Charms Bar concept for WP8

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this was mentioned already as I didn't read all the posts.. But I read somewhere an idea someone had for swiping in a left menu for notification center.. Since you have start and swipe right and get the "all apps" page.

[notications] [start] [all apps]

that sort of format.. I really liked that idea and perhaps doing something like that and merging it with some of the stuff you pointed out there.. swipe right and you get a menu of popular settings and notifications... I like the concept of the buttons at the top and then instead of a series of drop down menus of sorts, change the page below.. I think that would be cool..

though I really do like the concept are you showed here.. I hope MS sees them.

If you read through what I wrote in my initial post, you would see that I mentioned this implementation also. I wouldn't say that would be a bad idea at all, I think that MS has to do something and bring a proper implementation of these features to this OS if they want it to grow on a larger scale. The way I see it, I think the charms implementation would work better as to get to what you want you never have to leave the page you're working within to get to the home screen and then swipe to the left, and after you're done to press the back button twice (or keep holding it) and tap to get back to where you left. This can be made easier with a charms-like implementation. It can be accessed from anywhere, you don't need to leave your work or navigate through different places to get where you want, it addresses more issues (including a universal search, a universal share button, showing date and time from anywhere and the closing an app issue), and more importantly, it makes sense with Windows 8 and the dream of having a one screen on different devices. Think of all the possibilities that you might get with this charms bar, it really surpasses anything implemented in other OS's, not just catches up with them.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. =)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My second attempt.

This time I have added the extra notification bits below the original quick toggle selection. The quick toggles are there so that there is no need to dive in to the settings menu. Many times while at work or other occaissions, I need to be able to quickly do one of those toggle items.

The bottom half is an at a glance of 3 areas. I wanted notifications to always be central but you can of course swipe left or right and go to either apps or tasks.

I have changed the charms. I have tried to incorporate a few different features. Following on from a comment above, I have swapped the "Start" one to now be a close/remove tool. This is used to drag a selected item(s) and remove them.

This is not designed to replace the notification centre, which I think should be a swipe away on left from the main screen. I may put together a larger one and mock up that screen if I have time. Mine is based around the volume buttons or (thanks for the suggestion) a long press on one of the capacitve buttons.

Sorry for the colour too, it is a bit harsh on the eyes and not as paletable as the light blue that Linking' used, but I started in that colour so carried on.

The items at the bottom are: Search, Select, Close/remove, Notifications, Settings.

All comments very welcome.

Attachments

• 3rd go.PNG
    3rd go.PNG
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Time, data connection, and ringer/vibrate should be implemented if you plan on taking the volume route.

Not got the time on mine, but I added call forwarding and alarm, may take them off. Regarding the notification size, This can be altered.

It was an idea I had before, it is not designed to replace a left move from the home screen as far as notifications goes. I have not got a Windows 8 PC, so I had not seen the charms before. I have altered the ones linking included, as these ones work for me better and have common phone icons.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Not got the time on mine, but I added call forwarding and alarm, may take them off. Regarding the notification size, This can be altered.

It was an idea I had before, it is not designed to replace a left move from the home screen as far as notifications goes. I have not got a Windows 8 PC, so I had not seen the charms before. I have altered the ones linking included, as these ones work for me better and have common phone icons.

Believe me, thr charms bar is the best thing that happened to Windows since Windows! It's really refreshing and it makes life easier. You have to try minipulating them to get a better understanding of why I think their implementation must be a necessity in WP!

I saw what other modifications you did to your design, I like the additions they bring, really.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I need to do one with the apps and tasks on. I did question the use of some of the charms. Search may not be necessary, as we have a capacitive button for that.

I am thinking of taking off some of the toggles, so that it frees up some space.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I love this idea! But isn't it redundant to include the start and search button? (I know it's part of the charm, but maybe we could put something else?)

EDIT: I think you guys should start a Kickstarter project lol

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the search bit about the charms, I was going to get rid of it from my next one. Got another idea that does not use toggle buttons, but would allow control of all sound and light settings in an interesting way. Would also free up some space for the notifications, apps, tasks areas.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I love this idea! But isn't it redundant to include the start and search button? (I know it's part of the charm, but maybe we could put something else?)

EDIT: I think you guys should start a Kickstarter project lol

The start button, probably yea, but I also put it there as while using large screened devices and with such an implementation, I guess it would be frustrating to keep reaching down every time you're handling the charms bar (which should be a lot) to reach for the physical start button. I really don't know but this is how I fee. Do you have any ideas for something to be put instead of the start button?

Now for the search button, it's really really important and different in functionality than the physical one. If you're familiar with Windows 8 you would get the universal search button and realize how important it is. You see, it searches within the downloaded apps within your phone locally, it also searches within apps themselves. For instance, if you searched for bananas, it would list the programs that contain internal search within them as a list, and if you press on any of them (say the Wikipedia app), it would launch a page within that app that contains this search result within. Believe me that is really really useful.

You may watch the video that I posted in the beginning of my thread, it is shown there clearly. Totally worth it!

The physical one can stay for web and Bing related searches, they are useful as well. Another suggestion is to use the physical search as an app related search, meaning if you where in the music player for instance, it would search within that app, or in contacts, it would launch the search in that app, etc.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
In the future I hope WP gets rid of the capacitive keys, like android and Windows 8. I would love to slide in from the left to switch apps (a la iOS) and see open apps (like W8), slide in from the bottom for an app's app bar, slide in from the right for charms bar, and slide in from the top to close an app. I would like 5 charms in the bottom: notifications, back, start, search (universal search, like W8), settings (quick settings and a link to all settings, like W8), as well as show the system tray at the top. I would also like these gestures to rotate with the screen. Because this is sort of complicated, I would add a REAL start button to the bottom bezel of the phone (like the ATIV S) just for getting to the start screen, double-tapping to open multitasking menu, and holding down to activate TellMe If you're at start and hit start, I would like to be taken to the last open app. I want groups and horizontal support in the start screen. When a user hits the notifications charm, they should be taken to a shortcut of the left side of the start screen, a notifications menu.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any ideas for something to be put instead of the start button?

Favorite/Recent App list? Right now, my imagination is dead. I'll post something when I get an idea.

The physical one can stay for web and Bing related searches, they are useful as well. Another suggestion is to use the physical search as an app related search, meaning if you where in the music player for instance, it would search within that app, or in contacts, it would launch the search in that app, etc.

I have Windows 8 myself, and it totally makes sense. I think for simplicity's sake, the charm search would be what you suggested, and physical search stays the same.

campbellc

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
What a great concept! Personally I like the second settings option. Also, would there be a notification icon counter on the lock screen?

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
What a great concept! Personally I like the second settings option. Also, would there be a notification icon counter on the lock screen?

I think the way that MS handles the notifications on lock screen is elegant enough, I would suggest though that they increase the number of apps that you can pull notifications from to 10 by afding another row at the bottom.

For the tray info, or even on the charms, a simple number can appear indicating the number of missed notifications. I forgot to do that as well, probably will do so at night. Thanks for the feedback mate. =)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb