Samsung Faces Windows Phone Dilemma

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has the means to make some real got hot Windows Phone 8 devices.

I think the problem comes from the antiquated idea that you make a phone specifically for one OS.

Just allow the user to select the OS at setup, Windows Phone 8 or Android. Then the other OS install files get deleted.

With 16Gb or more a non issue.

The other design mistake is to actually print the front menu etc. buttons. They should use a longer display and simply display them.

They are touch most of the time anyways.

As to physical buttons, that is the biggest joke I know on mobile phones. Yes they work, but what a complicated thing to do when you have capacitive touch in the glass.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem comes from the antiquated idea that you make a phone specifically for one OS.

Just allow the user to select the OS at setup, Windows Phone 8 or Android. Then the other OS install files get deleted.

interesting... never thought of that, wonder if anyone would do it, on the other hand can WP use longer screen for the buttons? (i actually like physical buttons for some stuff, like volume and camera)

Skeeder

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Definitely interested to see how that turns out. If I recall Microsoft tried breaking into the market prior to wp8 getting a big push and they didn't get much of a nod from anyone. I was glad to see them partner with nokia. HTC....not as much. Samsung makes a great product, but I really like the idea of Nokia and Microsoft hanging out a bit longer before they open it up to EVERYONE. *and I plead...please do not do this! there are a thousand crappy androids because of this!*

aniym

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has the means to make some real got hot Windows Phone 8 devices.

With 16Gb or more a non issue.

The other design mistake is to actually print the front menu etc. buttons. They should use a longer display and simply display them.

They are touch most of the time anyways.

As to physical buttons, that is the biggest joke I know on mobile phones. Yes they work, but what a complicated thing to do when you have capacitive touch in the glass.

Reasons why this is a pipe dream:

1. Samsung (and in turn, you) will have to pay license fees for both Android AND Windows, just so you can have the choice of using them both (which most people won't even do).
2. "Let the customer decide" has never worked in the tech industry because computers/smartphones etc. are already too advanced for consumers to know what they want, let alone what is possible.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
All of it. Because without solid, verifiable data it's just conjecture on your part.

Ok, no problem...

The sgs3 is still for sale, point proven.

The opinion portion is irrelevant, to you, so ill skip it.

The unnamed sources are impossible for anyone to justify, skipped.

The fact that carriers are pushing the easiest phone to get you signed up on an expensive data plan is verifiable by you, in thirty minutes or less. Walk into a store, or try calling (lol) one and see if you get more sales pitches for the highest selling device vs a cheap, non smart, phone.

You'll find, just like I have, that cheap phones without data are not going to be pushed.

Today is sales numbers release day. I'm sure there will be a lot of links soon, if you don't believe in social experimenting on your own.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Reasons why this is a pipe dream:

1. Samsung (and in turn, you) will have to pay license fees for both Android AND Windows, just so you can have the choice of using them both (which most people won't even do).
2. "Let the customer decide" has never worked in the tech industry because computers/smartphones etc. are already too advanced for consumers to know what they want, let alone what is possible.

That's what I was thinking as well. Windows Phone is 40.00 I believe and I'm not sure what Android charges, if they do at all. Besides, I think Windows phone has pretty stringent hardware requirements. I remember years ago IBM gave the customer a choice between OS2 and Windows on some of their M series consumer units, but that didn't last long.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I agree with the others. This will not happen anytime soon.

That both iOS and WP deliberately run only on a very limited set of core hardware configurations (the SoC), which is a prerequisite to achieve the level of optimization they do, is just one technical reason.

Google would be the only company that wouldn't care. Everyone else would oppose it... carriers, MS, Apple and every single OEM...

Not happening.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
So with the news that Samsung wants to help MS push Windows Phone for enterprise it is becoming more apparent that they would like to put more effort in something aside from Android.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte