Should Microsoft give away Windows Phone?

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Matt Asay at The Register raises a rather interesting question: should Microsoft stop charging for the Windows Phone OS? (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/28/open_and_shut/)

He makes some interesting points. One that really stuck out for me is that WP is the only OS being sold to OEMs. Asas suggests Microsoft has more than enough cash to stop charging for the OS, and should do so if it wants a big slice of the mobile pie still making the switch to smartphones.

Sounds reasonable to me. What do you think?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So, how many Phone OS's are there? BB, Android, iOS, WP, Firefox, Ubunto, etc.

iOS is Apple only. BB have already said they'd be willing to license BB10 to OEMs (ie following the Microsoft model).

If Android hadn't been free at the start, would people have adopted it with the same vigor?

Firefox, Unbunto, Meego, etc will have no choice. they are minor OS's in a very big pond.

Lets not forget, Microsoft may charge for the OS, but Nokia are definitely getting big kickbacks, i bet HTC & Samsung are too.

Microsoft have sunk billions into WP so far, and are still getting $%^& all from it. I personally don't see them wanting to reduce the tiny income they get from it even more.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Two years old but points out that Android still has hidden costs.

Hey, Android People, Is It True That The All-In Cost Of Android Is Much Higher Than $15 Per Unit? - Business Insider

Microsoft could give away the OS for free but there's more incentive to keep charging for it. Sales are on the rise, other OEMs (like Huawei) are adopting the platform and Microsoft continues to partner with existing OEMs to push Windows Phone 8. In fact, they recently announced that they're teaming with Samsung to help take on RIM for business customers. OEMs will pay the licensing fee as long as sales are on the rise.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
No, and from what I've read, the fee is actually cheaper for the companies, lets take our good buddy Samsung for example. So they make a phone called the Galaxy SII, pretty much rip apples UI, and make the phone even look somewhat similar to an iphone, get sued somewhat for hardware, but mostly for the software. Now if they pay Microsoft for the OS, lets just assume at the most its 100$ per unit(which it probably isn't, but anyways), Now all they have to do is make a custom app or two and some drivers (and believe me Samsung apps nothing to run home about, HTC and nokia seem like the only 2 companies that put any thought into them, but hey that's my opinion), and for Samsungs sake, not even change the hardware, I mean the focus S is basically a galaxy sII and the ATIV S is for the most part, Identically the GS3 in a different shell. Then Microsoft has to worry about making and deploying the software instead of the millions of dollars Samsung must pay to modify android into their own OS and deploy it, not to mention that if there are any software lawsuits they go directly to Microsoft. I bet they probably save money.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes they should.

They need every advantage they can get at this point. Charging for OS licenses when they are trying to fight Android which has 75-80% marketshare to their 3-4% is absurd.

Microsoft would make far more money in the long run if they put a 2 year moratorium on charging for Windows Phone licenses to start, then see where they are in 2 years.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I was really happy to see that zte and Huawei were getting in the game. MS needs to go after the high and midrange which they are already doing a decent job at but targeting the low end like what zte and Huawei are doing will gain them a lot of market share in developing countries. And budget windows 8 phones run great, the same can't be said about android

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
No, and from what I've read, the fee is actually cheaper for the companies, lets take our good buddy Samsung for example. So they make a phone called the Galaxy SII, pretty much rip apples UI, and make the phone even look somewhat similar to an iphone, get sued somewhat for hardware, but mostly for the software. Now if they pay Microsoft for the OS, lets just assume at the most its 100$ per unit(which it probably isn't, but anyways), Now all they have to do is make a custom app or two and some drivers (and believe me Samsung apps nothing to run home about, HTC and nokia seem like the only 2 companies that put any thought into them, but hey that's my opinion), and for Samsungs sake, not even change the hardware, I mean the focus S is basically a galaxy sII and the ATIV S is for the most part, Identically the GS3 in a different shell. Then Microsoft has to worry about making and deploying the software instead of the millions of dollars Samsung must pay to modify android into their own OS and deploy it, not to mention that if there are any software lawsuits they go directly to Microsoft. I bet they probably save money.

+1 ,
from my understanding is when they (OEMs) license Microsoft's OS , they also pay royalties for Microsoft's patents that covers WP & the Office , so they get a license for it & they don't get sued for their Windows Phone devices ! they are on their own when it comes to Android !
Its like that old saying , "If You Wanna Cross The Bridge , You Better Pay The Toll"

As far as I know , the samsung devices involved in the lawsuits are running Android !

P.S. I think the Focus S is a lot better looking than the SGS II

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)