12-30-2012 11:03 AM
82 1234
tools
    dude. we don't really care if you have an android phone..... so yea. but good luck it it
    12-15-2012 02:47 PM
    Until Windows phone 8 can mow my grass, make my bed and wash my car I am sticking with android. C'mon people Windows phone 8 is beautifully magnificently fluid and she keeps me warm at night!! 😈
    12-15-2012 02:47 PM
    the windows phones need MORE exposure
    when u walk into a big retailer like best buy and ask about the Lumia 920 ,they look at you like u are asking about something out of this world
    They have no working models on display,no cases no screen protectors, Nothing.
    Microsoft needs to do something about that
    12-15-2012 02:52 PM
    dude. we don't really care if you have an android phone..... so yea. but good luck it it
    I don't, I have a windows phone - go back and re-read the conversation.
    12-15-2012 02:55 PM
    ummm. then why did you say you have a Nexus 4 sat next to you then...............awkward
    12-15-2012 02:57 PM
    ummm. then why did you say you have a Nexus 4 sat next to you then...............awkward

Because my other half has one.
    12-15-2012 03:20 PM
    ummmmm.......ok........???
    12-15-2012 03:21 PM
    I'm a happy windows phone user but I'm also cheap and I'll likely switch back to Android because it is (with 4.0 and above) 'good enough'' and with google now turning out nexus phones at such low prices, I'll get one of them.
    As for inexpensive handsets, I just ordered an unlocked HTC 8S and it was the least expensive handset out there. Mind you, if you're a spec hound, a Nexus 4 may be a better choice if you don't care about the o/s. In my case, I'm married to the o/s not the handset.
    12-15-2012 03:21 PM
    As for inexpensive handsets, I just ordered an unlocked HTC 8S and it was the least expensive handset out there. Mind you, if you're a spec hound, a Nexus 4 may be a better choice if you don't care about the o/s. In my case, I'm married to the o/s not the handset.
    The difference in price in the UK between the 8S is only about twenty quid so it's not a factor - having said that, I had a play with an 8S today, it's a very nice feeling phone.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-15-2012 03:35 PM
    and about xbox video... why is it socomplicated to make possible to rent a movie regardless of the country you are in... Microsoft should make worldwide... seriously... I had to create an email adress with United-States has my country to unlock this service... I simply don't understand Microsoft on this... same for Local Scout and lots of W8 and WP8 key features... If Apple can do it.. I don't know why Microsoft can't
    12-15-2012 03:49 PM
    One thing Microsoft needs to fix, immediately, is the poor OS updating experience.

There are lots of 8Xs that are suffering from random reboot problems, and the answer for when they're going to get the update already sent out to unlocked devices is...

*get ready*

"In the coming months."

Not. Good. Enough.
    Crappy. User. Experience.

And the worst part is, it's not that hard to fix.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-15-2012 04:53 PM
    First off, even at the risk of being tarred, feathered, drawn, quartered, and having my remains fed to a fire Ant hill:

ICS and J.B. Android phones are not the "lag, stutter, freeze, repeat" devices of the previous couple Android cycles. The Multi-core processors helped, the optiminzation of the OS helped, the OEM's dialing down their UI skins helped a TON (looking at you, HTC Sense and Motrola MotoBlur), and this generation of Androids are much better. Do not think for one second any growth WP gets will be because of Android "rage" over poor performance. There is very little actual disgust with Android. They keep improving their tools and baked in features. Android is not losing any steam. Period. They are actually gaining due to improving performance, which is amazing.

However, Android cannot offer a true entire ecosystem. Microsoft can. Android cannot offer a new way to work a device. Microsoft can. All we can hope for is that Microsoft, Nokia, HTC, all their other OEM and Tablet makers are sharing in the vision of what Windows offers.

In other words, it is my humble, unimportant opinion that the OP is correct: Microsoft will get WP users based on it's own merits, ecosystem, improved tools and support. Not because Android, Apple, or RIM failed.

Although that WOULD help......
    Laura Knotek, fifthGear and PhilR8 like this.
    12-15-2012 05:33 PM
    Sorry, but I own a Galaxy S III, and it's just as laggy, crash-prone, freeze-prone, etc. as every other Android device I've owned.

It's a lot more colorful, and initially impresses, but after a few weeks, you hit "WTF moments" every few hours.

There's a lot to be said for consistent and reliable... that's why Apple can charge what they do.
    12-15-2012 05:45 PM
    I agree that Android can't be as bad as some have experienced or they wouldn't sell so many. WP has some maturing to do, but it's almost there and it's dang good.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-15-2012 05:52 PM
    and about xbox video... why is it socomplicated to make possible to rent a movie regardless of the country you are in... Microsoft should make worldwide... seriously... I had to create an email adress with United-States has my country to unlock this service... I simply don't understand Microsoft on this... same for Local Scout and lots of W8 and WP8 key features... If Apple can do it.. I don't know why Microsoft can't
    I don't own an Xbox. As a result, I don't see why it would be any advantage to get an Xbox Gold subscription for $5/month. Renting the videos is an extra cost per movie, and Netflix/Redbox/Amazon Prime streaming is cheaper, since there are no additional "rental charges" other than the subscription charges.
    12-15-2012 05:55 PM
    That's not Microsoft. That's geoblocking. That's also the reason why some apps are not available to us. And also why I can't get hulu inatalled on my WDTV Live.
    12-15-2012 06:00 PM
    That's not Microsoft. That's geoblocking. That's also the reason why some apps are not available to us. And also why I can't get hulu inatalled on my WDTV Live.
    That's true. It isn't always US that gets certain apps or features first. Spotify was available in UK for two years before it became available in US.
    12-15-2012 06:32 PM
    When I lived in the UK, I used a US proxy server frequently so that I could view content on Comedy Central or YouTube without the "this content isn't available in your country" error message.

The legal regime is still living in 1950 while the real world is in 2012.
    12-15-2012 10:51 PM
    Sorry, but I own a Galaxy S III, and it's just as laggy, crash-prone, freeze-prone, etc. as every other Android device I've owned.

It's a lot more colorful, and initially impresses, but after a few weeks, you hit "WTF moments" every few hours.

There's a lot to be said for consistent and reliable... that's why Apple can charge what they do.
    My wife has the Evo 4G LTE and while she doesn't experience WTF moments every few hours, she does experience them every few days.

But to be honest, those hiccups are easily tolerated because of the sheer utility of Android. We actually just completed a week-long road trip and we used Google Navigation over Nokia Drive because when put side by side, Nokia Drive is so far behind that it is a complete embarrassment. We were able to easily stream content from the PRI and NPR apps. I really cannot underscore enough how simple this was on her android phone. There is no similar solution on Windows phone without downloading podcasts through Xbox music. The streaming content ran in the background while navigation was running, too.

The point is that Android users, even casual non-techie folks like my wife, have become accustomed to a certain level of capabilities that I just don't thin WP8 can currently provide. So while Android sill does lock up sometimes (my 920 has also locked up recently) most users gladly tolerate that minor irritation because of everything else the platform allows them to do.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-15-2012 11:24 PM
    For a pure consumer phone, I suppose that's OK. I use mine as a personal and business phone, and I couldn't afford all the problems at work that my locked up phone was causing -- crashed conference calls, missed e-mails, etc.
    12-15-2012 11:26 PM
    Speaking of content - is the Podcast support in WP8 as bad as WP7? (I understand that podcasting actually works in the US? - so if you are from there you might not have any idea what I'm on about).
    12-16-2012 04:04 AM
    When I lived in the UK, I used a US proxy server frequently so that I could view content on Comedy Central or YouTube without the "this content isn't available in your country" error message.

The legal regime is still living in 1950 while the real world is in 2012.
    Utterly ridiculous I agree. What I wouldn't do to get Iheartradio on my phone...
    12-16-2012 07:39 AM
    I think a biggie in this discussion (sorry only read the op's opening statement) is apps.
    I am using a BlackBerry 9900 and after listening to podcasts and reading reviews it seems we are about even on the app front. Bb10 is dropping and all the talk on crackberry is always leaning towards app ecosystem.

Kevin is using a 920 and said lack of instagram,opentable and others is a huge problem for him but he's trying it as part of his world tour thing.

Its kind of sad that people don't really care about the phone that they're buying now rather if it supports the apps they know and love on their current device.

Sent from my game boy color
    11B1P and Made in flanders like this.
    12-17-2012 11:25 PM
    I think a biggie in this discussion (sorry only read the op's opening statement) is apps.
    I am using a BlackBerry 9900 and after listening to podcasts and reading reviews it seems we are about even on the app front. Bb10 is dropping and all the talk on crackberry is always leaning towards app ecosystem.

Kevin is using a 920 and said lack of instagram,opentable and others is a huge problem for him but he's trying it as part of his world tour thing.

Its kind of sad that people don't really care about the phone that they're buying now rather if it supports the apps they know and love on their current device.

Sent from my game boy color
    I wonder how many people will dump Instagram, since they do not want their personal photos turned into ads.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-18-2012 12:04 AM
    Android and iPhone users don't see much need to jump in the WP8 and W8 boat. Why? Because their preferred OS meet their needs. WP8 should keep all of its must have features while having more features to meet the needs of an iPhone and Android user. While WP8 is simply gorgeous, fast and fluid.. it falls short for a lot of iOS and Android users in terms of features and apps.

The xbox music app (Win8 and WP8) should be better. It needs some major updates, because at the moment it feels like they didn't put much effort in it. Except for the design...

You should be able to carry your videos in you smartphone and WP8 seems to be lacking there.

The lack of key apps should be taken into consideration by Microsoft and they should do something about it. Pay to motivate them to make an app for Windows Phone.

The official Facebook app seriously needs to be improved... it is really far from a quality app... Same for the official Twitter app... it's not common to see unofficial apps being 10X better than the official app...

Windows Phone will be a strong player in the near future, but I think that this is what Microsoft is missing to compete with Android and iOS.

Microsoft is being laughed at and the only way to get over this is to do better than iOS and Android. (I already like it better than Android and iOS, but the tech industry does not have the same opinion as I). Microsoft should come up with a tablet with a SIM card slot... it's 2012... they should make it cheaper to get more sales... Profit is good, but visibility is better and you can't make enough profit if most people see your tablet and say "Well I saw a review that rated it quite low and anyway it's too expensive". At the moment Microsoft with the Surface RT is the tablet that make the most profit per unit on the market... there is room to lower the price.

Microsoft is about to come back in the game, but it needs to boost things up a little bit. Microsoft is not in the same position they were years ago and that means that it needs to push its products more than its competitors... Make less profit and get more sales.
    I feel I am going to leave windows phone and discountinue my Xbox music subscription if Xbox music is not fixed before next iPhone. At least Spotify and iTunes both work, and I am almost sure that apple will not screw music streaming experience.
    12-18-2012 12:11 AM
82 1234