HTC is ripping off Windows Phone! Kicks Microsoft in the back

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter. The way HTC is going they will not be around much longer. There loosing money on every platform they are invested in.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Ummmm...am I just not seeing the Live Tiles? All I see is a photo app with a new display layout, that seems to be pulling in a FB feed.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Ummmm...am I just not seeing the Live Tiles? All I see is a photo app with a new display layout, that seems to be pulling in a FB feed.
You're seeing a scrolling Facebook widget.

Live tiles are widgets, they just work differently. Scrolling widgets and widgets that rotate through photos have been on Android for 4+ years.

I don't know how long HTC has been doing Facebook widgets, but my wife has been using them on her HTC phone for years.

I'm not sure what Microsoft would have to sue over.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
No they're not.
It's my opinion that the Live Tiles on my Lumia are doing what few widgets that I use on my Nexus do, they just do it a different way. And they're the focal point of navigating the device.

I get that you don't agree with me. My opinion remains unchanged.

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Looks ok to me, could be a live wallpaper like the s3 photo one, it looks nothing like windows, its using flat simple colours that's as close as it gets. Destroying htc only harms Microsoft and frankly they have bigger issues like blackberry to deal with. Or should be.

iN8ter

Banned
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
No they're not.

Live Tiles do nothing Widgets haven't been doing on Android for years now. They're functionally widgets. It's part of the reason why a lot of people just aren't buying the hype behind them. They can make their Android phones "theirs" just like any Windows Phone.

Microsoft makes a bit deal about Live Tiles because without them, people would never know anything that's going on in their life (generally speaking) if they used a Windows Phone. The OS lacks a full, robust Notification System otherwise. On Android Badges and [Live] Widgets are supplementary to the Notification System. On Windows Phone, they basically ARE the Notification System - therefore more app developers make it a point to update them with badge counts or images, which is more than possible (and even technically superior) on Android (due to the lack of some limitations Microsoft places on Live Tiles in WP8).

The Tiles Microsoft has for Email, Calendar, Clock, Me etc. are only aesthetically different from the Clock, Email, Calendar, Social widgets that Android OEMs put into their devices - most of which are resizeable... The same way People/Me Hub was no different than FriendStream or Social Hub on HTC/Samsung Devices.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Live Tiles do nothing Widgets haven't been doing on Android for years now. They're functionally widgets. It's part of the reason why a lot of people just aren't buying the hype behind them. They can make their Android phones "theirs" just like any Windows Phone.

Microsoft makes a bit deal about Live Tiles because without them, people would never know anything that's going on in their life (generally speaking) if they used a Windows Phone. The OS lacks a full, robust Notification System otherwise. On Android Badges and [Live] Widgets are supplementary to the Notification System. On Windows Phone, they basically ARE the Notification System - therefore more app developers make it a point to update them with badge counts or images, which is more than possible (and even technically superior) on Android (due to the lack of some limitations Microsoft places on Live Tiles in WP8).

The Tiles Microsoft has for Email, Calendar, Clock, Me etc. are only aesthetically different from the Clock, Email, Calendar, Social widgets that Android OEMs put into their devices - most of which are resizeable... The same way People/Me Hub was no different than FriendStream or Social Hub on HTC/Samsung Devices.

Didn't know FriendStream and Social Hub actually linked my contacts over all social networks.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

This.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion