Should MS launch a Brand new youtube competitor? or buy Vimeo or Hulu

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm been thinking. since we all love MS products. would it be cool if MS launched a brand new Video service and just called it Xbox Videos. like the one in Windows 8. MS should also integrate them into the Xbox Video hub on Xbox 360, Win 8/RT and Wp8. where it can show new uploaded videos, subscriptions, Play videos, Comment them and liking them. you will need a MS account to do this. you can do this one a Web version of Xbox videos. but you can buy videos. like real ones like movies.

Why use the Xbox brand? well because the Xbox brand is widely known. when people see something to do with Xbox they will instantly wanna know about it.

So do you think it's a good idea MS should do this or just buy Hulu or Vimeo?

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No. the tube is much too big and popular just like Android and WP they would be last place always trying to play catch-up Pretty much the days of MS dominance are over. Don't get me wrong I've always liked there products but they passed out at thee wheel and WP8-9 will never ever come close to the users of Android or iPhone even now when you look WP8 is good if you like low or middle range device they have one very good high end device I rather see MS make there own phones and tablets and all in ones. Even surface is lacking against the ipad ...

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Because Bing and Windows Phone have been a runaway success? No they should stick to what they have and try to penetrate the market there. As of right now Bing and Windows Phone are non-existant in terms of market. Otherwise we're looking at another Kin and Zune.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
ok.....yea....whatever.

and dude. Wp8 is not failing. people know that. I have seen tones of people with a 920 In NZ. Stop spreading lies in my thread!

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
ok.....yea....whatever.

and dude. Wp8 is not failing. people know that. I have seen tones of people with a 920 In NZ. Stop spreading lies in my thread!
We're still 1 month into the OS release and already you've called it a success? Be realistic. So far Windows Phone (7+7.5+8) have a combined share of around 3% which is quite pathetic after over 2 years. Let's hope when Nokia releases its financial statement we get a better picture.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
ok. that's enough. I won't have augments here. now leave this thread alone. I won't have a person that called a member a hypocrite in an article. saying negative things in a thread I did. Don't you Dare backstab this thread.

show some maturity mate

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Ammar.

Go to AndroidCentral.

Seriously.

All you post here is how terrible you believe Microsoft products are and how terrible you believe they are selling, then how Google's efforts are incredible. AC is a far better home for you.

briankariu

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh God, I think MSfans are worse than Fandroids or iSheep.
Windows Phone7 was not a success, no matter how much you wish it to be.
Windows Phone 8, as good as it is, still has to penetrate the market.
In my honest opinion, Microsoft should just drop the pride, make good with google and give a dozen WP8 phones to top devs in both play store and iOs app store.
If they can stimulate developer interest, we may very well have a hit with windows phone 8

brianLTE

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs to focus on what they have and make it better. If they tried to get into everything they'd have a bunch of half baked projects like google. Gain more share before starting new projects.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
In my honest opinion, Microsoft should just drop the pride, make good with google and give a dozen WP8 phones to top devs in both play store and iOs app store.
I don't see how you haven't figured out that Google is the one who isn't playing nice here. They built out a product line that directly competes with Microsoft's, then proceeded to hinder the availability of those products on Microsoft's platforms.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If they can stimulate developer interest, we may very well have a hit with windows phone 8

Pretty sure they did that, or something very similar, but I could be wrong. I know there were some big things with developers prior to the launch.

To answer the OP, no MS should not create their own youtube from the ground up. However, if they can find a competitor or a couple of competitors which are already established, buy them, and combine their services, they might have something going. Starting from the ground up with the monster that youtube has become, isn't going to do it.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Youtube or a competitor aren't making or breaking the MS ecosystem. We have MetroTube which is better than the native Youtube apps on other platforms so it's not a big deal. MS needs to improve it's current services, add features and options people want, and make their services work together better and in ways no one else is doing to draw more people. They have good stuff, once they add a level of coolness and functionality noticeably beyond the others, people will come.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Buying Vimeo would be the best bet. It's the only good competitor to Youtube, I find myself using it once in a while simply because it's beautiful.

Microsoft needs to offer even more services.

They cannt accuse it to have a Monopoly now... Google is probably the next to be accused of such thing IMO.

I think Microsoft would have a winner in Vimeo.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Youtube or a competitor aren't making or breaking the MS ecosystem. We have MetroTube which is better than the native Youtube apps on other platforms so it's not a big deal. MS needs to improve it's current services, add features and options people want, and make their services work together better and in ways no one else is doing to draw more people. They have good stuff, once they add a level of coolness and functionality noticeably beyond the others, people will come.

Yeah features! damn Microsoft is always coming up with great ideas and it falls short features wise EVERY TIME.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Because Bing and Windows Phone have been a runaway success?

Windows Phone has had 300% growth over the past 45 days.

Bing has grown from 5% of searches (at launch) to 35% today.

I'd say those are both successful launches, yes.

And Microsoft should absolutely round out services with a competing video service. Make it easy to use with clients for all the major mobile OSes, and differentiate it from YouTube by getting rid of the mandatory 30 second and 15 second ads before playing video. Offer a "premium" version for $5/month that allows you to upload videos longer than 15 minutes.

Depending on Google is a mistake. Just look at how they altered their API (again) to break all third party YouTube apps (again).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077