Ubuntu VS WP*

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It means that soon you'll have to write your own drivers so your OS works on your device. More time will be spent troubleshooting the OS than actually using it. Sounds fun to me!

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Looks really good, if it's adopted by manufacturers and carriers could make some damage especially to android, this can be installed in current android phones.

dreester

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
What I find funny is that Ubuntu for smartphones looks more like Windows 8 than WP8 does. All those edge swipes to switch between apps or to view all open apps should've been implemented in WP8. Add in another swipe from the top to close an app and you're golden.

IE sucks less

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not even scared... the only time Linux was successful was when it was not called Linux... (Android) People will see Ubuntu and will be like "What the **** is that? It's an Android rip off!" I don't see much success for another Linux OS

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
What I find funny is that Ubuntu for smartphones looks more like Windows 8 than WP8 does. All those edge swipes to switch between apps or to view all open apps should've been implemented in WP8. Add in another swipe from the top to close an app and you're golden.

Yep, just copy WebOS/MeeGo and you'll be fine :D

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
From reading the reviews, it appears to be a laggy icon-centric OS, and crashed a couple of times during the review. In other words, Android but without the apps and Google spyware. Doesn't seem to set the world on fire...

kerryprsp

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not an analyst but I don't see this becoming one of the big players in the smartphone market or a legitimate threat to Windows Phone. Who knows what the market will be like by the time Ubuntu is ready to ship.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that matters:

Windows Phone 8: Available today from $0 (on two year contract)
Ubuntu: Not yet available, no firm ship date, no pricing

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Another big issue will be apps, especially games.

Many folks who like desktop Linux were never able to adopt it exclusively, due to the lack of games. Desktop Linux has finally gotten Steam as a beta.

Gaming on a Linux phone will problem be even more lacking than gaming on desktop Linux.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss