will things get better for Windows Phone?

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I know we constantly say windows phone will gain market share get better etc but when will we really see it become the third platform? On a side note, do you think that windows phones on the low end offer a better experience than equivalent Androids because of the OS?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I know we constantly say windows phone will gain market share get better etc but when will we really see it become the third platform? On a side note, do you think that windows phones on the low end offer a better experience than equivalent Androids because of the OS?

When I look at the HTC One, I see stagnation. It's nothing new anymore, just pumped specs and the realization of an idea for the camera that I think everybody had since the "megapixel-race" began. When I look at the iPhone 5, I see even worse stagnation, a new row of icons, that's about it.

And this could really be a chance for Windows Phone.

Also I think that low end Windows Phone devices really shine, after all they offer all the functionality of the high end devices.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, looking at the present situation, they only have to get it better for all reasons :) When and how no body knows. Everyone can have their own predictions...

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes it will get better but dont expect Android domination to end anytime soon.

they have the most phones and some sell for 50$ here so its impossible to compete for Apple or MS that sells of high prices.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i personally think that we just have to desensitive people to metro which will be everywhere in a year or so. once people are familiar with metro philosophy then we will see real adoption. i think people are just scared or being told to be scared about new platforms and designs.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, we know that Nokia has production capacity for maximum of 30-35M Lumia devices available for 2013 depending on the source. If Nokia continues to sell 80% of the WP devices, that would mean approximately 40M sold WP devices this year at max assuming the current demand for Lumia devices continue. This should be enough for WP to establish the third platform position if we don't count the quite large base of Symbian handsets still out there.

Only real contender for WP is Blackberry, which would have to sell quite a large number of handsets to stop their decline and I just don't see them having that kind of traction or production capacity by themselves. I don't see much competition from the Linux world (Ubuntu, Tizen, Jolla and Firefox) either, they're simply too divided and small to compete.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
When I look at the HTC One, I see stagnation. It's nothing new anymore, just pumped specs and the realization of an idea for the camera that I think everybody had since the "megapixel-race" began. When I look at the iPhone 5, I see even worse stagnation, a new row of icons, that's about it.

And this could really be a chance for Windows Phone.

Spreading tiles fully across the screen isn't exactly amazing either. Just saying.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Spreading tiles fully across the screen isn't exactly amazing either. Just saying.

No, maybe not for everybody. That's not my point. I've just always felt as if WP was behind the competition, but if they bring nothing new, then Microsoft gets time to catch up.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

But that's the problem--is that getting better? Things are certainly improving in some important ways, but after the huge launch of a new OS with new, competitive phones that was tied into the simultaneous launch of new desktop and tablet OS during a holiday season, WP still lost ground to iOS and Android. Windows Phone had a window between the launch of the iPhone 5 and the unveiling of BB10 to do something big, and they still lost marketshare. And now this year's line of Android phones is being announced.
I agree that things are improving, but it could be a long, slow climb out of the smartphone basement, rather than a big jump up. There's even more competition now than there was in the fall, as strange as that sounds.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
How successful the OS is depends entirely on how quickly MS gets it up to speed. Not looking good so far. MS will stay 3rd only because BB doesn't have an ecosystem to support phone. But, it will be a distant 3rd for a long time if MS doesn't give people what they want. If it becomes a contender, it will be couple of years. Its been almost 5months and WP8 is behind in so many aspects I almost wish I would have stuck with BB. At least I would get all my notifications. W8 and RT are close but WP8 is a joke right now.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
But that's the problem--is that getting better? Things are certainly improving in some important ways, but after the huge launch of a new OS with new, competitive phones that was tied into the simultaneous launch of new desktop and tablet OS during a holiday season, WP still lost ground to iOS and Android. Windows Phone had a window between the launch of the iPhone 5 and the unveiling of BB10 to do something big, and they still lost marketshare. And now this year's line of Android phones is being announced.
I agree that things are improving, but it could be a long, slow climb out of the smartphone basement, rather than a big jump up. There's even more competition now than there was in the fall, as strange as that sounds.

Windows Phone continues to take a beating in the US, no question about that. However, things look (and I say this loosely) better when looking at worldwide market share.

Android and iOS Combine for 91.1% of the Worldwide Smartphone OS Market in 4Q12 and 87.6% for the Year, According to IDC | Business Wire

market worldwide.png

True, RIMBerry did sell more in 2012 but they were still down 36.4% whereas WP was up by 98.9%. But you can also see that BB and WP combined still can't touch iOS, let alone Android. Furthermore, the smartphone market is still growing hence why WP sales can be up even while its market share is stagnate. Nonetheless, the numbers for WPs are at least going up.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone continues to take a beating in the US, no question about that. However, things look (and I say this loosely) better when looking at worldwide market share.

Android and iOS Combine for 91.1% of the Worldwide Smartphone OS Market in 4Q12 and 87.6% for the Year, According to IDC | Business Wire

View attachment 29069

True, RIMBerry did sell more in 2012 but they were still down 36.4% whereas WP was up by 98.9%. But you can also see that BB and WP combined still can't touch iOS, let alone Android. Furthermore, the smartphone market is still growing hence why WP sales can be up even while its market share is stagnate. Nonetheless, the numbers for WPs are at least going up.

Yeah, that's the problem--the market is expanding, but faster than WP's growth. I think what it comes down to is there was a real opportunity (maybe) and the needle didn't move much. So now the task becomes that much harder. I can't imagine Microsoft ever pulling an HP and pulling the rug out under Windows Phone, so in that sense things will always get better.
There's a reason consumers haven't taken to Windows Phone, and until someone at Microsoft figures out why it's gonna be rough going. My brother was a first-time smartphone buyer this past weekend, and I told him to check out the 822 (he's on Verizon) and he came home with an iPhone 5.

justreason

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Android can be found on 372168358926 devices.. whether it is prepaid, postpaid.. at CVS, BestBuy .. worldwide.. they used microsofts blueprint of tackling the world with windows software..

its crazy when I can go to cvs and buy an android tablet and phone for around 50-75 bucks.. an otterbox case for an iPhone is that much.. or wireless charging plate for a 920 is..

with that said windows won't be number one EVER.. but replacing apple at number would be victory in my eyes..

Posted from my Windows Surface RT.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
^ it's hard to replace number 2 when you only aim for number 3. I still can't believe that their goal was to achieve 3rd place. I've never met a person who aimed for 3rd, let alone a billion dollar corporation.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Android can be found on 372168358926 devices.. whether it is prepaid, postpaid.. at CVS, BestBuy .. worldwide.. they used microsofts blueprint of tackling the world with windows software..

its crazy when I can go to cvs and buy an android tablet and phone for around 50-75 bucks.. an otterbox case for an iPhone is that much.. or wireless charging plate for a 920 is..

with that said windows won't be number one EVER.. but replacing apple at number would be victory in my eyes..

Posted from my Windows Surface RT.

That's pretty much it with Android at the moment. Aside from the tech guys that want Android, the masses are scooping up Android phones because they are so widely available and seen as the cheaper alternative to an iPhone. In that regard Android has the market already flooded and it will be tough for MS to get their low end phones out there in the same manner.

Whoever thought when Android came out that it would be able to catch iOS, let alone get ahead of it.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty much it with Android at the moment. Aside from the tech guys that want Android, the masses are scooping up Android phones because they are so widely available and seen as the cheaper alternative to an iPhone. In that regard Android has the market already flooded and it will be tough for MS to get their low end phones out there in the same manner.

Whoever thought when Android came out that it would be able to catch iOS, let alone get ahead of it.

This argument that Android's success is due to price doesn't in itself make much sense. Samsung has sold 10s of millions of Galaxy S2s and 3s at a price no different from the iPhone or the 920--and the bulk of their sales have come in the quarter of, and immediately after launch when the price is still high. If price were the primary concern, consumers would be snapping up Windows Phones like hotcakes during those buy-one-get-one specials and sales. I'm sure plenty of low-price phones are sold (and I'm sure plenty of 4/4S iPhones are still sold, maybe moreso than the iPhone 5) but the consumer technology sector is seeing massive declines in every area but tablets and smartphones as consumers reallocate their spending to those two areas. Price is less of a concern than it was--if you only need to replace your PC every 4 years, and you're basically set on your flat panel TV, you spend that money on a phone or tablet.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
The question is...

Is Microsoft really supporting the platform?

- Where are the Microsoft games for WP? aside shogun of the skulls, there are not more Microsoft Studios games.
- What about Skype supporting Android and iOS with more features than WP?
- And what about the tiles problem?
- And about WP games on Android and iOS devices?

I'm not sure if MS take WP as a serious platform.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Of course it makes sense. Galaxy S2, S3, Note 1, Note 2 are a drop in the bucket when considering the total number of Android handsets sold. Every carrier around the world is peddling some kind of low budget Android device while not all carriers have WP devices. If Nokia can manage to get their low end devices on to more carriers, especially in Europe and Asia things will start to change. The market is saturated with Android devices so it will take some time to change that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte