Microsoft should attack Google for its proprietary ways

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Microsoft should attack Google for its proprietary ways

Proprietary ways -- from hacked-up IMAP to closed YouTube APIs, Google is about restricting user choice and blocking users who don't use its OS and software.

Interesting Google is doing what what google and a few other claimed Microsoft for doing whit IE
Humm well this will open up for Microsoft to implement new stuff in bing and so (YouTube clone free office in bing..... )

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Google is one of those companies that has endless adulation from people -- they often don't even know why they love it so. They just "do."

Criticizing it can make you very unpopular with people who want to be "cool." They'll apologize for everything Google does, because their slogan is "Don't be evil," and they're COOL!

So Google does something anti-competitive? Well, who cares, it's Microsoft and they deserve it! And they scrape your private password data from your WiFi network? Who cares, it's technically legal, and besides, you can trust Google with your private information, they're collecting it for your own good! And they copied the book you spent years writing and put it on the web for free, so they could sell ads alongside it? Well, information was meant to be free, and you should be grateful that they stole your work!

And so on. Only after Google burns the ****** himself, will that ****** realize just how bad things are, and that date is a while away yet. I try to warn the fanboys of what pain potentially awaits them, but they shrug and persist... such is their right. I just don't want to hear wheedling later.

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

I mostly agree with you here. It sometimes astounds me how much of a blind-eye is given to Google.

And IMO this the first step to breaking fan-boy'ism to Google (hoping so)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Fuel to the fire, I know, but Google is apparently breaking access to maps.google.com for Windows Phone users. You'd think Google would act more mature than this, but I guess not. It's hard to support a company that routinely screws over its customers.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
And the Google-Corps are claiming they're striking a blow for "openness" by blocking access by devices they don't like.

These are the same guys who support so-called "net neutrality" that would mandate that ISPs cannot do to Google what Google is doing to Microsoft users. ROFL

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

Fuel to the fire, I know, but Google is apparently breaking access to maps.google.com for Windows Phone users. You'd think Google would act more mature than this, but I guess not. It's hard to support a company that routinely screws over its customers.

Fuel to fire BTW I have made 5 confirmed change from Google to Bing/Hotmail and a few that is a maybe

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Yup the maps issue is now being reported on many sites. I don't think google is stupid enough to unintentionally break off access to their maps. Quite a d-bag move if you ask me.

Hey but the google doodle was of something I liked - what an awesome company! ...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Google's official reply is "we never supported Windows Phone for maps, so it's not really broken." ROFL

This is blatantly anti-competitive. It's one thing to not support something. It's quite another to actively cripple a 3rd party from accessing data that is supposedly publicly accessible through a web browser.

If Google's response to them actively singling out a browser is just that it's "unsupported", then they may have some big legal challenges coming up.

I don't even use google maps. But this has me peeved.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not peeved -- I totally expected it.

I expect that they're going to start targeting Apple, next. Expect to see Google Maps for iOS "deprecated" with ads saying "Android will give you a better experience."

Google wants 100% of the mobile market, as well as 100% of your digital life, and they'll stop at nothing to get it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am in the process of switching from Google to Outlook.com. I'm having my Gmail forwarded for the next 28 days. When the 28 days are up, I'll delete my Google account completely.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I didn't try to classify anyone as a terrorist.

Which Outlook.com never has done. Ever tried Outlook on Mac?

Neither do Microsoft's

I'd like to have my contacts and calendar, as well as push email from Outlook.com in Outlook on my Mac. Who do I blame for the fact that it isn't possible? Windows users get those features but Mac users don't.

Outlook.com doesn't work with outlook 2010, out of the box, and you have download an application (hotmail connector).
Unfortunately because of the limitations of the MAC OS, it doesn't let Microsoft code hotmail connector for outlook 2011. Nobody can. There are 3rd party items they act like a push exchange service that works with the MAC and hotmail.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am in the process of switching from Google to Outlook.com. I'm having my Gmail forwarded for the next 28 days. When the 28 days are up, I'll delete my Google account completely.

You're pretty cross-platform -- was there something that made you decide to pursue this course of action?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Outlook.com doesn't work with outlook 2010, out of the box, and you have download an application (hotmail connector).
Unfortunately because of the limitations of the MAC OS, it doesn't let Microsoft code hotmail connector for outlook 2011. Nobody can. There are 3rd party items they act like a push exchange service that works with the MAC and hotmail.

There's a great client for Outlook.com that runs on every modern Mac, and extends the capabilities of the Mac greatly once it's installed. It's called "Microsoft Windows." :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3