What Microsoft should learn from BlackBerry

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Only problem is the kernel...

I have been watching the black berry launch. What Microsoft need to learn is apps and games.... Why ?

BB made a dev tool that can take an android app and in most cases with out a single line of code change can convert it over to a BB10 app. Yes, you can download a Android app (from your fav warez site) and run it through this converter and sideload it into your blackberry 10 device with NO CHANGES in code and it will run fine in most cases. Some cases where it needs changes just where the keyboard pops up and any other hardware access but, most of you know, anything that just uses just the touch screen (games and most apps) would just convert with No changes in code.

Microsoft needs to create a tool that will take a iOS or Android app in it's finished form and convert it over to WP7/8 with almost no changes and maybe we can keep up. Also BB app cert is costs are very low, a lot lower than Microsoft, so BB does not make that much money right now and that leads Devs to say, What the **** ? Low cost, possable sales and no conversion time or costs ?

The biggest problem reviewers complaned a lot about is the selections of Apps on Windows Phone and it's still hit with that. If there was a lower level of converstion and lower cost to get started (or Microsoft's cut on sales) BB has a big hands up here and could be a case for worry for most Windows Phone users.

That app that is on Android that you have been watiing for...will be aviable for BB but, not Windows phone...because of this.

BB is starting with 70,000 apps and over 40% of them are conversions from Android apps....Dont you think that is sort of cheating ?

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
It's called the People hub.

There are two things I would like Microsoft to take from BB10 OS:

1. Notification Hub - The BB hub looks good but I am sure MS could make a great alternative.
2. Quick settings for wireless comms.

What mapping software is being used in BB10? I've seen mention of TomTom and even Bing.

DonMorris

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It's called the People hub.

I love the people hub, but it does not aggregate SMS, email, social networks and calls into a single list which i can check at a glance. The ability to act on those notifications would be even better.

This is not something that we are dreaming up. Microsoft themselves stated that a notification centre is on the cards and simply did not make the deadline.

web99

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Good God. A dying company puts out two new phones and Microsoft is suddenly crap.

Talk about hysteria.
I would not say that RIM/Blackberry is a dying company. It has 3 billion in cash and no debts. It is in a far better position than a lot of companies out there, especially with the new Z10 launch.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I would not say that RIM/Blackberry is a dying company. It has 3 billion in cash and no debts. It is in a far better position than a lot of companies out there, especially with the new Z10 launch.
I'm not sure about that. What companies exactly?

Nokia had debt free cash of 8 billion euros (that's something above 11 billion dollars?) when they developed Qt for mobile (that BB10 uses) and much of the UI elements you see in BB10 are from Nokia's Swipe UI.

The get OS on the ground these days needs a lot more, something that even Nokia at its way bigger size was not able to do. The app situation reminds me of Nokia's MeeGo so much. 90% of are non usable Android "ports" and rest is mostly hobbyist apps.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should only concentrate on PC , Forget about Mobile and Tablets.. They were never successful and they will never be successful. period

That would be a huge mistake. The PC is becoming less and less relevant. Tablets like the iPad are taking a big chunk out of laptop sales. Smartphones are becoming ubiquitous and there is still a huge untapped worldwide market for them, and unlike PCs, people buy a new smartphone every two years instead of upgrading them or living with what they've got for 5 or 6 years.

It's a good thing you aren't running Microsoft.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Good God. A dying company puts out two new phones and Microsoft is suddenly crap.

Talk about hysteria.

I wouldn't count Blackberry out just yet, they still have more market share than Windows Phone and they are just one OEM who enjoys 100% of that market to itself. I think Blackberry is going to be around for a while longer and it is going to a hard fight for Windows Phone. On the up side I think the competition will be healthy for Microsoft and encourage them to stop being so timid with Windows Phone, and that will be good for all of us. If Blackberry has a good year, expect to be very surprised by what you see in Windows Phone 8.5.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I think if BB doesn't hit it out of the park and their shares slide back down below $10 they'll get bought out by another company such as Lenovo

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Notifications too for me. I am both a long time Blackberry user and a huge fan and user of Windows Phone since the Lumia 800, 900, and now using the 920.

I think Lumia 920 is far superior to Blackberry. Only little things like notifications center, improved speaker performance, that needs a lot of work.

