We can finally start to estimate WP sales for Q4

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
First off, I have ner actually seen Bulls play Hockey. That would be something I buy tickets for, since the NHL doesn't find it as important.

Secondly, I did not state my point very well. Of course sales matter, but no matter HOW much they beat estimates, those sales from the 4th quarter will seem paltry compared to iOS and Android. This is what we found out when the 900 was launched.

But what the 900 did that no other launch of a WP is get Nokia and WP into prime time commercials and get the awarness up. That is what led to the increase curiosity of WP8, which led to more coverage of the launch of the devices, which led to better promotion, which led to beating those sales estimates. As BB10 will have a built in audince due to the BlackBerry name, and Android is Android, it is VITAL to WP getting over the hump that Nokia and other WP 8 devices stay in the minds of those looking to get phones in Q1 and Q2. That is why I believe that Q4 sales do not mean as much as the promotion of the devices. These sales figures are great, but need to continue to grow quarter over quarter.

This is why I still believe the Nokia 900 was the most important Windows device ever launched. Even if it di not meet sales expectations, it got WP in the mind of consumers. Huge.

I agree. One of my friends who has an iPhone commented to me that the 900 was Nokia's "first phone in the US in years". He had pretty much forgotten about them.

Speaking of Windows Phone 8, I was at the movie theatre on Wednesday with this friend. We saw an ad for Windows Phone 8 featuring the Nokia 920 and the HTC 8X.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
2.9 million is actually pretty damn good considering it competed with the two most popular phones ever in the same holiday season. You can't expect much more than that regardless of carrier availabilty.

The benefits of the exclusive contract is that AT&T and Microsoft foots the marketing bills and just about everything else while Nokia just takes in pure profit from that 2.9 million. Considering how large the task of battling the iphone 5 and GS3 in the same holiday season was, I would say that they made the right choice.

I can't imagine how much money Microsoft and HTC wasted on the 8x, especially adjusting manufacturing and adding a wireless charging plate last minute just for Verizon, just for a measly one million or less in sales.

Nokia totally played their cards right.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
2.9 million is actually pretty damn good considering it competed with the two most popular phones ever in the same holiday season. You can't expect much more than that regardless of carrier availabilty.

The benefits of the exclusive contract is that AT&T and Microsoft foots the marketing bills and just about everything else while Nokia just takes in pure profit from that 2.9 million. Considering how large the task of battling the iphone 5 and GS3 in the same holiday season was, I would say that they made the right choice.

I can't imagine how much money Microsoft and HTC wasted on the 8x, especially adjusting manufacturing and adding a wireless charging plate last minute just for Verizon, just for a measly one million or less in sales.

Nokia totally played their cards right.

2.9M WP8 phones would be a great result considering the limited availability of those during Q4. But where the **** does that number come from? It sure was not mentioned anywhere in the Nokia's press release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs