HTC is ripping off Windows Phone! Kicks Microsoft in the back

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
HTC and other phone makers can do whatever they want. I do not see it as kicking Microsoft in the back. At the end of the day they want to sell units.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
So you need to go to each social networking site online and set permission or opt in before the contacts are linked together?

When you log into Facebook from your phone it gives you the option to sync your Facebook contacts with existing contacts, sync all Facebook contacts, or don't sync.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
BB10's tiles seem more like WebOS's cards
I haven't seen a Z10 in action yet, but that style of tile or widget seems more Android like to me.

That swipe on the cards of the Playbook, that's webOS cards all the way. If the Z10 does that, that's disappointing.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
LOL this should surprise no one.

They ripped off Nokia with the 8X.

Samsung blatantly ripped off Apple.

I hate to say it... but once you get east of Europe and West of the United States, the creativity level and originality drops to about zero.

It's just a mad culture of copycats in that part of the world. It doesn't even seem to be considered dishonorable or immoral to imitate other people's work if you can't come up with your own. It's a cultural difference which I don't really understand, but it's pretty obvious unless you are purposely refusing to see it. American and European companies have lost billions over the years because of direct knockoffs and imitators coming from that part of the world. Patent law and ingenuity is just non-existent there.

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
LOL this should surprise no one.

They ripped off Nokia with the 8X.

Samsung blatantly ripped off Apple.

I hate to say it... but once you get east of Europe and West of the United States, the creativity level and originality drops to about zero.

It's just a mad culture of copycats in that part of the world. It doesn't even seem to be considered dishonorable or immoral to imitate other people's work if you can't come up with your own. It's a cultural difference which I don't really understand, but it's pretty obvious unless you are purposely refusing to see it. American and European companies have lost billions over the years because of direct knockoffs and imitators coming from that part of the world. Patent law and ingenuity is just non-existent there.
Everyone does it, including American company's. Htc and Samsung and the rest have improved on many things. Just because someone came up with an idea doesn't mean it cant, or shouldn't be improved upon.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's my opinion that the Live Tiles on my Lumia are doing what few widgets that I use on my Nexus do, they just do it a different way. And they're the focal point of navigating the device.

I get that you don't agree with me. My opinion remains unchanged.

It is a fact that live tiles are not widgets...sorry if that contradicts your "opinion"...

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It is a fact that live tiles are not widgets...sorry if that contradicts your "opinion"...

You're right insofar as they play a slightly different role in the ecosystem of the phone, but wrong in what they actually do, which is the exact same thing. A live tile dynamically displays information from a program that is not currently active. Which is exactly what a widget does.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Live Tiles and widgets are functionally the same thing. If you want to argue semantics, go ahead.

Live Tiles present information like widgets, just with a lot less functionality than widgets.

If it makes you happy to disagree, you should do that.

dukrem

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
On Windows Phone, they basically ARE the Notification System - therefore more app developers make it a point to update them with badge counts or images, which is more than possible (and even technically superior) on Android (due to the lack of some limitations Microsoft places on Live Tiles in WP8).

This! If Microsoft wants this to be the notification system there need to be less restrictions on what can be done with live tiles - how often they can update, content of the tile, layout of content on the tiles - all needs to be more flexible for this system to work. The restrictions were effective when the processing power was limited to single core in wp7, but now with dual core and soon quad core WP8 devices that are more efficient we can afford to have less restrictions on live tiles. I would love widget like ability for my live tiles.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Widgets are applets. Live Tiles are icons which display information.

Widgets have interactivity. Live Tiles do not.

Widgets are not Live Tiles and vice-versa.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Live Tiles do nothing Widgets haven't been doing on Android for years now. They're functionally widgets. It's part of the reason why a lot of people just aren't buying the hype behind them. They can make their Android phones "theirs" just like any Windows Phone.
I disagree with this statement. While Live Tiles are essentially widgets, they are a VASTLY SUPERIOR implementation to that in Android and it is NOT POSSIBLE to make your Android phone like a Windows Phone. Have you ever tried having a homescreen full of widgets on Android? How many widgets fit on one screen???

Widgets have been around forever... On the PC before even Android and no one ever used them because their implementation is SO HORRIBLE. On Android, widgets will 1) have a serious toll on your cpu, 2) eat through your battery life, 3) take up a huge part of your screen, 4) consume data and 5) mostly look unorganized, sloppy, and aesthetically unattractive. Your Samsung Galaxy S III is not going to support as many widgets as live tiles on an ancient, first gen Samsung Focus.

WIndows Phone has many flaws. I want Swype and multiple browsers and feel that Windows Phone is locked down. But when it comes to live tiles, I will acknowledge this is a unique feature of Windows Phone. As a matter of fact, I find the entire Android homescreen phenomenon to be a mess. Do you ever wonder why iPhone owners don't envy over Android homescreens? Or why Android modders are boasting about the battery life after killing/disabling background tasks? Its better to just not have a homescreen on Android at all.

Last edited:

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I really think that phones looks hot. The iPhone is cool looking, but I hate touching it compared to the nice poly carbonate phones that Nokia and HTC have pulled off. So a Polycarb iPhone running Super Sense or whatever they call it might be compelling.

I would love to see HTC actually sell the phones they deserve to, why the GS3 is so popular and the One X has had so little traction by comparison bothers me. But I know why, Samsung advertises like crazy.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You're right insofar as they play a slightly different role in the ecosystem of the phone, but wrong in what they actually do, which is the exact same thing. A live tile dynamically displays information from a program that is not currently active. Which is exactly what a widget does.

Their core functionality is different, in the way that they poll for information. There are blogs from several WP team members detailing the differences between the two. (like how a single widget causes more battery discharge than an entire start screen full of live tiles) Look them up yourself and get educated.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720