Other than that, I love my Lumia 920.
i have no issues with speakers.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
windows has something to learn from #BB
1. when windows phone8 was released it was just a incremental innovation on the part of MS(re-size live tiles, xbox music, more app support ) but if we see BB there **** lot of improvements in BB10 to be specific the new way of typing, BB hub and these are radical innovations.
2. what made windows phone a W.O.W. OS is the superb Hardware support, Nokia has made a lot of breakthroughs in mobile OS like Wcharging, OIstabilization so windows has to learn new way of doing things from Nokia.
os features are one thing but windows phone 8 improved primarily with what was limited due to hardware. tap+send? eq on the lumias resize tiles xbox rebranding improved people hub including rooms. new colors for themes, wifi stay alive (granted it didnt launch with it). Its easy to say blackberry improved the crap out of their os since its a brand new os........ os7 and bb10 are not the same and never will be so of course in comparison to os7 your looking at huge improvements but in reality its just an os built from the ground up so it cannot be really compared to their previous (iterations). and even if you did all blackberry was good for was email and communications but apps blew on it...

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Lessons to be learned from Blackberry:

1. Don't develop any newer technology for 2+ years so that your 1 year late launch of 8 month old hardware looks impressive.
2. Keep you loyal customers way behind competitive options so they will all line up day one for your 1 year late phone and create impressive demand.
3. Forget why those people stuck with BB to begin with and don't include many of the core features your old operating system had.

Those are the lessons that I got from Blackberry this past week and as a BB user since 2005 I will be getting an Ativ S this week.

People complain about WP7 not being upgradable but BB was the king of not upgradable. I had OS4.5 devices that would not take OS 5, OS5 that would not take 6, and my OS6 9800 could not be upgraded to os7 wich came out 3 months after I got my phone. At least windows came out with 7.8 which will give WP7 users a lot of the features of WP8.

Last edited:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

1. Don't develop any newer technology for 2+ years so that your 1 year late launch of 8 month old hardware looks impressive.
2. Keep you loyal customers way behind competitive options so they will all line up day one for your 1 year late phone and create impressive demand.
3. Forget why those people stuck with BB to begin with and don't include many of the core features your old operating system had.

Those are the lessons that I got from Blackberry this past week and as a BB user since 2005 I will be getting an Ativ S this week.

People complain about WP7 not being upgradable but BB was the king of not upgradable. I had OS4.5 devices that would not take OS 5, OS5 that would not take 6, and my OS9800 could not be upgraded to os7 wich came out 3 months after I got my phone. At least windows came out with 7.8 which will give WP7 users a lot of the features of WP8.
totally hit it on the head here, jeeze I do not miss BB.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
One thing BlackBerry learned from other manufacturers is to understock devices to make it appear as if it has sold out.

I have a friend who is a bit of a BB ****** and after using the Z10 over a day he has been greatly disappointed by some of the features that they have left out of BB10. I don't know what the features do since I never used a Blackberry device but it was enough for him to consider returning the phone to Rogers.

He's also been telling me how BB10 is smooth but many of the feature are counter-intuitive and the OS frequently locks up on him. The screen quality and battery life also is pretty bad according to him compared to his GS3.

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

People complain about WP7 not being upgradable but BB was the king of not upgradable. I had OS4.5 devices that would not take OS 5, OS5 that would not take 6, and my OS6 9800 could not be upgraded to os7 wich came out 3 months after I got my phone. At least windows came out with 7.8 which will give WP7 users a lot of the features of WP8.

I saw the the same thing my with brother ! Be bought a Curve 8900 (Software wasn't upgradable to the next version) & then a Torch 9800 (Same thing) & then a Bold (9900) & now a Z10
every phone he bought wasn't upgradable to the next OS !

You Forgot about NoDo , Mango & Tango !
People complain Microsoft is not pushing updates to Windows Phone & yet Microsoft released 3 major updates to Windows Phone 7 , Not to mention the 7.8 update thingy !
No body does that , Google usually stops supporting a device after a couple of big updates ! Apple might go for the 3 major ones ! but thats it

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the reason BB10 is looked at like revolutionary step from BB OS 7 with a lot of features , because OS 7.0 didn't really have anything comparable to iOS & Android ! OS 7 was built on top of the old platforms that pre-dated the iPhone ! So with the new BB10 they finally got some of the features we take for granted !

Also , as others said BlackBerry is pushing BB10 soooo hard because their survival is depending on it or they will get bought off like Palm ! Nokia is kinda in the same situation , but they are getting back on their feet slowly !

If anyone should've learned it is BlackBerry , Microsoft knew that Windows Mobile can't stand a chance against Apple's iOS & they built a new OS from the scratch ! while Nokia & BlackBerry thought their current offering back then can take on the iPhone & that didn't really work out well .
BB10 with BlackBerry now is like WP7 with Microsoft 2 years ! gotta start from the bottom & work your way up !

All companies should learn from each other ! thats the key to their success !!!
Imagine if no other manufacturers followed Cadillac's idea about using keys\ignitions to start the car ! we might be still using the cranks to start the car like toy ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs