02-08-2014 07:14 AM
63 123
tools
    Hi.If at all possible I think it would be great for MS to buy Vimeo. Its something I've also thought about. For Microsoft to have it's own Video creation and sharing service would lessen the dependence of those within the MS ecosystems dependence on Google's product.
    If some sort of incentive could be presented to Youtube channels hosts(particularly big name hosts with large subscriber numbers) to upload thier videos to Vimeo as well as to Youtube, which is relatively easy process in itself, specific Youtube content would make it to MS ecosystem and other tubers may also follow.
    I of course don't know all the logistics involved but if I were working at MS this is a play I'd consider.
    01-27-2014 02:42 PM
    Youtube is to video what Google is to search. If MS buys or starts a competitor they will never beat but another Bing service, good enough but in a distant second place. They should have bought Youtube or at least ramped up their own offerings much earlier. I don't think it will be a good move, just money wasted. Its too late now.
    01-29-2014 03:05 AM
    Youtube is to video what Google is to search. If MS buys or starts a competitor they will never beat but another Bing service, good enough but in a distant second place. They should have bought Youtube or at least ramped up their own offerings much earlier. I don't think it will be a good move, just money wasted. Its too late now.
    Geez, everyone might as well just give up and go with the status quo. Never innovate anything ever again....
    01-29-2014 03:08 AM
    Geez, everyone might as well just give up and go with the status quo. Never innovate anything ever again....
    Its also about evaluating where the best returns will be. Contrary to popular belief Microsoft are not a bottomless money pit and their share holders would like to see a return on their investments. There is a case for Bing but I don't think there is a case for a Youtube competitor. If there will be one, it has to be so much better that people will be compelled to move but that is easier said than done. What will be MS business model if they wish to make money from this new video service? Their ad services needs to vastly improve to compete with Google. Or will they make it free? so who pays the bills? I do see an argument to your point, but right now there are other areas, like getting WP where the money can be invested.
    a5cent likes this.
    01-29-2014 03:40 AM
    I think it would be another "chicken or egg" dilemma again. Even if MS video service was vastly better, people wouldn't move there cos their favourite videomakers arn't there and the favourite video makers won't move there cos their fans arn't there.

It's just like trying to make up a new social network out of nowhere while there's another superpopular one. Yes, sometimes, somewhat unexplainedly, a shift happens and people move but it's very hard to be sure of that or control it in any way. Despite Google's best attempts at forcing Google+ down people's throats, it still sucks and nobody actually uses it :P
    01-29-2014 04:36 AM
    Just an idea, vimeo is manly for flim and Animation vids.. so maybe MS should up there "Move maker" to attest match little bit with industry slandered software like adobe premiere etc, and find a way to integrate Vimeo with it.. in same ways to help film maker,.. and vimeo is far better than youtube, in every way only thing it lacks is users, which is fine.. coz half of the internet user are haters anyway, and vimeo don't need that.
    01-29-2014 08:17 AM
    I agree that Microsoft, even with the purchase of the likes of Vimeo(if either party is even willing) would be a distant second but a distant second is better than an absolute absence.
    Bing's presence as first a decision engine and now a search engine has positioned Microsoft not to be totally dependent on Google for search, provides them with ad revenue not otherwise accessible, data collection on users online behaviors, integration of search with social networking, linking data with users of Microsoft's services across a broader scope as they use search connected with social , thus providing data collection/tracking opportunities for context computing, and a host of other things beyond search, so a distant second yes but being number one isn't required for the wider breath of their goals. Bing, the distant second is also the default search engine for Siri, on tens of millions of iPhone.

So having a broad suite of services, especially as computing makes its way to the cloud as a norm, Microsoft's new Office Online branding is good positioning of thier productivity services, Xbox music should be positioned right beside it as part of thier breath of services and if they could buy Vimeo, a video creation service would help to round off its offerings. Vimeo already has a thriving user base, so if it could be acquired, MS would not be starting from scratch. And again they can present an incentive to YouTube content creators to create a channel on Vimeo, "Increase your online footprint, the hard part is done, you've created the content, share on Vimeo and reach our 100 million unique monthly visitors and our 22million subscribers". Once the content is created its a breeze uploading to another service, the hard parts done. Anyway, I don't even know if either party is willing, but to have that based covered in Microsofts ecosystem would at least decrease users reliance on Youtube,Google, especially if some of the Youtuble content, even a percentage, is added to the already rich vimeo content.
    Being a part of Microsoft's ecosystem, packaged and presented with their Online services, presented as their video creating services packaged in Windows, on Windows Phones and Xbox would also put Vimeo in front of millions of people in a way that it is not presented before the market now. I say they should make a play for it.
    01-29-2014 05:01 PM
    Video makers don't necessarily have to "move" there, they can belong to both Youtube and Vimeo, like people belong to Instagram, Tumblr, and Facebook. Create content once, share on each.
    If MS buys Vimeo, Content creators can remain on Youtube, create a Vimeo account and share the same content there, increasing thier online footprint. Vimeo has 100million unique visitors and 22million subscribers,(as of Dec 2013) that's a large audience.
    01-29-2014 05:09 PM
    Buy Vimeo and integrate it into everything they got.
    01-29-2014 05:42 PM
    No, YouTube is a service and a livelihood. Launching a competitor against YouTube, no matter how good it is, will not succeed.
    02-02-2014 11:00 AM
    Or how about announcing that "Microsoft Netflix is ending support for proprietary video standards and implementing WMV for standard video. Unfortunately, Google does not support WMV standards on Android, so Netflix will not work on Android until Google adds this to its proprietary video codec." ;)
    1. What is a 'proprietary video standard'?
    2. Android supports H.264 and probably other video codecs. H.264 is not proprietary to Google. In fact, it's a genuine international standard, ratified by international standards organisations.
    3. Why do you guys hate Android so much? It feels like it's some deep rooted personal thing, not just about technology.
    4. Please explain what you mean by 'WMV standard'.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 02-25-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    FinancialP likes this.
    02-08-2014 03:53 AM
    No, YouTube is a service and a livelihood. Launching a competitor against YouTube, no matter how good it is, will not succeed.
    smart !

Microsoft has hosting services/clouds already. they cannot compete with the entrenched, and internationally known YouTube.

a better question, though, is why should Microsoft care to compete with YouTube ?

I can't recall ever seeing a video posted with live.com, or whatever Microsoft is calling its cloud this week. really, I can't recall seeing a hosted file on Microsoft servers for anything, pictures, videos, audio files, render files, disk images, or anything.

they're an office suite/operating system company. trying to compete with Google in search, video hosting, mobile OS, and kind share just doesn't make sense.
    FinancialP likes this.
    02-08-2014 05:16 AM
    No I don't think that would be a good idea. YouTube absolutely OWNS the online video market. It would be like another Zune to compete with the iPod type of thing. No one would use it.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry
    02-08-2014 07:14 AM
63 123