Microsoft should attack Google for its proprietary ways

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has (rightly) identified Google as the principal barrier to real innovation in Internet content and multi-platform devices.

Google works to make non-Google platforms "break" on its services, as a lock-in to Google services... So much for "don't be evil."

The next phase of the "Scroogle" and "DroidRage" campaigns should be an illustration of how Google services don't work well on Windows Phone or iOS, but work best on Android. Then, Microsoft should demonstrate how Bing, SkyDrive, Outlook.com and other services work equally well across platforms.

Finish it up with "we know you'll choose Windows Phone and Windows 8 because you WANT to, not because you have to. Google clearly doesn't feel the same way about their OSes."

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. It's neither legally or ethically wrong for Google to limit/restrict their services to their platform. Consumers are free to choose alternative products if they disagree with Google's policies.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh you're wrong. Google services work really well on iOS. iOS has an excellent YouTube, Google +, Gmail etc etc app.
They only suck on Windows Phone. And if you've visited these forums then you'll know it's one of thousand things that currently suck on this platform. So my friend you need to use all other platforms out there before you say Google doesnt care about other OS.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. It's neither legally or ethically wrong for Google to limit/restrict their services to their platform. Consumers are free to choose alternative products if they disagree with Google's policies.

It's certainly unethical for Google to claim to be the "open" company yet leverage their search monopoly to block competing products from adoption. And Microsoft should be pushing consumers to choose Microsoft's alternatives because they're ethical AND better.

Google services work really well on iOS.

Not really. Google Voice on iOS sucks. Google Maps is MIA. YouTube is meh (and until recently, only worked through the browser).

In contrast, Microsoft's rock-solid support for iOS and Android shines through.

it's one of thousand things that currently suck on this platform

All the other thousands of things being Google "services" as well.

That Android fanboys are feeling defensive enough to visit the Microsoft forums to defend their beloved Google masters speaks volumes about how strong Microsoft's points are.

It's important that users understand that they don't have to live in a Google Ghetto of poor maps, lousy e-mail, and empty Google+ that nobody uses. The open web is out there with choices from Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo and others that are faster and better, and don't involve having your most private data resold verbatim to advertisers.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
It's important that users understand that they don't have to live in a Google Ghetto of poor maps, lousy e-mail, and empty Google+ that nobody uses. The open web is out there with choices from Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo and others that are faster and better, and don't involve having your most private data resold verbatim to advertisers.
Great, then use them. If Google sucks so much you should be glad it sucks on Windows Phone too. Your whole argument just went into the dumps by your above statement.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's certainly unethical for Google to claim to be the "open" company yet leverage their search monopoly to block competing products from adoption. And Microsoft should be pushing consumers to choose Microsoft's alternatives because they're ethical AND better.

Open =/= obligated to support competing platforms

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I use iOS, Android and Windows Phone every day. And yes, YouTube for iOS is "meh." Most Google services are "meh" at best -- that's why they've had so many bombs like Buzz, Wave, Froogle, Google Payments, Google Wallet, etc.

Google makes its money from selling your private data to advertisers. Microsoft makes its money from selling you a better experience. That's why Google's experience is typically on the spectrum from "meh" to "oh my God that sucks," while Microsoft UX is delightful and innovative. Another great selling point for the next Scroogle/Droidrage campaign after pointing out how closed and proprietary Google's mediocre services are!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Bull puckey. If a service is proprietary and doesn't support basic standards like IE10, it's closed. End of.

Chrome has currently quite good support for JavaScript/ECMAScript according to Ecma International's ECMAScript standards conformance Test 262[SUP][108][/SUP] (version ES5.1 of 2012-05-18). This test reports as final score the number of tests a browser failed; hence lower scores are better. In this test, Chrome version 23.0.1271 scored 9/11570, the beta version 22.0.1215.1 scored 16/11570, and the dev version 25.0.1323.0 scored 14/11570. For comparison, Firefox 15 scored 172/11750 and Internet Explorer 9 has a score of 600+, while Internet Explorer 10 has a score of 7.

Google is not slacking on web standards.

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Google is certainly slacking on web standards. It doesn't support Windows browsers properly.

(Though to be fair, I'm sure Chrome will be submitting new "spyware" standards for "scraping users' browser history and private data to resell to advertisers.")

Yahoo supports IE. Microsoft supports IE. Even Apple supports IE.

Google? Slacking. It's either too incompetent to properly support the dominant browser, IE, or it's deliberately undermining user experience to force users to a Google-owned platform. In the former case, you'd be silly to entrust your digital life to a bunch of buffoons. In the latter case, entrusting it to them is limiting and costly.

Google wants to dictate to me what hardware I may use, once I'm ensnared in their services that are fraudulently touted as "open." Microsoft says "use any hardware you want, we'll support it all equally -- we just hope you'll choose Windows."

It's a yawning gulf. Contrary to the Google ****** narrative, Google is closed and proprietary and restrictive, while Microsoft gives the user choice.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Another scary thing for Microsoft to advertise -- when Google's network went down today, most of its software (including Chrome) crashed, because it couldn't scrape and transmit private user data. *shudders*

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Another scary thing for Microsoft to advertise -- when Google's network went down today, most of its software (including Chrome) crashed, because it couldn't scrape and transmit private user data. *shudders*

How do you think google and Facebook make all their money .. Its not from ads I know for sure .. Just think when was the last time you purposely clicked on an web ad

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
They make their money by selling your information like the things you like and places you shop.. Ir the things you talk about with your friends .. When you have a Facebook account you are helping someone make billions of dollars by letting them sell the information you give them for free

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Google is the gift that keeps on giving...

Looking for that Google app for your Windows Phone? Don't hold your breath | Windows Phone Central

The best part is that Google develops apps for Symbian, webOS and BlackBerry... but Windows 8 at 40 million sales in its first month is "not where the users are." Hilarious!

Anyway, if you use Microsoft platforms, I advise that you dump ALL Google services. It is clear that the company's longterm policy of making their stuff break on Microsoft platforms is only going to continue (and possibly accelerate).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Google is certainly slacking on web standards. It doesn't support Windows browsers properly.

(Though to be fair, I'm sure Chrome will be submitting new "spyware" standards for "scraping users' browser history and private data to resell to advertisers.")

Yahoo supports IE. Microsoft supports IE. Even Apple supports IE.

Google? Slacking. It's either too incompetent to properly support the dominant browser, IE, or it's deliberately undermining user experience to force users to a Google-owned platform. In the former case, you'd be silly to entrust your digital life to a bunch of buffoons. In the latter case, entrusting it to them is limiting and costly.

Google wants to dictate to me what hardware I may use, once I'm ensnared in their services that are fraudulently touted as "open." Microsoft says "use any hardware you want, we'll support it all equally -- we just hope you'll choose Windows."

It's a yawning gulf. Contrary to the Google ****** narrative, Google is closed and proprietary and restrictive, while Microsoft gives the user choice.

How does Microsoft give a user choice if it does not allow any browser other than IE on Windows Phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3