I visit, log into, or purchase items from. I get targeted ads, or similar items suggested by amazon, ebay, woot, whoever. My doctors office has my medical history on laptops, unencrypted, running xp. That worries me more than my history of searching for glass bongs or baboon grass.

I'm not trying to pale one company's practices, just curious as to the real reasons for the fud (if it is).

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

The source is merely how our views towards 'privacy & ads' differ. Just because you're an open book, it doesn't mean others should feel comfortable with a corporation (one of which that has questionable track record in conduct) collecting data across a web that's cast over multiple sites.

I've said it many times before. I had no issue with Google collecting my privacy data when they were merely a search engine. It was the forced Gmail account after buying out Youtube, hacking my internet browser, scanning Gmail emails, and the most recent anti-competitive actions that get my back up. It's isn't just about my data now (or tin foil hats), I genuinely don't want that scummy ad agency to make a single penny from me.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The source is merely how our views towards 'privacy & ads' differ. Just because you're an open book, it doesn't mean others should feel comfortable with a corporation (one of which that has questionable track record in conduct) collecting data across a web that's cast over multiple sites.

I've said it many times before. I had no issue with Google collecting my privacy data when they were merely a search engine. It was the forced Gmail account after buying out Youtube, hacking my internet browser, scanning Gmail emails, and the most recent anti-competitive actions that get my back up. It's isn't just about my data now (or tin foil hats), I genuinely don't want that scummy ad agency to make a single penny from me.

Opinion noted.

I've also said before, that anything I wanted to remain private, I would encrypt or never put online to begin with. Occasionally I'll encrypt a disk image full of pictures and gmail it out to family/friends. This has less to do with google as it does isp's, the fbi/nsa/cia/whoever is else is snooping around the interwebs.

I'm assuming you have a strong method of encrypting all your internet usage/data ?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Opinion noted.

I've also said before, that anything I wanted to remain private, I would encrypt or never put online to begin with. Occasionally I'll encrypt a disk image full of pictures and gmail it out to family/friends. This has less to do with google as it does isp's, the fbi/nsa/cia/whoever is else is snooping around the interwebs.

Generally, I have no issues participating in social networks. Privacy data & ads are as certain as death & taxes, although if I have 'choice', I'll take it. I prefer to choose whom I share my privacy data with, instead of having it stolen from me (hacking my browser), or forcing me into an eco-system where absolutely nothing is private, including emails. I don't generalize, comparing Google to 'the norm' as you do.

I'm assuming you have a strong method of encrypting all your internet usage/data ?

Outside of Google's web of data mining, sorry, I meant to say "eco-system" and shady conduct, I really don't feel the need to.

:wink:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I bet next Google will start to pay off devs under the table to not develop their apps for Windows Phone. They seem scummy enough to do something low like that.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So Google isn't a thief unless it steals from you, personally.

Wow, that would get an acquittal for almost every thief facing prosecution, worldwide.

The Google fanbase has become less of a mere tech ****** club, and more of a religion. I've known Mac and Amiga fans from years past who were more willing to consider criticism of The Mothership.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I keep reading this type of retort on the windows specific forums. It makes me wonder what is gathered, and how it effects me daily. I don't have ads in my email, on my browser, or txt's.

It's all been documented in the forum up to this point. If you've "read this type of retort," then you've also read the answer to your question.

Be a polite forum participant and read the prior coverage before demanding it be spoon-fed to you. If you're truly interested, the forum has awesome search capability that allowed me to find the posts about it in less than three seconds.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3